Not sure how to proceed, looking for Curator assist ...

Started by Private User on Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-35 of 35 posts

A very common mispronunciation of an initial "L" sound is the consonant "Y" sound - wondering if there may have possibly been a few instances of someone saying "Yudel" and the person recording the info thinking he had been told "Ludel"

Again, thanks to all. Erica, I think the idea of searchability remains the key, so considering between Morris and Ludel as the first first name in the first name/quotation name route (the first being the searchable one), Morris is best known to descendants on his wife's side (who wouldn't even recognize Ludel), Ludel best known to descendants on his side (who wouldn't even recognize Morris), so kind of a toss-up in terms of best known. If indeed the main concern is that as many names and combinations of names as possible be searchable, the best I seem to come up with is: first name Morris "Ludel" (contrary to your very logical thought about original/acquired and some not liking the quotation mark route); last name Rosenthal; born as Khait; display name Morris "Ludel" Rosenthal; and Yiddish name Ludel Khait (btw, I haven't found that last Yiddish name field yet, maybe someone can help with that). In this way, Morris/Ludel is searchable as Morris, Morris Rosenthal, Ludel, Ludel Khait, and Morris "Ludel" (we lose only searchability of Ludel "Morris", but otherwise the name Morris would lose searchability on its own altogether). It should be noted that there never was a Ludel Rosenthal or Morris Khait, so these combinations need not be searchable. So what's the conclusion, am I at a point of having worked this out, or have I been looking way too long so should step back for a fresh start later?

Again, many thanks to all for the assist.

In profile view > basics > add language, in the bottom module, Yiddish is listed alphabetically. If you use it it will "jump" to top module after that.

For tree readability I would use the celebrity model. Example: Lauren Bacall

She is "best known as" Lauren Bacall, but that wasn't a legal name at birth or death. Still, she's pretty easily found.

Good guidance, thank you.

Very good questions and good discussion.

Showing 31-35 of 35 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion