Help-problem with his ancestral tree

Started by Laura Kaufman on Saturday, December 9, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 62 posts
12/9/2017 at 7:37 AM

Archibald Campbell, 2nd Earl of Argyll I am having a problem as Archibald Capmbell is a Great grandfather on my tree. The problem is his fathers line should come up as my great grandfathers also but they don't.They come up in red, as not related directly....could anyone help me & check it out. I am at a loss as to why this shows up like this for me. Thanks

12/9/2017 at 8:39 AM

https://www.geni.com/path/Laura-Jaco+is+related+to+Archibald-Campbe...

Your 16th gg

Relationship cache needed refreshing

12/9/2017 at 8:40 AM

One thing that might be going on has to do with the way that the Geni software calculates relationships. It goes the quickest way, not necessarily the direct way.

And when you are looking at profiles from the Middle Ages, there are probably several ways to get there.

So, in my case, though I'm directly descended from Llewelyn the Great through my mother, if I look at what Geni calculates, it goes through my father, and Llewelyn ends up being a cousin of an uncle or something like that.

But if I calculate it from my mother's profile, it's direct.

So you might play around with it.

If you have the direct route in your own work, walk up the line and see if the relationships are there.

If so, it's just a matter of how the software calculates. If not, then start a public discussion on the missing link, if you know that your sources are reliable.

12/9/2017 at 8:46 AM

When a pro sees a little circle icon next to the path (I’ll try & find a screen shot) they can force the server to refresh the relationship calculator, which caches a previously calculated relationship for faster retrieval. From merges & corrections the cached calculation can become inaccurate, eventually the server recalcs in its own, but forcing the refresh usually solves these issues.

12/9/2017 at 8:50 AM

Screen shots are here

https://www.geni.com/projects/Working-with-Relationships/media/17570

You can even hover mouse to see a date stamp of when last updated

12/9/2017 at 9:42 AM

To Anne's point, it calculates the fewest hops, even if there's a direct relationship available.

12/9/2017 at 9:45 AM

And also, Anne Brannen, I appear to be a direct descendant of your ancestor as well.

https://www.geni.com/path/Karl-Wright+is+related+to+Llewelyn-ab-Ior...

12/9/2017 at 9:53 AM

Thank you all so much because i have had it come up several ways & I was thinking there must be a glitch....just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this before.

12/9/2017 at 10:08 AM

When a tree is actively being merged and worked through it has gotten whack on me with relationships, so I learned how to work with it. Usually the "upper branches" are pretty stable. What was interesting in "walking the tree" just now, having push pinned your profile to see the relationship (love that tool), was it would show direct, then indirect, then direct again. !! I just refreshed at each hop.

12/9/2017 at 10:42 AM

Thank you-much appreciated!!!!

12/9/2017 at 9:05 PM

John Stewart, 1st Earl of Atholl...this is another great grandfather that is showing not directly related-lol- Erica, i can't find a little circle icon next to the path...I am trying to fix it....

12/9/2017 at 9:08 PM

John Stewart, 1st Earl of Atholl...this is another great grandfather that is showing not directly related-lol- Erica, i can't find a little circle icon next to the path...I am trying to fix it....

12/9/2017 at 9:47 PM

Laura Kaufman
John Stewart, 1st Earl of Atholl is Laura Diane Jaco's 16th great grandfather!
https://www.geni.com/path/Laura-Jaco+is+related+to+John-Stewart-1st...

12/9/2017 at 9:50 PM

Laura Kaufman
The arrow is pointing at the circle to renew the path
https://ragjaw-hotmail.tinytake.com/sf/MjE4Mjk4NV82Nzg0OTg0

12/10/2017 at 5:23 AM

Erica, yesterday at 1:08 PM, this happens to me all the time, walking the tree but getting flipped back and forth from my grandmother's line to my grandfather's line.

12/10/2017 at 7:14 AM

Angus-thanks for the graphic-I have seen that but didn't understand what was meant by circle-lol.

Private User
12/10/2017 at 7:16 AM

This happens to me a lot. Sometimes it not only jumps around both sides of my mother's side but then jumps into my father's side, which I never in a millions years would have expected. My mother's side is so English, Scot and Native American in America and father's was soooo French Canadian and Belgium . Yet sometime an American ,USA works his or her way into the Canadian side.

Private User
12/10/2017 at 7:18 AM

No9w when I get as far back to Europe both sides meld together

12/10/2017 at 8:49 PM

Here is a line I need fixed -same problem as others-some of the Walcot show as great grand fathers & some are showing some weird relationship. John Walcot.......John shows correct but his descendants do not show up as my great grandfathers. I am working with someone on this line and need it to show correctly. This drives me crazy-lol

12/10/2017 at 8:53 PM

Laura Kaufman can you try walking the tree and refreshing by hitting the circle icon ? You have the rights to do so, its part of pro membership

12/10/2017 at 8:54 PM

Jerome F. Weber we need Geni profile links to work with

12/10/2017 at 9:15 PM

I never see the circle icon or I would-

12/10/2017 at 10:17 PM

https://www.geni.com/path/Laura-Jaco+is+related+to+William-Cecil-1s...

I do not see as direct to you. Try the descendant report? This is Genealogy now, not technology

12/11/2017 at 8:10 AM

I'm glad to see this discussion. I wish someone could reprogram the Geni calculator to always find the direct relationship if it exists, or at least to provide that option. I think that is what most people are looking for--not the shortest distance. It's very frustrating to have an ancestor be a great-grandmother one day and a distant cousin the next. By the way, Anne Brannen, I'm also a direct descendant of Llewelyn the Great. (according to Geni)

12/11/2017 at 9:29 AM

Hi Erica Howton, did you ever figure out why the refresh icon for paths appears for some profiles but not for others?

I just merged two duplicate Hoeck lines and now my seventh great grandfather is no more:

Johann Friedrich Hoeck

... but I never am given the path refresh icon. Is this something only curators see?

12/11/2017 at 12:13 PM

I was able to correct the problem with my ancestor by disconnecting the tree and rearranging, but that isn't always a reasonable thing to do, so it would be great to understand how this feature really works.

Showing 1-30 of 62 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion