Started by Private User on Sunday, February 11, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
2/11/2018 at 7:26 PM

Hi.

I have sufficient reason to believe that the current wife and parents of Francois Hamel are not correct and should be removed as to not perpetuate a myth. Here are the facts:

The reason I said it is wrong is because I talked to a couple people of note today about the issue. One is someone who has been researching the Hamel history for over twenty years and another is a person living in France who cannot find proof in Averismil of his parentage and his marriage to Anne Hayott.

So, I suggest that we take them down until we know what's going on. I will open a discussion. However, I think we should probably remove them as I have evidence here: http://recherche.archivesdepartementales76.net/?id=viewer&doc=a...

We would replace her with Catherine Carpentier. Here is what the genealogist had to say:

That is the Avremesnil archives that prove Francois Hamel was married to Catherine Carpentier. Once you arrive at the record book, go to page 47. The burial record of Catherine Carpentier, wife of Fracois Hamel, is on the left-hand page, second from the bottom.

There are no records that prove those are the parents. They aren't even on Nos Origines.

It would be best to disconnect them rather than to perpetuate a myth. There are also records of him being married to a Marie Lozier:

https://gw.geneanet.org/ctruffier?n=hamel&oc=1&p=charles

This translates to:

Charles and Jean Hamel Ancestors of the Hamel of America It is from the municipality of â € š¬â € ž ¢ Avremesnil located in the canton of Bacqueville-en-Caux, district of Dieppe, that we arrive at Quebec, in 1656 , two brothers Hamel. Son of François Hamel and Marie, of unknown name, Charles Hamel was born around 1624 and Jean Hamel around 1635. The eldest, Charles Hamel married Judith Auvray in Avremesnil around 1650. The youngest, Jean Hamel, married Marie Auvray, around 1660, after going to Avremesnil, in French Normandy. The two brothers then moved to the seigneury of Sillery, in Acienne-Lorette, in 1662. In 1667, the enumerators found the brothers on the Saint-Michel coast, 2 kilometers away. € š¬â € ¢ one of the â € š¬â € ž ¢ other. Jean Hamel was installed on the land of Nicolas Gaudry, known as Bourbonnière, whom he bought in 1665, after having been in Paris. € ž ¢ employment of Jean Gloria, compatriot of the Hamel brothers, who became a notary in 1663, but died in October 1668. The land of Jean Hamel went from chemin Sainte-Foy to Wilfrid-Hamel boulevard, east of the street Mackay. Jean and Marie Auvray become parents of six children including four sons. Jean-François Hamel, born in 1661, married on April 23, 1685, Anne-Félicité Levasseur, dit Chaverlange, born in 1667, daughter of the ancestor Jean Levasseur and Marguerite Richard. Jean-François and Anne-Félicité have six sons and eleven girls
together. Unfortunately, they lost five children under the age of nine - at the beginning of January 1701 - in a fire in their home. Despite this, one of the surviving girls links us to the ancestor. Félicité Hamel married on May 2, 1709, Noël Beaupré, born on November 13, 1684, son of Ignace Bonhomme, known as Beaupré, and Agnès Morin. The â € œâ € ™ ancestor Jean Hamel dies aged â € ~â € ™ about 40 years only, October 11, 1674
and he received his burial on October 13th, in the cemetery of Quebec. His widow, Marie Auvray, married in second marriage, in December 1679, Rene Pelletier, but the union remains without posterity. Marie dies at the beginning of the year 1716.

Catherine Carpentier death certificate:

http://recherche.archivesdepartementales76.net/?id=viewer&doc=a...=

Frame 47/69

Burial on June 25th 1646

François HAMEL, "blattier", passed away in 1657

Frame 51/69

Dead on March 5th 1657, burial the next day

There is more information too. I have been accumulating it all in this thread on wikitree: https://www.wikitree.com/g2g/526039/sprucing-up-the-profile-of-fran...

This is all through a researcher in France and someone who, like me, has connections with the Hamel family,

Private User
2/13/2018 at 8:46 PM

If no one has any objections, I am going to ask for his profile to be edited.

Private User
2/15/2018 at 4:07 PM

Here is proof that Francois is the husband of Catherine Carpentier. Her burial record can be found on page 47 of the Aversnil register: http://recherche.archivesdepartementales76.net/?id=viewer&doc=a...=

Her record is on the left-hand page, second from the bottom.

Private User
2/15/2018 at 5:02 PM

Profile for wife created: Catherine Carpentier dite Lapierre

8/12/2018 at 2:38 PM

My François Hamel Hamel was born abt 1816 in France, Married Eufrasie LePetit b abt 1826 in France. Any connection?

Private User
8/20/2018 at 11:43 AM

Probably not.

5/11/2023 at 11:50 AM

As per the information supplied by Private User, I will be removing the parents.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion