Benjamin Franklin -Any relations/cousins out there?

Started by Carolina Elena Barillas on Sunday, February 11, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 27 posts
2/11/2018 at 1:32 PM

I was reading the September 2017 copy of the Smithsonian magazine. It had two fascinating articles in it. One of them was about Benjamin Franklin and why he stayed so long in England away from his wife. It had genealogical information for anyone needing it. This is what I got from it.

Benjamin Franklin---common law marriage to Deborah Read--(she was married to a John Rogers because her mother deemed Benjamin an unworthy prospect. Just weeks into her marriage to John Rogers word reached her that he had another wife in England. She left him and he squandered her dowry and disappeared. She remained legally married to him. She could not remarry without church sanction. At some point she was told that John Rogers had died. That would have freed her to remarry formally but it was impractically expensive and a long shot besides.) DATE OF COMMON LAW MARRIAGE-September 1st, 1730. She just moved in with him.
-----SON---Francis Folger Franklin-BORN: October 20, 1732- DIED from SMALLPOX November 21,1736
----DAUGHTER-Sarah-("Sally")BORN 1739 She married RICHARD BACHE SR.- their SON was BENJAMIN FRANKLIN BACHE BORN 1764
---SON (bastard son from another woman that he and Deborah raised together) William ?
---BROTHER-- James>> son JAMES FRANKLIN JR. He and Deborah raised him after his brother James died.

Benjamin Franklin had two sons – one legitimate son who died in early childhood, and an illegitimate son named William Franklin. William sired his own illegitimate son, William Temple Franklin. William Temple Franklin worked with his famous grandfather and sired his own illegitimate children, including son Theodore or Theophile Franklin. ***Theodore’s death in infancy ended the line of Benjamin Franklin’s direct male descendants.****
The Geni link below has alot of information.!

Benjamin Franklin, Signer of the "Declaration of Independence"
--SISTER-Jane

2/11/2018 at 1:40 PM

BTW... his mother was a FOLGER and a descendant started the coffee company.:)

I am a 10th cousin 9 times removed. :)

2/11/2018 at 2:13 PM

I am such a fan of Ben Franklin & his family. :)

There's a theory that William Franklin may in fact have been Debbie Read's child after all, based on a cryptic comment from Ben that "I righted a great wrong as best I could."

Also they met on his first day in Philadelphia (he had run away from home). He was covered in bread & looked ridiculous. :):). And then he, by chance, ended up boarding with her parents.

2/11/2018 at 2:15 PM

There is a terrific recent book about his sister Jane Mecom

2/11/2018 at 2:19 PM

I'm showing 9th cousin X 8

https://www.geni.com/path/Erica-Howton+is+related+to+Benjamin-Frank...

Through the Folgers

Private User
2/11/2018 at 4:14 PM

7th cousin 11 times removed through Folger as well.

2/12/2018 at 3:14 AM

@Arthur Wilkings: It looks like we are 14th cousins 6 times removed.

2/12/2018 at 10:51 AM

James William Franklin, II is not known to have descended from this line of Franklins.

I have Franklins in Alabama. They aren't related either.

2/12/2018 at 11:14 AM

The last of the Franklins ...

Maria Hanbury

2/12/2018 at 11:23 AM

I`m related to him twice, 11th cousin 7 times removed & 10th cousin 9 times removed both of them are on my dads side through the Folgers.

2/12/2018 at 1:34 PM

8th cousin 9 times removed

Private User
2/13/2018 at 12:44 PM

10th cousin 10 times removed.

2/13/2018 at 7:13 PM

12C 4R via his mom...

2/13/2018 at 7:39 PM

Do I detect a Farflung Folger Family?

Private User
2/14/2018 at 7:52 PM
2/15/2018 at 12:57 AM

You
→ Judith Carol Sanderson
your mother → Robert Newton Johnson
her father → Pearl Ethel Johnson
his mother → Sarah "Sallie" Lesley
her mother → Catherine Martha Ariail
her mother → Lucinda Parthenia Craig
her mother → Martha Gresham
her mother → William Anson Halbert, Sr.
her father → Elizabeth Frances Halbert
his mother → John Armstrong Jones
her father → Mary Jones
his mother → Thomas Batte
her father → Martha Katherine Mallory
his mother → Rev. Thomas Mallory, Dean of Chester
her father → Sir William Mallory, Sheriff of Yorkshire, MP
his father → Sir William Mallory, of Hutton Park and Studley, Yorks.
his father → Sir John Mallory, Knight
his father → Joan Mallory
his mother → Margaret (or Marian) Holmes
her sister → Thomas Holmes
her son → John Holmes
his son → Lady Agnes Vanderbecke Lawrence
his daughter → Margaret Elmy
her daughter → Alice Gibbs
her daughter → Meribah Folger
her daughter → Peter Folger
her son → Abiah Franklin
his daughter → Benjamin Franklin, Signer of the "Declaration of Independence"
her son

He is my 9th cousin 9 times removed, possibly.

2/17/2018 at 10:44 AM

9th cousin, 8 times removed through daughter Abiah

2/17/2018 at 10:46 AM

I mean his mother!

2/18/2018 at 7:20 AM

xth Cousin x times removed through Ben's aunt, Bethshua Folger Pope. She was one of the Salem witch accusers, as was her daughter....

12/26/2018 at 2:39 PM

My 9th Great Uncle through Josiah Franklin and Anne Child

12/27/2018 at 12:28 PM

he is my twelfth cousin eight times removed

1/1/2019 at 11:58 AM

He's the direct descendant of the brother of Isabella of Gloucester (my 23rd great grandmother). I guess that makes me related...?

1/1/2019 at 1:21 PM

I was always hoping someone would look into the Capt. Capel Hanbury, Esq family more. He married the last descendant of Ben Franklin, no children.

1/5/2019 at 7:51 AM

He is my 1st cousin 9x removed

Private User
4/4/2022 at 8:50 PM

Is there any male Josiah Franklin DNA line posted ? Or the mt DNA line of Abiah Folger?

4/4/2022 at 10:31 PM

There is no living male descent from Josiah Franklin, the line daughtered out, and the last female descendant died childless after 1875: Maria Hanbury

Pretty sure there’s plenty of Folgers around still, so you’d want to look at Abiah’s sisters for their daughters.

Private User
10/5/2023 at 12:53 AM

Benjamin Franklins grandfather Peter folger (The first purchaser of Nantucket, Massachusetts,) is my 9th great grandfather. Making Benjamin Franklin my 1st cousin 9X removed. His mother Abiah lee folger is my 8th great grand aunt. His uncle Eleazer Folger is my 8th ggf and Benjamin Franklins first cousin through his uncle Eleazer is my 7th ggm Mary folger, Eleazers daughter. who died young only 2 years following the birth of her daughter Pricilla who is Benjamin franklins 1st cousin 1X removed she is my 6th ggm and Benjamin Franklin was alive during the birth her grand daughter Ruth Fish (1785-1845) who is my 4th ggm Benjamin franklins 1st cousin 3X removed 😏

Showing all 27 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion