Charles Marais, SV/PROG - Relationship to my Prog. Marais has suddenly changed.

Started by Private on Wednesday, January 17, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
Private
1/17/2018 at 3:35 AM

This is my direct prog - GGGF and has always been correct. I haven't worked here for a long time. Now he is my
Charles Marais, SV/PROG is your third cousin four times removed's wife's second great grandfather.

Is there an esier way to get this correct as it affects my total line, or will I have to start from the bottom with myself and check up to see what went wrong?☺

1/17/2018 at 5:14 AM

Hi Judith, I have just checked Charles Marais and he is my 8th Great grandfather. This is the yellow pathway that appears when I look at his profile. It's the most direct route. I'm sure he is related to me in a few other ways as well. You found that he is related to me as Charles Marais, SV/PROG is your third cousin four times removed's wife's second great grandfather. Mmmmm Too confusing for me. Try working backwards as well - not recommended but sometimes that makes the direct route suddenly appear. I hope you manage to do it but it is time-consuming and addictive!!! From Penny Mannheim .......penn@telkomsa.net

1/17/2018 at 7:32 AM

I have not done any work here for alonf tine too. Not sure how to fix it. Sorry. Angela

1/17/2018 at 8:23 AM

I noticed that there were 3 merges in 2017 (September, June, January), but I am sure you noticed that already.
I do keep a private tree (from another vendor) with my direct ancestors that can't be edited by others, but I am not sure where my line and your's would split. If you need any help that way, let me know.
I am unfortunately not that familiar with undoing merges.
Anneline

Private User
1/17/2018 at 9:02 AM

I don't know what is wrong, but in your tree Judi he is still your GGF. He is my 10th, but I locked relationships on you and then went up your tree:

Charles Marais is still your 5th GFF, but when I click on his father, then

Charles Marais

is not your GGF anymore but that long third cousin story... I do not know why Geni does that... but it would suggest something wrong with b2c1's profile?

Regards
Jan

Private User
1/17/2018 at 9:07 AM

When I looked into it more closely, I saw there has been 2 mergers of those ghost profiles which I talked about and are still waiting for why... the one that gives me troubles is this merge:

https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=70462537980

which by the way has not yet been resolved since September 2017

perhaps if we resolve the conflicting data by choosing 1695 as the correct birth date (and not 1722!!! - presumably the marriage date or even his son's birth date) and then give Geni some time... it will again display correctly?

But my path is also through b2c1 so I am really not sure why this would be... :(

1/17/2018 at 9:18 AM

Wow. My 7th great grandfather.

Private
1/18/2018 at 2:06 AM

Thank you everybody. Jan I have undone that merge that was incorrect. Now it is correct up to the b2c line and then it shows far away-
Charles Marais, b2 is your third cousin four times removed's wife's great grandfather
and the prog
Charles Marais, SV/PROG is your third cousin four times removed's wife's second great grandfather.

Maybe Mike Stangel can help me. I will ask him as well.☺

Private
1/18/2018 at 2:07 AM

Mike Stangel could you please he;p here.
The Marais line shows correct up to the d line and the it shows incorrect. It does reflect on many trees.

Please. Thanks a mill.

Judi

Private
1/18/2018 at 2:13 AM

Mike I have been undoing merges but it stays incorrect.☺

Private
1/18/2018 at 2:22 AM

Mike Stangel and the rest. OK I have it correct now. Don't know how. But it is.

Judi

Private
1/18/2018 at 2:22 AM

Charles Marais, SV/PROG is your 7th great grandfather.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion