Started by Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert on Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 29 posts
1/23/2018 at 9:34 PM

Hello Everyone,

I see that Isaac Allerton is listed as the son of Edward Allerton and Rose Davis and I was wondering if there was any proof behind this connection. From what I can find, there are no definitive clues about his parentage. There is no research that I have been able to find that support Isaac being the son of Rose and Edward, they just happen do be an Allerton couple from around where he possibly came from and not even the only ones at that (there was also apparently Robert Allerton and Grizzell Playne). It also appears as though another researcher found evidence that suggests he might be the son of a Bartholomew Allerton.

https://books.google.com/books?id=FzYQ4ZsyJoUC&pg=PA29&lpg=...

I was wondering if someone had some evidence that showed his relationship to Edward and Rose, and if not, what the thoughts are on removing Edward and Rose as his parents. The same would go for his sister Sarah, as well as John Allerton.
Thanks,
Tamas

John Allerton, "Mayflower" Passenger
Sarah Godbertz

1/23/2018 at 10:01 PM

References

http://mayflowerhistory.com/allerton-isaac/

Isaac Allerton may have come from the vicinity of Ipswich, co. Suffolk, England.  He first appears in Leiden, Holland records on 4 November 1611, when he married Mary Norris.  Isaac had a sister named Sarah who also resided in Leiden, and who married future Mayflower passenger Degory Priest.  He was probably also related, perhaps a brother, to Mayflower passenger John Allerton.

-----

(Johnson is probably more up to date than Anderson's Great Migration Begins, and even than the Mayflower Society publications)

1/23/2018 at 10:01 PM

Roland Henry Baker, III do you know of any recent articles on the topic?

Private User
1/24/2018 at 5:29 AM

Just to make life even more confusing, some Allertons of this line show up in Virginia in the next generation - why they went *there* instead of staying put or moving to Rhode Island is a great big riddle.

Anyway, Isaac Allerton and Fear Brewster's son Isaac Jr (Major Isaac Allerton) went to Virginia and married Elizabeth Willoughby of Norfolk, and their daughter Sarah became the second wife of Hancock Lee of THE Lees(!).

1/24/2018 at 6:40 AM

And sadly, the Mayflower society does not accept descendants of Elizabeth Willoughby, they find it inadequately documented for some reason. Maybe competing with First Families of Virginia ....

Private User
1/24/2018 at 6:54 AM

Territorial dispute, I guess. :-D

1/24/2018 at 10:52 AM

"Hannah" Vincent

Just to add another profile from this family, Geni has a Hannah Allerton, who is listed as the sister of Isaac Allerton, and the wife of John Vincent, of Yarmouth. From what I can find, it appears as though Hannah's maiden name is unknown. Maybe the Allerton name came from some confusion with John Vincent's mother, Sarah Godbertz (Allerton). Furthermore, the way its listed on Geni would make Hannah the aunt of John Vincent, and it seems unlikely that John would have married his mother's sister.

I was wondering if we could remove Hannah's maiden name and disconnect her from her parents (Edward and Rose), as they are undoubtedly mistakes.

1/24/2018 at 11:06 AM

The maiden name is sourced with no parents given here

http://www.gulbangi.com/5families-o/p655.htm#i16359

"The Philip Fox Papers," Philip Fox, 1900-1945 Collection of A. Gulbransen.

I haven’t looked for the citation. What I’m wondering is if we should retain name but disconnect from parents with in profile links to possible Allerton family for research? The Leiden connection is intriguing, and the archives there are still being transcribed etc

1/24/2018 at 11:14 AM

There’s also a Craft of Yorkshire citation in the FamilySearch tree.

Tamas if you could do the in profile links for Hannah I’ll get the disconnect going. We also want to set up NN Allerton parents for the probable siblings of Isaac, John & Sarah, with links to Rose & Edward

1/24/2018 at 11:35 AM

I’ve added a page from The Great Migration article here

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000074755017915&

I’m thinking you’re right & the name Hannah Allerton is picked up by her association with the family.

Private User
1/25/2018 at 2:53 PM

Soooo...I’m not sure how his “parents” were added, but they were not present when I researched the profile and wrote the About Me. I stated clearly that his parentage is unknown, and that the relationship to John Allerton has not been proved.

I’m going to sever the current parents and add Unknown Father and Unknown Mother profiles as placeholders. Erica, if you would be willing to lock his parentage at that point, I would be very grateful!

Thanks for bringing the problem to our attention, Tamás! These Mayflower families are like playing Whack-A-Mole - fix one problem and up pops another! Lol

Private User
1/25/2018 at 3:01 PM

I can’t make those changes, Erica, I suspect because he’s Mastered, so even though I hate adding to your task list, I leave it in your capable hands!

Also, the About Me is locked, which is a Good Thing,so could you please remove the little bit of unnecessary garbage that ended up down at the bottom after a merge?

Finally, the link to John should be severed due to lack of proof.

Thank you!

1/25/2018 at 4:02 PM

OK, there have been no objections and in fact expressed support from our Allerton biography writer for the proposal.

Have done this:

- placeholder parents for Isaac & Sarah, unknown Allerton & wife of unknown Allerton with pointing references to this discussion
* John Allerton, "Mayflower" Passenger cut loose altogether
* Isaac's overview tidied and re locked

Please check, let me know if I missed anything, and as always, my very big thanks for this smart work.

1/25/2018 at 4:12 PM

Re John Vincent, of Sandwich (Sarah's son)

I reviewed my original reference

jskent.blogspot.com/2010/04/john-vincent-family-us-1636-to-current.html

No support for Hannah Allerton as a wife. Two wives in fact, neither name known. And Tamas is correct, illogical.

My bad! I'm updating "Hannah" Vincent and am very grateful you "made" us look at this again.

1/25/2018 at 6:00 PM

Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert great work on "Hannah" Vincent overview. I added the list of children to it, if you'd care to take a final review.

Also cut loose John Vincent, of Sandwich from parents, added his 2nd wife, and licked relationships. John Miner has a good argument for why, quoted in the about.

1/27/2018 at 4:16 PM

If Elder Brewster is my 11th great grandfather, can I join a Mayflower descendants. He came in 1620 and Patience came in 1623 I believe, my 10th.

1/27/2018 at 7:15 PM

The Mayflower Society has a provision for membership of interested persons not direct descendents of a Mayflower passenger

1/27/2018 at 8:47 PM

Erica Howton Thank you so very much for your help. The family tree is looking very nice and neat. Just one request, could someone change "Hannah" Vincent birth place from London to simply England. I cannot do it because that field has been locked.

Thanks!

Private User
1/28/2018 at 4:47 AM

@Andrea (Andi) Bowe, Yes, if Elder Brewster is, in fact, your 11th GGF then you can certainly join. The GSMD has excellent records and they can help you with your links. What you do is submit a "supplemental" application going from you all the way down the line to Elder Brewster. They will then tell you what documents they need and if in fact, it is a legitimate link. If it is you'll probably need all marriage, death and birth certificates for you and your last 3 or 4 generations at best. Not an easy undertaking and they are VERY strict. It's one of the hardest Societies to join. As far as all my other Societies, it was very hard and I think people will agree.

Just reach out to your Mayflower Society State Historian and they can get you started. Good Luck

1/28/2018 at 9:46 AM

I don't really intend to join any groups, as I have too many immigrant ancestors and I know almost none of their descendants personally. My great aunt, since passed away, got me started on her side of family with hard copy and the other side of that same tree from back east sent me also a hard copy of the other descendants, only tracing back to 1700s. It was after doing my DNA on 23andme that I started tracing other lines with some help from another family historian. Because I put my mom's memoirs online with old pictures my aunt sent that I met other relations who knew our Longfellow, Dexter line.
Small world, because, just this past year on geni, I "met" a part of the family I had given up hope of ever knowing what their history was. I was able to find Mansur and Macomber and Barker-Dexter-Longfellow connections in cemeteries in WA near where my mom was born in 1911...the Mansur line and the Senff line both have family crests...

1/28/2018 at 9:47 AM

Alice de Clifford
is my 17th Great-grandmother...

1/28/2018 at 10:20 AM

Me
Mom Clara Olive (Senff) Bowe her father Guy Everett Senff,
his mother, Jennie Olive (Barker) Senff-Smith,
her mother Esther Jane (Dexter) Barker,
her father William C. Dexter, his father Stephen Dexter,
his mother Keziah (Wing) Dexter, her mother, Mercy (Handy) Wing,
her mother, Mercy (Freeman) Handy, her father, Rev. John Freeman,
his mother, Mercy (Prence) Freeman, her mother Patience (Brewster) Prence,
wife of Thomas Prence, Gov. Plymouth Colony,
her father and mother Elder William Brewster and Mary, Mayflower passengers.

Anyone let me know if they see any errors in this tree?

1/28/2018 at 10:26 AM

Esther's mother was Sarah (Longfellow) Dexter, connecting me to Green Longfellow, son of Nathan II, son of Nathan Longfellow I, connecting me to Longfellows and Sewell lines...
Macomber line is thru my maternal grandmother.

1/28/2018 at 10:29 AM

I am also connected to Rev. Batchelder thru 2 of his daughters , Deborah Wing & wife of Christopher Hussey, also immigrants from England thru Holland...

1/28/2018 at 10:30 AM

So it looks like I am connected to Wing family in America in 2 ways...

1/28/2018 at 10:40 AM

Another reason I won't be joining any groups is that I do everything for free, as in days of Penn. Dutch, and there are not many groups that are free, even to valid members.

1/28/2018 at 10:43 AM

Aloha is the Spirit of Sharing & Caring, a Right they left out of the Bill of Rights...

1/28/2018 at 10:50 AM

Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert also took London out of John Vincent's origins, one can never proofread too many times. :)

1/28/2018 at 3:04 PM

Erica Howton Thank you once again for all your help!

Showing all 29 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion