Cause of Death Projects needed???

Started by Patricia Ann Scoggin on Sunday, October 8, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 121-150 of 1133 posts

Since no one has responded to my question about having a "Died of Old Age" project, I am going to make it then see what the reaction will be...

Erica Howton, did you change the pix??? I liked the one with the "Death By Old Age?" better as it is easier to read.

Sorry but there seems to be a tech problem as almost all of the quotes & apostrophes didn't come thru as such... Many I fixed, but not all... Have sent a message to alert IT of the problem.

Here is the project: https://www.geni.com/projects/Died-of-Old-Age-Natural-Causes/47711

Is it toooo long? Does it need modifications? Are there other "Tags" and "Related Projects" that could be added??? If anyone wants to add any of either, I hope you will feel free to do so.

I fixed the glitch. It's from my browser on ipad, I'm sorry, that's why I try not to edit text in projects when I'm using iPad, which is most of the time.

I changed the title as follows

Died of old age (natural causes) [better grammar]
Latin: Senilis (mortuus est in senectute) [needs checking by Latin users]

I took senility out of the top section. It is obsolete. The discussion, down in the middle, covers use of the term historically. More than good enough.

I realize the project image is not as eye catching. However it is directly relevant to your "notable" research for a Geni profile, and to the points made that the term is colloquial and no longer used. So as a teaching tool it is far more relevant than a row of tombstones.

Yes, the project could be edited down further.

Kevin Lawrence Hanit what do you think about adding Centenarians and Notable Centenarians as related projects? I'm tossed up.

I hope someone will add Mary Webster, the last of the original Barkhamsted Lighthouse tribe, to Geni. She sounds like an interesting lady.
* The picture in the Died of Old Age project is found @ this site & has a lot of info that might also lead to another project about the Barkhamsted Lighthouse tribe in Connecticut: https://conidubois.com/2016/11/07/mary-websters-death-notice-died-a...
* There is also some info about her @ this site: [https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/85391486/mary-webster Find A Grave Memorial ID 85391486 Mary Wilson Webster]

Tree started and she was added to project

Mary Webster

I can't keep up! (Two finger typist at the moment)

Erica Howton I did add her to the Notables listed.

For editing, are you referring to the info from the List of Old Age Related Causes of Death??? Maybe some of the "Senile ... " ones??? I kind of wanted to also include some of those that had examples from other than the USA.

I think there's too much txt in the project.

Index list of example profiles is fine, can be more, diversity a good idea.

I connected Mary Wilson to the World Family tree!

Mary (Wilson) Webster is your 9th great aunt's fourth great niece's husband's second cousin once removed's husband's mother.

I have eliminated some of the text and even one or two of the list/examples.
I also added a Wikipedia ref. for Life Expectancy down in the References section.

If you think it needs more text reduction, please feel free to do so...

@Erica, seems to me R54 is somewhat generic diagnosis, and it is said it "can be used to indicate a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes." So, in the absence of any better diagnosis, or in the case of a vague diagnosis, R54 can be used to better describe CoD.

It is applicable some better described conditions below, but the first thing which excludes R54 is memory impairment. R54 also includes "Old age (without mention of debility)."

Currently the CoD portal goes with the heading of
*Memory disorders, and subheadings
**Alzheimer's disease, and
**Dementia

But Alzheimer's is a form of dementia.

If I may suggest, I'd go as follows, even when some inaccuracy is introduced. See not all dementias are as much of disorders of memory, but of behavior. The latin "de mens" just means "without mind" or "crazy." Schizophrenia used to be named "dementia praecox."

But given the behavioral (frontotemporal) dementias are currently coined as dementias, and often times Alzheimer's starts with behavioral symptoms (such as paranoia - "Where did YOU put my keys?" - When the person forgot, and accuses another.)

My classification would go

*Memory disorders
**Alzheimer's disease
**Vascular dementias
**Frontotemporal dementias
**Parkinsonian dementias
**Other dementias

That would be simple enough, yet cover everything. And there are lots of people with non-AD dementias.

The heading "Memory Disorders" might be replaced by "Dementias" given that there are memory disorders, which do not kill you.

Other dementias include even Nasu-Hakola Disease which is extremely rare form of dementing disorder, which basically exists mostly in Finnish and Japanese (why?) populations (maybe because Nasu is Japanese, and Hakola is a Finn...). And "Hakola" refers to my old professor, Panu Hakola. (http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?Expert=2770&lng=EN).

But the leading form of dementia in the "others" group is dementias due to alcohol abuse. Not that uncommon.

Finally I would like to say my 20 cents worth about the genetics (of Alzheimer's). There are three rare mutations (APP, PS1, and PS2) which cause Alzheimer's but just a handful of people in the world carry those mutations, and trust me - if they do, they know. I'm talking about a couple of hundred people worldwide.

Beyond that, there are genes which increase the risk of AD but if that was an issue, then you have to see the positive side of it. If you carry a risk gene, and you wanna avoid AD (or any other disease), then reduce the risk. So, people can win by knowing the risk. Then doing stuff that minimizes the risk.

As far as Alzheimer's is concerned, two largest risk factors for AD is hypertension and hyperlipidemia. So reduce your salt and grease intake, and you are doing just fine.

If somebody argues "It s genetic", then the right reply is "everything is". Because that's how it is. Coronary disease is genetic.

The thing is, truly genetic diseases you can't avoid are extremely rare because, by definition, they kill you, and then natural selection prunes those people away.

Suicide is genetic. But it is hardly a reason to exclude it.

Now that I've bumped into profiles, I have quite often seen the cause of death being just mentioned, "Pulmonary." And not specified beyond that. Happens to most causes of death. Just the general idea.

Be that as it may, I could help you in creating the memory disorders projects if you accept my classification.

Just let me know, I'll handle it.

Patricia Ann Scoggin Just continuing our conversation about adding the umbrella AutoImmune diseases with the specific disease i.e. Lupus, RA, Sjogren's, etc. listed under that umbrella. I'd be happy to help you with it if you would like since seems like my family was blessed with many of them along with Cancer. LOL.

Mikko Laakso

https://www.alz.org/dementia/downloads/topicsheet_korsakoff.pdf

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/02/180220183954.htm

If Alcohol abuse is a leading risk factor for dementia as well as a cause of death shouldn’t it be on the list also?

At the moment I’m thinking that Dementias might be a better umbrella (sub portal) classification than Memory Disorders for CoD.

I am working on an umbrella project for Autoimmune diseases, but am finding it a bit of a challenge to decide which should be included as sub projects that caused or contributed to the cause of death. There are over 100 diseases/condition and many don't cause death directly. With many of the umbrella projects we wait until someone requests a project rather than creating a project with no one to add to it. I need to do a lot more research on this topic including looking for "notables".

Mikko Laakso, as an MD, maybe you could provide some input on the MAJOR autoimmune diseases that are likely to be found on death certificates. I would list these in the umbrella, then investigate for notables or Geni profiles, making a linking project for those conditions that have someone with that disease & make projects for any others as the need/request arises.

Here is how I am tentatively wording the Intro:
Please do NOT add profiles to this umbrella project for Autoimmune diseases.
* Please add profiles to the specific disease -- see "There are currently Projects for:" below or "Related Projects".
----
Please see this discussion: [https://www.geni.com/discussions/172707 Cause of Death Projects needed???]...
* If you do not see a project for an Autoimmune Disease(s) that resulted in or contributed to death OR
* If you want a project for a specific autoimmune disease/condition for someone who may have died of another cause, but had the disease

@Patricia

You would / could place some conditions which are elsewhere also below the Autoimmune umbrella? See, this is the first list I found:

14 common autoimmune diseases

There are more than 80 different autoimmune diseases. Here are 14 of the most common ones.

1. Type 1 diabetes

2. Rheumatoid arthritis (RA)

3. Psoriasis/psoriatic arthritis

4. Multiple sclerosis

5. Systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus)

6. Inflammatory bowel disease

7. Addison’s disease

8. Graves’ disease

9. Sjögren’s syndrome

10. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis

11. Myasthenia gravis

12. Vasculitis

13. Pernicious anemia

14. Celiac disease

So many types of diseases...

But rarities are interesting as well.

@Erica, there is a dementia, the name of which is just alcohol (caused) dementia. Then there are syndromes, such as Wernicke-Korsakov.

Erica Howton,

I'm not sure that it would be useful, but then it could be.

Kevin

I think Wiki has a good list of Autoimmunes' broken down by what parts of the body or system is affected, might be a good base. I provided the link to the page as there are to many to copy here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_autoimmune_diseases

I hope everyone contributes their thoughts on organizing a medical portal at the discussion https://www.geni.com/discussions/179467

I think that tomorrow I will go ahead & create the umbrella project for Autoimmune diseases & put it in the CoD portal, but will move it to the Medical Portal project eventually.

There are a few project that can be causes of death & there are a couple of diseases that are already created there... It may need to be modified some now & more later, but since it is an umbrella project, no projects will be added to it...

I was thinking about the Autoimmune Disease umbrella project so went ahead & created it now... See: https://www.geni.com/projects/Autoimmune-Diseases/47719

Erica Howton, please look at the pix options -- would one of the others be better?

It may still need some more modifications, esp if it is used in the "Medical portal"...

I selected a similar one as slightly better. I like the blue one but it has the Shutterstock watermark & I couldn't figure out all the cartoons.

I'm glad you didn't hold back despite my caveats on "cause of death.".

Thanks for selecting the one you did... That was my first choice also, but after downloading them, I forgot about it due to the smaller size. I copied them to my draft copy & realized my mistake & went to make the change & realized you had already done it.

I hope you get some sleep tonight. I will be heading to bed soon!

Can you add electrocution as an accidental cause of death and add my name to it, please and thanks!

Also, why is stroke and apoplexy listed as two separate things? Do I need to put the COD on both or just one?

Mary,
I'll start working on a project for "Electrocution" today & either let you know when completed or add you to it when done, depending on what Geni will "allow" -- sometimes typing a first name doesn't work with the link... :-( I'll let everyone know here when the project is done also, so monitor this discussion today.

I think that Apoplexy and Stroke are both there because apoplexy is an older term used. (Until the late 19th century, apoplexy was used to describe what today we call a stroke.) If the cause of death was listed as "Apoplexy" use that one or if it was "Stroke", then use that one.

Erica Howton

Is the title for the https://www.geni.com/projects/Died-in-Electric-Chair/48357 project ok, or is there a better choice??? Do I have it in the right place in the CoD listing???

Is there tooooo much in the statistical section in the https://www.geni.com/projects/Died-as-a-result-of-Accidental-Electr... project??? Any other suggested modifications?

I think both projects are looking good.

Private User Might have more to say on Electric Chair.

I think they look good as well. I was floored by the Electric Chair one and told Pat I learned a new history lesson as I had no idea!

I do indeed know a great deal about the electric chair.

Also the American executioner who I believe still holds the record for the number of electrocutions he performed.

I will go check it out after lunch.

Showing 121-150 of 1133 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion