Isabel de la Lee, I - 2 sets of Parents - No documentation

Started by Judith "Judi" Elaine (McKee) Burns on Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Showing all 5 posts
1/31/2018 at 12:16 AM

Sir William de la Lee, Lord of Shutford and La Lee
Birth: 1255
Managed by: Teddy Nadeau
Son of NN de la Lee and NN de la Lee (NN)
Husband of Agnes de Lee (NN)
Father of Isabel de la Lee, I

Hugh de Standish, of Duxbury
Birth: estimated between 1235 and 1295
Immediate Family:
Husband of Alice Standish (De Molyneux)
Father of Isabel de la Lee, I
Added by: Debbie Bell on October 5, 2016
Managed by: Debbie Bell

1/31/2018 at 6:18 AM

Judi

Given the lack other sources, this one was more of an exercise in logic; the little evidence we have suggests that de la Lee is William's surname. Not guaranteed but better than 50% chance I would say.

1/31/2018 at 8:03 AM

Will Chapman (Vol. Curator) I'm thinking various Isabael's have been conflated & should be made MP

I undid a bad merge from a while ago and found notes in a daughter's profile

Isabel Danvers (Lee)

Isabel de la Lee was the daughter of William de la Lee. She was born c.1349 in Oxfordshire, possibly at La Lee. She married John Danvers of Bourton and Ipswell. She was the mother of Richard Danvers of Ipswell. She died at Ipswell, Oxfordshire, England c.1384, although a few sources have date of death as late as 1410. Many documents show her name as Isabel, but a few show it as Elizabeth. The names were interchangeable during this era, one being English, the other from the Latin.

The family was from La Lee, a hamlet near Swalecliffe. The vicar of the area church is recorded as saying Mass at the de la Lee chapel three times a week. Her mother's name is believed to be Isabel, but the surname is not known. Managers should use caution NOT to merge mother and daughter.

Links to additional material:

http://www.archive.org/stream/memorialsofdanve00macn#page/n66/mode/1up - genealogical chart of the Danvers/d'Anvers family, showing the marriage to John Danvers.

1/31/2018 at 8:10 AM

Scrambled generations ?

http://knight-france.com/geneal/names/3479.htm

[there is not enough credible information about the DE LA LEE family]

Source <Source <Memorials of the Danvers family (of Dauntsey and Culworth) : their ancestors and descendants from the conquest till the termination of the eighteenth century. ...>:
"...In the year 1316 William de La Lee is summoned as one of the lords of La Lee and Shutford, and in the year 1347 he appears in a lay subsidy roll (Oxon W-) ^ Swalecliffe. This William appears to have been the son of William and Agnes, of the Boll of the Hundreds, and was probably the father of Isabel, the wife of John Danvers. ...

In the 34 Edward I. (1305), Oxon fine, No. 209, Will de La Lee and his wife Isabel sell land. Oxon fines of 36 and 42 Henry III., William de La Lee buys land in Shutford and in Banbury, and in 22 Edward I. Will de La Lee and his wife Agnes buy land in Banbury. Amongst the ancient charters, vol. xviii.. No. 255, charter of Nich. de La Lee to monks of Bordesley, and again Aug. No. 245, vol. x., Peter, son of Nicholas de La Lee gives land in La Lee to Brueme Abbey ; and amongst the charters in the Thame Abbey register is one of Geoffirey de La Lee giving land to that abbey. ..."

2/1/2018 at 1:09 PM

I did some cleanup on this family yesterday and whilst there are still some iffy spots, should be better.

Isabel de la Lee who had had 2 sets of parents on offer now has none.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion