• Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 211-229 of 229 posts

Until we get more DNA and as it now appears that the Hugh Ross of Balblair may be a generation earlier than he is supposed to be, should we be looking for other good leads for other places? That would include more DNA and male DNA for clues of course for matches to people and where they lived..

Les Ross I get what you're saying about Hugh Ross, in Balblair.

The sasine mentioned in his profile in Rossiana is dated 19 Aug 1701.

https://archive.org/stream/rossianapapersdo01read#page/44/mode/2up

This date is much earlier than the sasines noted on this page for his brothers.

I emailed ScotlandsPeople & this is what they said about this sasine dated 19 Aug 1701:

"RS38/6 f.241 – Sasine of 19 August 1701, Hugh Ross in Balblair mentioned as a witness in Sasine to Duff"

So, all this sasine tells us is that there was a Hugh Ross living in Balblair in 1701. It says nothing about his parents. So this could be a son of Capt. David Ross, 2nd Laird of Balblair or a nephew of Capt. David Ross, 2nd Laird of Balblair.

But there is also a sasine dated 8 Mar 1707 in which Capt. David Ross, 2nd Laird of Balblair transfers Balblair to to his grandson Andrew Ross, 4th of Balblair. In this sasine he lists Hugh Ross, in Balblair as his "third lawful son".

https://archive.org/stream/rossianapapersdo01read#page/130/mode/2up

So proof of Hugh Ross, in Balblair as son of Capt. David Ross, 2nd Laird of Balblair does apparently exist. I don't know why it wasn't this sasine date that was used in his Rossiana entry. Seems like it would've made more sense.

I didn't ask ScotlandsPeople about this sasine dated 8 Mar 1707, but it seems that, if anyone is going to order copies of sasines from them, this is the one we need.

But yes! More DNA testing would be great!

Several descendants of your Rosses of Guilford County have tested.

http://www.thefryingpan.net/charts/ross-mrca-chart-reorganized.html#20

But none of them have done the SNP testing to verify their haplogroup. It would be nice if we had the haplogroup determined for one or two of them. Then we could get a better idea of which of the other Matched Groups they are most closely related to.

I also think it's interesting that only descendants of James P. Ross, II & his brother Henry Ross have tested. So we've proven that they were related, but we don't have results from descendants of any of the other sons of Hugh Ross, "The Immigrant". Where are they? Have these other lines just petered out?

I think testing descendants of other sons of Hugh Ross, "The Immigrant" is key here. Then we could verify that the DNA carried by James Jr. & Henry of Guilford County does actually match Hugh, the Immigrant.

Of course, there are no descendants of Hugh Ross, in Balblair or his brother Rev. George Aeneas Ross, M.A. that are known to have tested. So, we have nothing to compare to, at this point, to determine which Ross lines match the Rosses of Balblair.

From your note, Kelly. Thanks for your fine work.

"But there is also a sasine dated 8 Mar 1707 in which Captain David Ross of Balblair transfers Balblair to to his grandson Andrew Ross, 4th of Balblair. In this sasine he lists Hugh Ross, in Balblair as his "third lawful son".

https://archive.org/stream/rossianapapersdo01read#page/130/mode/2up

This is probably the lost list Reed was using we wondered about and why the 1781 date was added. That would be after George Ross 1679.

Hugh Ross in Virginia was signing a record in 1692 (Wills and Administrations of Elizabeth City Virginia. Hugh Ross of Virginia with family in North Carolina might be too old to be 3rd son. Since we have no other known candidates I think we need to find some new clues.

Les Ross I'm down the rabbit hole again. One of the messages you sent me got me onto data gathering. I'm working on a Ross list. Maybe some new clues will come of it. Although, I think DNA is what we really need. We need to have more clues about which of these families do & do not connect.

I've been in contact with Celia Becker who wrote a very old post on rootsweb that I think you posted a link to. She apparently associates with a bunch of clan genealogists & she says that the general thought is that Hugh Ross, in Balblair, the "third son", died young. They don't have a family for him. I need to get back with her & ask her some more specific questions about this, but I've been laying low.

You found Celia.

Celia knows about the Maryland and Pennsylvania and Delaware families. And she may be able to state the Quaker record in Fredericks, Virginia for Alexander Ross.

Regarding Hugh Ross of Balblair, there may have been two .One was possibly dcd in 1701, the other Hugh mentioned a few years later. One may have been too old, the other too young. DNA will be real interesting to see.

Les Ross what're the clues that make you say that one may've been dcd in 1701?

Private User

A 1701 land transfer without details. Mentions son Adam. Father could be dcd.

Les Ross that's a different transaction than the 1701 Sasine that's mentioned for him in Rossiana?

Are there other land records available that far back besides the sasines?

I imagine there are new purchase records but don't know. Good question for Geni experts.

Hi everyone... Les Ross, Erica Howton, Private User...

I wanted to let everyone know that I started a Facebook group for Ross DNA research, just in case anyone is interested.

My hope is to get everyone in one place so that we can make sense of all these Y-DNA tests.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rosssurnamedna/

Thanks for the great new facebook page, Kelly Moores. And thanks to Erica Howton who has contributed so much wonderful work for this family. And for suggestons from each of you to get the DNA test. The results were a surprise.

I trace to the noble Ross/Rose of Kilravock according to the results of my Familytreedna test. I had thought we were related to another possible Hugh Ross of Balblair but that seemed to be in doubt after a while so thus the test. The noble Rose of Kilravock lived near to the Rosses in the Highlands. They were from Ireland, England and Normandy.

I had a match to a Ross family in Virginia, Pennsylvania and North Carolina by their first declared ancestor. That was on the Reuben Ross legend. We need a Maryland Ross to test. And some in Ireland and Scotland. And a match to another descendent of John Ross of Guilford was there by his son Melvin Ross on my line.

My thoughts now are that a Rose would have married a Ross and their descendants at some point followed the Ross line. This would give dual citizenship with each name. I would by this be related to the Rosses on the female line. They call it matrilineal descent

We need more DNA from the sons of Hugh Ross and Margaret Cheeley for a complete picture on familytreedna. They use YDNA. Long ways to get here but more yet to do. Tests could also show more about their first origins.

Ball in your court now. You all can add to this.

Hugh Ross, the Jacobite. died on ship in 1716. He didn't even make it all the way to America:

The following is from Creag Dhubh, 1995, No. 47 "THE MACPHERSONS OF CHARLES COUNTY, MARYLAND" by Alan G. Macpherson, St. John's, Newfoundland Part Three: "and Daniel McPherson from Culloden in the first shipload to escape the noisome conditions of Liverpool's Old Tower Gaol. Aboard the "Scipio" with Daniel were two men from the vicinity of Culloden who did not long survive the passage of the Alantic: John McGillivray and Hugh Ross. ...

—-

I guess that definitive evidence he’s “not” the same as Hugh Ross, "The Immigrant"

Ive heard from my cousin Warren Sanford McLaughlin, III Who notes:

“If so, then James P. Ross, father of Abijah Cornelius Ross, cannot be descended from Hugh the Immigrant Ross (1671-1701), because James P. Ross is Haplogroup R-M269, and Hugh the Immigrant Ross (1671-1701) is Haplogroup R-BY11158, which may be the Rose family.”

Thanks for finding out what happened to Hugh Ross, the Immigrant. Those were rough times.
Amazing find.

Happy New Year to you, Les.

Hi, Erica
All else aside, the document trail for James P Ross to Hugh Ross, the Immigrant is very good.
ta ta, for now

Francis Francis(Frances) Ross
Interesting Erica. A Frances Ross arrived in Fredericks, Virginia from Ireland. Frances Ross had escaped a Jacobite related battle in Scotland in 1689 and went to Ireland, married and then to Fredericks, Virginia. Charles Brashear the scholar said he may be of the Rose/Rose group I believe in his book about Frances Ross.

Showing 211-229 of 229 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion