• Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-120 of 229 posts

Read the will of John Ross, 1758. It says something about cousin Mallory I think. Please do your best to sort this tangle of names out. Glad for the effort.

I am so impressed we have this much. And an excavation, who has that ? Fantastic.

One of my tricks is working the collateral families. The Mallory’s are actually in good shape on Geni thanks to Mallory descendants on the site (at least three I know of), although they were remiss in not noting all 8 children of William. I’m curious now about Bean, Wythe, Cheeley, Priest. I’ve been working on Wythe first because it’s not every day you find a Founder as a cousin

George Wythe, signer of the "Declaration of Independence"

I wonder who this was

Name: Mary Ross
Marriage Date: 13 Apr 1702
Marriage Place: Elizabeth City, Virginia

Bentley, Elizabeth Petty, indexer. Virginia Marriage Records: From the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, the William and Mary College Quarterly, and Tyler's Quarterly. Baltimore, MD: Genealogy Publishing Co., Inc., 1984.

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/3143/vamarriagerecords-001259....
Spouse Name: James Pruitt

I am curious about those too and will help as I can, but do not have a lot of energy. I am a hit at the Sr. Citizen center though. I would like to see the original of that Thomas Wythe will though.

That might be the marriage of Mary Ross to James Priest. It was that year. Need a better abstract.

She’s supposedly here

Mary Pruitt

Doc is here https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000070776551924&

No gravestone, husband’s name is garbled, no other Ross in this Cemetery (so far). But I wonder about the Church Records & also the James Priest marriage record

Generationally Mary is a sister of the 1st Hugh, and she's not listed as a widow. The specific birth date comes from where. The settlement was so small it seems odd to have two unrelated Rosses. I'll put cross reference links in their profiles.

Can't identify this Mary Ross.

She floated over from Henrico County, perhaps. Someone thought she came from Massachusetts. :):)

This one seems to be more your neck of the geography, do you recognize him?

William Ross, Sr.

You are correct, there was, I believe, a name mistranscription the marriage of April 1702

Look at the source tab here

Mary Pruitt

Chapman is, I believe, the more reliable source, and this would explain how Henry Pruitt became James Pruitt, his brother.

See Information on Thomas Priest died 1756 of Newport News

https://books.google.com.hk/books?id=Ip5nfWQuWBkC&lpg=PA161&amp...

From your notes https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.ross/10052/mb.ashx

8. Page 86. At a Court held the 18th of May 1696 Phillip Johnson's petition sets forth that the altering of the road behind his orchard would be much better & diret in the winter season than where it is now. He would alter it at his own expense. It is ordered that Mr. James Wallace, Mr. Mathew Watts, Robt. Crooke and Hugh Ross make inspection into the convenience thereof and make report at next Court. Source, Elizabeth City County, Virginia, Rosemary Corley, p. 181.

----

Mr Matthew Watts was one of the executors of Thomas Priests estate. John Ross & a pair of Armisteads were the witnesses. James Wallace is in the Wythe tree, I'll post him next.

Thomas Priest these Priest kids were underage (born after 1702) mother died 1719. Who were their guardians, older Ross brothers or Cheeley uncles ?

1. William Ross with wife Elizabeth and son Hugh is probably the William made famous by Geni.com as the William Ross of Martin, NC, married to Elizabeth Smithwich, and son of Hugh Ross the Immigrant. Birthday of William not 1706 but about 1700. They have a nice article online. See if I can find. William seems to have married a little later than most. As a merchant into coastal shipping in NC he may have done some traveling.
2. Some posts... actually a lot...claim a Henrico connection for John Ross of Guilford as well. That was an Ann Dupuy as his mother and wife of a combined Hugh Ross one and two. Very imaginative. Findagrave has otherwise. She had a family in Henrico to William Jackson.
3. Don't know about the underage Priest children. Maybe the Ross brothers took care of them.
These people being found are loving it. I believe they in turn can help us.

Regarding parents of Hugh Ross, the Immigrant:
1. My mind is stuck on this free-floating pool of, what is it - RM369. Given so many not close matches are together, how can we single out any two of them over the others without saying the same for all of them.
2. I think that as shown the Hugh Ross of Balblair is different from Hugh Ross, the Immigrant. Hugh Ross of Balblair is the brother of David Ross, 2nd of Balblair not his son.
That as been explained. Enough for now.

R-M269 is the commonest Y-DNA haplogroup in Western Europe (averaging ~50-up to ~90%, with the percentages escalating dramatically on the "Celtic fringe"). Persons found to belong to it are urged to deep-test with as many markers as they can afford, so their specific sub-sub-subclade can (hopefully) be identified.

Rm269 tat is:
Some articles read have some cautions on test used.

Thanks Maven. Sounds like you know it well. If I take the test I want to see who I am related to and not look like an orphan.

Ancestor legend for Hugh Ross

https://archive.org/details/lifetimesofelder00ross

The group of ancestors for Hugh Ross is identified by close descendant Elder Reuben Ross in the Life and Times of Elder Reuben Ross, p. 22, by his son James Ross, 1882. Examples are seen with the descendants of Hugh Ross and with whom they associated.
This group of Rosses would be theirs. If DNA helps clarify when, good. It says paraphrased that some of the Ross name arrived from Scotland to Virginia and migrated to Pennsylvania, Maryland, and we know to North Carolina. They were scholars, navigators, statement and warriors.
Add to that Middlesex New Jersey where Isaac Ross started.

This article has references into Elizabeth City County sources

http://lawlibrary.wm.edu/wythepedia/index.php/George_Wythe_the_Colo...

Something in here helps us indirectly. It says the JP's decided who was allowed to practice law in their courts.
We have the judge saying such and so are to answer suit of Francis Ross assignee of Margaret Priest, 1719. Hugh Ross was the final choice for exec. So it sounds like the judge approved Francis to handle the case. So many records lost of the court but this was probate. I wonder who the judge was.
Thanks for the references. In the book, House of Plant, by Dickerson, 1900, he says the Rosses must have associated with the best families of Virginia by their demeanor and dignity. You just proved it.

It is curious that Hugh Ross, I both signed the will and the signed to prove it for Thomas Wythe. I wonder if they were more than just neighbors. Thomas Cheeley is on a couple of records with Thomas Wythe. So many records lost.

Joseph Cheely. I think he had a brother Thomas in an abstract.

Looks like we may have to look a little earlier on the line with the Ross group Elder Reuben Ross talks about in his legend given DNA testing. I will leave that to others mostly.

Hugh the 1st was Hugh Rosse in one of the abstracts. Rosse in Scotland was a Highlander spelling used by the descendants of the Earls of Ross.
The unrelated Lowland family from England and Normandy used Ros.
With this broad legend of Ross people in several states and with a Highland spelling, Hugh would be a Highlander from the Earls of Ross.

Maybe he would, and maybe he wouldn't. The way Scottish clans worked, anyone who was a follower of the clan head could take the clan name, whether or not they were related. (There's also a limited amount of crossover - both ways - from Clan Rose, because spelling. The Westerly, RI "Rosses" may be Roses in origin.)

Clan Ross and the Earls of Ross diverged in the 14th century, when Euphemia, Countess of Ross married Sir Walter Leslie. (That line too eventually daughtered out and the title went to the Crown. There hasn't been an Earl of Ross since 1649....)

Clan headship went to Euphemia's uncle and kept rolling on, usually but not always in the male line (1755 to 1893 saw a passage through the distaff side).

Clan Rose was a separate clan, and they *do* claim descent from the De Ros family. (The strong presence of I-M253 in Y-DNA tests from persons with this surname is suggestive, though not conclusive, of the same.)

Persons with the Ross surname, on the other hand, overwhelmingly test R-M269 and subclades - there's a *very* small showing of I-M253, possibly representing a misspelled Rose ancestor, and one lone I-M223 test that matches Rose but not Ross.

Thanks Maven. This post is out of order but most all of the early Rosses of Virginia used Rosse . That is what the Highlanders used at immigration time to America. Rosse as a name is referring to the Lairds of Balnagowan. Rois not Ros became the Highlander Gaelic for Ross-shire. They considered Ros an unrelated Norman spelling.
Reuben Ross is saying as I see it he is from them. If this legend were found marked into stone, Archeology would go wild over it.

Showing 91-120 of 229 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion