Hugh Ross, ll - John Ross of Guilford, son of Hugh Ross, son of Hugh Ross, of Virginia

Started by Les Ross on Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 22 posts

There are two Hugh Rosses on the line of John Ross of Guilford, not just one as some think. Quite a number of old trees on Ancestry.com have Hugh Ross as father of John Ross of Guilford, and some have James Ross as father of John Ross of Guilford.
The primary sources are with Hugh Ross and Hugh Ross," It is all a long story, so contact me if you please.

I’ve been reading some of your entries on Family Search and had a quick look at Boddie’s book (not sure I follow yet how the Elizabeth City Rosses tie in but I’m just beginning here). Anyway I’m sold you have it right on Hugh l > Hugh ll > John of Guilford. I think it best you enter as you know best and then we try and match up existing Geni profiles.

Thank you. I have seen your good work here.
Then you noticed Francis Ross as son of James P Ross and another as father of James P Ross. Is that okay. Some think it is Hugh Ross the Jacobite, but I doubt that as he was here in 1717 or so after the fact. Formerly it was Hugh Earl of Ross and Margaret DeBarclay, makeovers of what they were. Now we know from these old books mostly and documents or lack of documents.
I know the line, but I don't know technology very well. We can sort out mistakes later I guess, but it is way off now. I don't know who this other Hugh is as son of David Ross. Can we go around him? Or do we put two Hugh Rosses under David Ross and Margaret Stronach.

Post the Geni profile URL of any needing disconnects from parents / spouses, I will see and do the cut, then you can do a new entry & we can match up.

My personal interest is James P Ross, as mentioned, and I’m intrigued by the Elizabeth City idea rather than his coming from the Ulster Plantation. I had not had my Abijah as potentially his son until a few weeks ago when advised there was a DNA match into his line. Now that i have a Migration theory I’m thinking I can look more into James P’s wife Mary Mitchell, who is documented, and see if her family story resonates with it.

The Jackson’s are an unholy mess and I have an interest there also - Abijah’s wife.

I disconnected James P. Ross, I from Hugh Ross, "The Immigrant" & Margaret Priest

Please feel free to edit the profile & add “fresh” parents based on your research.

I’m sure Marsha Gail Veazey who curates will be glad to see.

Abijah Cornelius Ross, Sr. as grandson, sorry

Do we need one more Hugh before we hit the Balbairs?

Hugh Ross, "The Immigrant"

Thank you Erica, had a lot of help.
The Elizabeth City Rosses were originally identified as the parents of William Ross of Martin County, Maybe we can change it back? However, those old book were lost or forgotten and his profile has been changed quite a bit. I'll put up the references but I have a learning disability so will take some time. Don't know this good site Geni too well yet.
Can add Francis Ross as parent of Hugh Ross. That has good documentation. Would be better if Francis Ross mentioned his children on his will in 1731, but still good. The name and date similarities in both places for example.

If you enter a profile with dates & locations and reference an entry on FamilySearch, rootsweb, or Ancestry (URL) I can probably find it, copy over references, and find matching Geni profiles also.

Who are the parents of the Mallory Ross mention here?

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000070681420253&

Grandson Mallory Ross? Not sure. Good question.

In this case seeing is believing. Here is a photo of the will of Jean "Jane" Ross, presently of New York, with a brother in New Jersey, property in Jamaica, John Ross of Philadelphia as Ex. of will, and a brother William and his son Walter in North Carolina.
A lot of the Ross families were merchants and got around.

https://www.familysearch.org/photos/artifacts/12276458?c=my-memories

Okay, here is the photo of Jean in New York, New Jersey, with relatives in North Carolina and property in Jamaica and a friend in Edinburgh.. Significance to this to Isaac Ross is that he started in Middlesex, New Jersey, the same county place as Jean's brother Alexaner Ross, Physician.

these citations must refer to Hugh Ross ll. Thomas Wythe would be in Elizabeth Mallory’s family, her mother was Ann Wythe. !!!

Witness
10 Mar 1694 • Elizabeth City Co, Virginia Colony
Witness to Thomas Wythe's Will
Appraisal
5 Oct 1696 • Elizabeth City Co, Virginia Colony
Appraised Estate of Joseph Cheeley "for the orphans". Note that in this record, his name is spelled "Hugh Ross".

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/41647110/person/19...

Could be the 1st Thomas Wythe but I suspect the 2nd Thomas Wythe, II

Nope it’s the 1st Hugh Ross and the 1st Thomas Wythe

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000070745883138&

Thomas Wythe, Gent.

Hi everyone.

Just curious about the line on Hugh Ross, "The Immigrant"'s profile that says 'Newly found old books online identify Hugh Ross and Margaret of Elizabeth City, Virginia as parents of William Ross of Martin County.'

I found the 'Virginia Historical Genealogies' book. But it sounds like 'Newly found old books online' refers to a different book.

Curious if either of you know which book is being referred to here.

Thanks.

Been a while.
Happy Hollidays to all. Thanks for the new work Kelly.
Regarding Isaac Ross who has been mentioned here before: Could his family be related on the maternal line instead? They did associate with each other in different places these two families.

p.s. A woman on my line born Ross received her DNA recently ... it included all of Ireland on the map she received and most all of Scotland. That included all of the west coast and central Scotland and the north west isles, except for the north island area above the east coast and another small area on the east coast of the Highlands. Not a surprise...

Hi Kelly. About your post, I think the book by Wright online about Isaac Ross and Jean Brown identifies Hugh Ross and Margaret as parents of William Ross of Martin. The historian Wright says Isaac Ross is probably not related to William Ross except maybe from over the Ocean. As stated above, was that on the female line due to circumstantial evidence? Also the Old Scots used both the female and male lines for last names if the same clan.

Dickermans' House of Plant (online, 1900) makes a stong case for Hugh Ross and Margaret of Elizabeth City (Hampton) as parents of William Ross of Martin. Dickerman in his multi-family book had information even the State of North Carolina did not know about itself on some things.

One of the descendants of William Ross in her old book with detailed genealogies about some of the Martin County Ross family quoted Dickerman, but I would have to look that one up for details.

This was what the earlier family scholars believed.

Add to that several references to William Ross, father of William Ross, Sr. arriving eventually in Martin County, NC from Roanoke Virginia. That would be just above Roanoke, NC: The old History of Martin County; the Life and Times of Elder Reuben Ross by James Ross, and a history about the Baptist Church of the time.

Hi Vaughn. I'm just now seeing all of these responses and I owe an email, too. But I have been knee deep in this research & I have a hard time changing gears to go back to thinking about what it was I was thinking about when I wrote. Haha.

I have a whole section on my page now about your Rosses. It references a lot of your research, so I tried to link to your posts in order to give you credit.

http://thefryingpan.net/charts/ross-rose-ydna.html#margaretbarclay

You're right. The Isaac Ross book by Mrs. Wright does say that William Ross of Martin County was the son of Hugh & Margaret of Virginia. Do you think this is the book someone was referring to when they wrote 'Newly found old books online identify Hugh Ross and Margaret of Elizabeth City, Virginia as parents of William Ross of Martin County'? If so, that was easy enough. Haha. It would be nice to know how she put that all together. Like you said it does agree with statements made elsewhere. Would be nice to know who said it first, though, & why they thought it to be true.

Here's another one for you, while we're at it.

Do you know who this William Ross Sr. & William Ross Jr. were in Mecklenburg County?

https://rockyrivernc.com/2018/11/08/near-the-mouth-of-dutch-buffalo...

Uh oh Vaughn. I just noticed something else about what Mrs. Wright wrote.

"Her first husband was Hugh Ross 1 Hugh Ross lived in Martin county North Carolina 2 Francis whose wife was Anne lived in Buford county North Carolina 3 William lived in Martin county"

Who was this 'Francis whose wife was Anne lived in Buford county North Carolina' that she's talking about?

Several of the Martin County Ross removed to Meclenberg and Anson, NC. Not sure, Kelly, which were the Williams you mention, but they would probably be from Martin County. Ann and Francis from Buford are unknown to me. Francis and Hugh,, sons of Hugh Ross and Margaret Cheeley have estate or will settlements in Virginia. Wright must not have had the wills source so she assumed they had moved. HughRoss in Martin was a son of one of them, I think William Ross, Jr. He moved to Anson or Mecklenberg.

It is interesting that Isaac Ross is in two counties with Elizabeth City Ross descendants. Theyknew each otherno doubt ... circumstantial evidence of a relatives connection.

Showing all 22 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion