Adam fitz Swain - Adam Fitz Swain

Started by Clive Kenyon on Wednesday, January 10, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
1/10/2018 at 1:05 PM

Given that Adam's father Swein fitz Alric is listed as a land owner of note in the 1066 survey it is unlikely that Adam was born as late as 1118. There is a charter that intimates that Adam was able to sue for inheritance in or around 1123. Adam would have to have been at least 21 at that time to be able to deal with this matter without a guardian acting on his behalf.

Swane son of Alric was dead in 1130, when Hervey de Vescy?? (possibly incorrect) ("de Veceio ") owed ^10 for the wife of Suein son of Alric with her dower in Cumberland, 1 and Adam son of the same Suein rendered account of 5 marks for his mother's dower in Yorkshire after her death, 2 she being then alive. The above gift purports to have been confirmed by Henry I, by a
charter 3 attested by the archbishop of York, and by 12 of the clergy and
laymen who attested the charter of Hugh de Laval, confirming his own
gifts and those of Robert de Lascy to the monks of La Charite at Kirkby
(Pontefract), and to which, if genuine, the date 1123-1124 may be assigned.

(Chartul. of Pontefract, at Woolley Hall, f. fod. Pd. in Charlul. of Pontc-
fract, n. 378.)

We can be sure of the date of his death as that is also recorded in the Chartulary of St. John of Pontefract:

Adam fitz Swain fitz Ailric died in 1159, a few months before the
consecration of the new buildings of St. John's monastery, destroyed in
the wars of the time of king Stephen; and almost the exact date of his
death can be deduced with certainty from the Pipe Rolls. For besides
his land in Yorkshire and Cumberland, Adam fitz Swain farmed of the
king the royal town of Doncaster, paying a yearly rent of J~6o for it;
and year by year the sheriff as a matter of course made a return of
the condition, Dr. and Cr., of his account with the royal treasury.

Given Adam's many achievements it would suggest a dob of 1100 or possibly a few years earlier.. In the year 1100 his Father Swain Fitz Alric would have been around 55.

Adam Fitzswain had at least two brothers; Richard de Robert de Snydale and Henry de Denby. The names Snydale & Denby are related to a villages close to where Swein and Alric held lands and most researchers seem to have deferred to those places. However, Henry spent a great deal of time in Cumberland where he, his Father and brother Adam held lands and he was also a vassal of the King of Scotland and witnessed several royal charters. It would also appear that Henry left male heirs;

that, in fact, at this time a seal belonged
to a person, not to a family. It is in the Additional Charters,
No. 7423, a confirmation charter to Byland Abbey granted by Symon
son of Henry de Denebi (a younger brother of Adam fitz Swain).

(Chartulary of St. John of Pontefract)
It adds, "and because I have not a seal, I have sealed this charter
with the seal of Jordan my brother."

There is also a claim to a third brother Richard de Bretton but I am unsure of the provenance of this and personally am dubious.

1/10/2018 at 1:35 PM

I've updated his birth date to c 1110.

Would you feel comfortable adding profiles for the two known brothers to the family? They may well exist on Geni already, and we can look for them to merge in once we have the correct parent position.

Who, then, is this fellow?

Richard fitz Swaine, of Swillington

1/10/2018 at 2:18 PM

Yes, I will try and find out enough about them first and then add to the discussion. There are records supporting Henry de Denby and Robert de Snydale's existence and pedigree, but I have been unable to find anything concrete about Richard other than on the Bretton History site. Sadly the couple who were responsible for that site died last year.

There is a record in the Chartulary of St John of Pontefract:

I have met with nothing to show how the family of Swain fitz
Ailric obtained lands at Swillington. But that they did so is clear,
and that Richard fitz Swain held them at the time that the monks
had this carucate is also clear. They probably obtained possession
as early as the reign of either Henry I. or Stephen, which was the

(1) He gave from it the third part of a carucate at the foundation of St. Clement's Chapel
{Yorkshire Archceological Journal, xiv, 157). (2) See No. 317 and No. 318.

260 THE CHARTULARY OF ST. JOHN.

period of which our local records have such scanty memorials. But
so far as we are concerned, Richard son of Swain suddenly emerges,
after the rebuilding of the monastery, and about 1160 or 1170, a man
somewhat in years. His eldest brother, Adam, had died childless in
1 158; his next, Henry, carried on the succession at Denby; and
Richard emerges selling a meadow, called Wixstawer, in the manor of
Swillington. 1 The purchaser was a young man who could have been
hardly more than of age, one William, eldest son of Hervey, eldest son
of Jordan, eldest son of the Ledstone Ailric

I personally think that the scribe has assigned a Richard son of a Swain to be of the Alric / Swein line based on a few coincidences. There were many men called Swein in the area.

Regards Adam Fitz Swain; he must have been born at no later than 1102 as he would have to have been 'of age' i.e. 21 to be able to claim his Mother's estates through the courts in 1123 - 1124. When you look at the time lines; his Father Swein being 'of age' in 1066, therefore born no later than 1045, and consider that Adam was the oldest child, it all supports a dob of 1100 or earlier.

1/10/2018 at 2:23 PM

If we can work out a between date that would be useful.

I've gone with

Birth: before 1102
Worsbrough Manor, Yorkshire, England

Do we have an area where he likely died?

1/10/2018 at 11:47 PM

Not at the moment. There are conflicting accounts of his place of death. If I can establish one or the other I will add to the discussion.

1/11/2018 at 10:42 AM

According to the Family Tree published in the Chartulary of St. John of Pontefract the pedigree from Ailric goes as follows :

Ailric, Father of Swein Fitz Alric who was in turn the Father of:
(1) Adam Fitz Swain (of Silkstone) (the eldest),
(2) Henry (de Denby), Father of Robert, Jordan & Elias
(3) Robert (of Snydale) (no children listed)
(4) Richard (of Swillington) father of Walter & Alan

The latter two are barely mentioned in the charters and other documents, Henry has an illustrious career and was present for a long time in the court of the Scottish King. Adam is the better known and his daughters and their descendants are well recorded.

1/11/2018 at 1:02 PM

Regarding the dob of Adam Fitz Swain; there are virtually no records of births in this period other than for the royalty and high nobility. However, if we consider that under Norman rule nobody came of age until they were 21 we can gain some clues from the dates of charters and court records on the basis that the subject could not give or receive lands or payments until they were 21 except with the assistance of a ward who would be named in the record. For exampleRobert de Lacy's signature was always accompanied by his Grandmother's during the three years between his Father's death and his reaching the age of 21.

The earliest charter associated with Adam Fitz Swain that I can find is 1123 and would indicate that his dob could not have been after 1102. After 1123 there are many records of his activities.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion