Col. Thomas Pettus - wife of Thomas Pettus

Started by Private User on Saturday, October 7, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 17 posts
Private User
10/7/2017 at 9:25 AM

I have found some information in the abstracts of Virginia land patents and grants about Cap. Thomas Pettus:
Capt. Thomas Pettus, one of his Majesties Councill of State, 886 acs., James City Co., Apr. 11 1643,..., by intermarriage with the relict & Exix. of Richard Durrant, &........
( complete text see sources)

Does this mean that Thomas married the widow of Richard Durrant?

D.

10/7/2017 at 5:33 PM

Correct. That would have been Elizabeth Grove according to notes in Col Pettus about

Private User
10/8/2017 at 2:09 AM

I looked at this website:
http://www.mikesclark.com/genealogy/pettus/pettus.html

And it says that Thomas married widow Durrant about 1638, but his son Stephen probably from an earlier wife named Ka-Okee was born 1642. This makes no sense to me.
So he might be the son of Thomas and Elizabeth?

10/8/2017 at 2:17 AM

I don't understand the Ka Okee "Jane" story and you are correct, if she's earlier she should be the mother of older children. On the other hand he could have been with both at the same time. On the 3rd hand, Geni shows two different sons named Thomas with two different wives

Thomas Pettus, of "Littletown"

Thomas Pettus, of "Littletown"

10/8/2017 at 2:55 AM

Found a bit more here

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=284&p...

--------

According to a Virginia land patent (1643), Capt. Thomas Pettus m. Elizabeth Durrent, "relict" (widow) of Richard Durrent, dec'd. I have found the evidence in English records to prove that Elizabeth was the sister of Bridges Freeman of James City Co., Va. Mourning was the name of the presumably second wife of Thomas Pettus II, son of Capt. Thomas Pettus. Her maiden name was Burgh (I have documentary evidence proving her identity). Thomas II had an orphan daughter Elizabeth who died testete in 1700 unmarried.

--------

"One appendix introduces new findings based upon exchanges with Native American tribal historians that lead to the conclusion that Thomas Pettus, immigrant settler from Norwich, England, married as his first wife Ka-Okee, daughter of Pocahontas. To my surprise, this tradition has been carried down in certain branches of the Pettus family of Virginia! Both books are fully documented and indexed."

------

10/8/2017 at 3:09 AM

From http://www.multiwords.de/genealogy/pettus1.htm

-----

Col THOMAS PETTUS b 1597/?1610, Norwich, England d aft 1662/?1 New Kent Co Va stepchild ?= only son of Cecily or b c 1597 d 1661 if a divorce or widower he was possibly the same Col. Thomas Pettus who came to America in 1638-1641, after serving on the Continent in the Thirty Years War, for the Virginia Company in command of forty men to assist the colonists in their struggles with the Powhatan Indians at Jamestowne. (There may be a confusion between the Thomas and Theodore in this branch with the descendants of Thomas Pettus Mayor of Norwich b 17 Sep 1552 below who were in part also in Virginia.
m2? about 1639 possibly Ka-Okee Po12. dau of Pocahontas by Kocoum d in a battle with the Susquehanna tribe
?m3 about 1645 Elizabeth Freeman/?Mouring widow of Richard DURRANT sister of Bridges Freeman, added substantial holdings to the estate which eventually encompassed 1280 acres. The PETTUS plantation left a lasting imprint on the Jamestowne and Williamsburg landscape. lived on land adjoining that of Chief Wahanganoche

m1 Ka-Okee b abt 1610 + 4 ch dau of PocahontasPo14 and Kocoum.
m2 bef 11 Apr 1643 Elizabeth Mouring + 5 ch

------

Pe12-1 Stephen Pettus of New Kent Co b c 1625 d aft 1662
Pe12-2 Christian Pettus b c 1627 m John Martin
Pe12-3 x Pettus b about 1627 m Mr. Goldsby
Pe12-4 Robert Pettis b about 1628
Pe12 Mary Pettus b c 1635 ???m Wahanganoche

Pe12-6 x Pettus b about 1638 m ?Bridges Freeman bap 25 Mar 1603 d bef 1664 Charles City Va son of Thomas Freeman of Wallingford Berks and Frances Bennet by ?m2 Capt Thomas Pettus b abt 1640

Pe12-7 Ann Pettus b c 1630 (geni.com shows her as dau of William Pettus d 18 Mar 1703 m PHILIP HUNLEY

Pe12-8 JOHN PETTUS, b about 1635 WFT Est. 1619-1650, NEW KENT CO VA d WFT Est. 1675-1733

Pe12-9 Mary Pettus b c 1647/8 d 18 Mar 1703/4 bur Timberneck, Gloucester Co VA m John Mann b c 1631 d 7 Jan 1694 bur Timberneck Gloucester Co Mann is a sept of Clan Gunn. ?m2 y Berkeley

Pe12-10 Capt THOMAS PETTUS b abt 1656, Williamsburg, James City Co Va d 1690, Lunenburg, Va m1 Mary Elizabeth Dabney s.b. m2 Mourning Glenn

10/28/2017 at 8:45 PM

My research has lead me to believe the Ka'okee line may be true. I've spoken to a Pettus family historian (my dad is Watson Pettus, son of Hallie Mason Pettus) and his research backs it up pretty well.

DNA testing is being done, but our male family members have shown a dna connection to some of Pocahontas' living relatives, I'm told.

10/28/2017 at 10:46 PM

Chasity Platts I hope you keep us updated on results.

Private User
10/29/2017 at 3:54 AM

This is interesting. I am from Christian Pettus and John Martin.

10/31/2017 at 8:36 AM

Hello cousins lol!
I will definitely keep everyone updated. My results should be back in a few weeks. Also taking an ancestry test as well (the 1st is 23andme).

Private User
11/1/2017 at 6:24 AM

I am still not convinced about that Pocahontas line.
See:
https://www.wikitree.com/g2g/278745/okee-powhatan-pettus-pocahontas...

What is the source that Ka'okee married Thomas Pettus?
And is there a record that says that Christan married John Martin?
How do we know for sure that John Martin had a daughter with the name Mary. And is there a record that shows the marriage of Mary and Josias Fugate?
I think just hearsaying is not a good source.
And what does the DNA testing exactly say? Is it for sure that the families are not connected by another ancestor?
I am also confused about that two Thomas Pettus/Pettit. Both are colonel and lived at the same time but different wifes.One married to the widow Elizabeth Durrant and the other one to Katherine Morris.Is it possible that both of them were colonel at the same time? Or was just one of them colonel and the other one not. And the records are linked to the wrong one?

11/1/2017 at 10:54 AM

Can you point to the two different col Pettus on Geni

11/2/2017 at 10:23 AM

There are 3 different ones, I have tried to make them less confusing.

Thomas Pettus, of "Littletown" was the son of Col. Thomas Pettus whose nephew was Thomas Petty, of Farnham Parish

Private User
11/3/2017 at 11:35 AM

Then this line or at least some informations are probably wrong?

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~passages/PettitPe...

Here Thomas is fathered by a Thomas and not by a William like on Gen, but same woman:

Thomas Petty, of Farnham Parish

11/3/2017 at 4:18 PM

From http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~passages/PettitPe...

Following the death of Thomas Pettit, Sr., Katherine (Morris) Pettit married (2) John Longe of King and Queen county. Child of this marriage was Catherine Longe born circa 1668.

The will of Thomas Pettit of Farnham Parish, Rappahannock was dated September 23, 1663 and proved January 7, 1664. This will mentions his wife Katherine and daughter Dorothy. This will was originally recorded in a record book now missing but was re-recorded at the request of Thomas Games (Gaines) on March 11, 1694. Thomas Games (Gaines) married Katherine (Morris) Pettit Long as her third husband. Child of this marriage was Ann Games (Gaines) born circa 1678.

-----

I think the site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~passages/PettitPe... which had lots of good info choked on keeping the 3 Thomases distinct

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion