William Moone, of Baunton - Where did William Moone die? Was he actually in Virginia?

Started by Anne Brannen on Friday, October 6, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 43 posts
10/6/2017 at 9:44 AM

I'm hoping this will be a fairly easy de Mohun/Moone fix!

As you can see in the profile as it stands, William Moone is given as having been born, and having died, in Virginia.

The problem is that both his parents lived and died in Dorset, England, and it seems highly unlikely that they took a boatride to Virginia to give birth to William, and then went back. Leaving him there.

So THAT doesn't make sense, despite the fact that many web trees, many indeed, say it to be so.

Ok.

So let's assume he was born in Dorset, as were the rest of his siblings.

Did he emigrate to Virginia?

If so, where does that information come from?

If it's web trees, and no other sources, that's not useful.

But if we have reliable sources, that would be great.

Private User
10/6/2017 at 9:52 AM

Most of the information I found was from Rootsweb, and if it matched some of the website I found in England, I used it. I found Genealogy research in several sites, but did not know how to attach to Geni website.

10/6/2017 at 10:03 AM

Rootsweb will only be useful, alas, if it actually points to real sources, which sometimes it does.

Real sources, for this time period, will be wills, charters, land grants, court cases, church documents, and the like.

10/6/2017 at 10:18 AM

One of the ways I approach "the migrating generation" is to go a step down the tree, where there might be more documentation.

And it so happens one of the Geni children of William is a profile I worked on (but not his possible parents)

John Moone of Alverstoke

Please open up the profile to review the notes and sources.

He was born in England and emigrated. In my review I notice that a different parent had been proposed by the Abelmarle Historical Society.

Hope this helps.

10/6/2017 at 10:18 AM

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=ung20...

According to the Albemarle County Historical Society in Virginia, Stephen's father was Abraham Moon. Abraham was living in Gloucester County in 1654.

10/6/2017 at 10:22 AM

... and now I believe there had been a bad merge of Robert Moone's, as Dorset is not Hampshire. Should we try to unwind some merges?

10/6/2017 at 10:26 AM

Absolutely!

I've been undoing merges, but they are vast, vast, I tell you, in these branches. l'd love the help, especially since my expertise is in the earlier branches. You know the lower ones here,

Let's do it.

10/6/2017 at 12:23 PM

So far from undo merge

- William Moone has become Robert Moone

- William ‘Edward’ Moone has been extracted from the family. Parents are not listed in the profile notes

10/6/2017 at 12:48 PM

He is in the profile notes for his father, but the link goes back to nothing.

10/6/2017 at 1:37 PM

Marsha Gail Veazey can you come take a look at Abraham Moone

He is not listed in the will of John Moone of Alverstoke and is shown with a mother married elsewhere when he was born

The source could be erroneous, it's based on www.colonial-settlers-md-va.us/getperson.php?personID=I072624&t...

----

I've restored the Capt Moore ancestry to what I had understood it to be previously. No Ann Woodward in it.

10/6/2017 at 2:15 PM

So the top of the John Moone tree is this marriage

Willyam Moone
England Marriages, 1538-1973
Marriage: Oct 16 1561 - East Meon, Hampshire, England
Wife: Joane Sherlock

Geni shows as the 12th ggs of https://www.geni.com/path/Thomas-Moone+is+related+to+Joane-Moone?fr...

It's not that far an ancestry from me, I have a 2nd great aunt who married into the Moon family (why I had looked at it)

We have the Abraham b abt 1630 issue to figure out though.

10/6/2017 at 2:17 PM

Ben exactly - and an excellent resource. But read the will in Capt John's profile.

- his widow is clearly the widow Wilson, he names stepchildren (as well as his origin place)
- he names daughters born "after" Abraham
- he does not name Abraham

10/6/2017 at 3:03 PM

The information cited in the notes for Robert Moone, of Newsham do not make sense

Either he was born in Lancashire or he was born across the country in Bristol.

If we can't find better notes I would think we should disconnect the Bristol fellow from Lancashire origins and adjust the data fields accordingly

10/6/2017 at 3:42 PM

I have reverted Robert of Braunton to his MP'd name of William Moon of Braunton. He had been married to his mother so disconnected that. Dates & locations still don't make sense, but the next step is parents.

We have a will quoted in the profile for Robert Moone, of Weymouth, Gent.

I see his sons as Robert, Maximilian and John.

Should we disconnect William

10/6/2017 at 4:00 PM

Yes. Robert and Margaret have evidence both in a will and in a brass sepulchre inscription. Yay.

So they are solid. The will is solid. The inscription seems, for Margaret, to be faulty as to date, BUT there it is, nevertheless. In brass.

10/6/2017 at 4:40 PM

William of Braunton and Robert of Braunton are no more on Geni.

Alicia Watkinson, of Yorkshire has been un merged from Alice Symonds because Yorkshire is not Lancashire and a woman cannot be married to two different men and having children with them at the same time. At least not in the 1500s they couldn't.

A new profile for sister Mary Moone named in will created, because there was no such person as Alice Mary.

We are probably missing a new more children: there were, on the monument brass, 8 boys and 7 girls. But only three boys named in the father's will so the others likely died young. It would be good to get that will attached as a document, it's probably on the National Discovery site.

But more important as next step are nailing down the Virginia immigrant Moone's.

10/6/2017 at 4:53 PM

Richard Moone, of Hawkchurch, MP notes name two children: Walter & Robert. Adding Walter, disconnecting Capt. Thomas Moone, of the "Christopher" and Henry Moone

You weren't kidding that this was vast! The SmartMatches are particularly bad, also.

10/6/2017 at 5:44 PM

OK, this is about the best we're going to get for professional assessment of the parents of John Moone of Isle of Wight

https://books.google.com/books?id=tcM40zgdAZgC&lpg=PA677&ot...

Adventurers of Purse and Person, Virginia, 1607-1624/5: Families G-P
edited by John Frederick Dorman page 677

So will adjust the tree accordingly.

Some have him as grandson of Capt. Thomas Moone, of the "Christopher"

Who had a son baptized 1670 at St Martin's in the Ludgate area, in London (which makes sense for a Hero Navigator with Sir Francis Drake).

This does not however work particularly well with a Hampshire based family, so I suggest we keep them separate unless better proof to have him as the husband of Ann Woodman. Or Emme.

10/6/2017 at 6:46 PM

@Erica Howton, should I disconnect Abraham from this tree?

10/6/2017 at 7:04 PM

I. Am. So relieved. To have more eyes on this.

I will move on up the tree.

There are sources, though the Smart Matches and the web trees have been drowning them out.

10/6/2017 at 9:14 PM

Marsha Gail (Kamish) Veazey in addition to disconnecting Abraham Moone as son of John Moone of Alverstoke perhaps put a link to Capt John Moon in Abraham's profile "about," relationship lock, and write "parents unknown" in the curator note.

I dont know enough about Abraham to know the evidence well enough one way or another but that's a very complete will John wrote, and if he had given him a portion, he would have said so, I think. Or mentioned grandchildren. So something is way wrong.

10/6/2017 at 9:22 PM

So I found an interesting note about James Moon, Sr. on his FindAGrave profile, which does not assert parents

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=134233507

According to an article in the December 16, 2007, issue of the Journal of Berkeley County, West Virginia, “It was Jacob Moon, son of the early Quaker settler Simon Moon, who in 1775 named the village of Arden for a village in England that his family had fled to avoid religious persecution.” Arden was a rural region in Warwickshire. His immigrant great-grandfather James Moon Sr is said to have been married in Bristol, so this tradition implies that James (and his brother John) came to Bristol from the Arden region around Warwickshire.

-----

I can see how "Arden in Warwickshire" corrupted into "Avon in Bristol" so I'm inclined to leave this piece of lineage. As long as it doesn't run in de Mohun so quick. The Quaker Moon's of PA had some Moxie, they hung with the William Penn, but they emigrated on a Smallpox boat, and Arden is supposed to be tiny, tiny. Not feeling any lords of manors close to 1700 here ....

10/6/2017 at 10:18 PM

I think I'm pretty clever so hopefully someone will slap me down on this.

Edward Moone (name fudged as William Edward eek) had a Geni brother Edward died a specific day in 1663 and a Geni brother William born much earlier. Ergo, William Edward was more likely Edward. Born in Lancashire (ok we need to prove this), caught George Fox fever, unaccountably moved to a tiny farming village in Warwickshire, got persecuted for his religion, his grandchildren set off for Pennsylvania.

10/6/2017 at 10:54 PM

And now we're getting somewhere with de Mohun. There's an Andrew Moriarity published article, that's top notch current genealogy (for tracking descent)

See http://www.ourgenerationsancestors.org/getperson.php?personID=I6906...

Im going to upload the page until someone can get the IPM, will, and Visitation going

10/7/2017 at 12:46 AM

Not sure who he's supposed to be but his kid goes to Lancashire

Henry Moone

10/7/2017 at 2:41 AM

The SmartMatches attached to Margaret Moone are especially egregious and have nothing at all to do with this family. I added myself as a manager so I can undo them. No wonder the Moone tree was confused.

There are at least two easily found decent compilations, I've uploaded both as sources.

http://www.ourgenerationsancestors.org/getperson.php?personID=I6907...

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~barbpretz/ps04/ps...

Seriously I'm shocked. I've seen bad trees before but this is really bad.

10/7/2017 at 8:00 AM

Yes, I have seen those sources. I am very happy with this generation. Yay.

Earlier, more problematic.

I took curatorship of many of the de Mohun profiles from the Exchange-- Customer Service was in charge of them.

I thought, hey, it's the Middle Ages. How Harvard can it be? Can't be worse than the Nevilles!

Ha ha. Ha ha ha.

10/7/2017 at 8:01 AM

Harvard is hard. My auto correct on the iPad is truly insane.

10/7/2017 at 9:13 AM

I am going to go up to the top of the tree now; I have been finding sources for the early de Mohuns. Hooray.

Showing 1-30 of 43 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion