Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 374 posts

Thomas Corbet of Lee father of Margaret sourced here without parents

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000020777895596&

I'll disconnect from parents

Looks like we have two Thomases mashed together, father and son. Thomas Sr. was the son of Sir Roger Corbet of Leigh-juxta-Caus and a Beatrice somebody, must have been born before 1389, married someone unknown, had two sons (Thomas and Peter) - no daughters mentioned, but they probably wouldn't be unless they married Somebody Important - and was buried at Sibbestone (Leicestershire) in 1424.

Thomas jr. married Jane Boerly (Burley?), but had no surviving children (died c. 1482), and his brother Peter (who married Elizabeth Brereton) did all the begetting (two sons, another Thomas and a Richard - no mention of daughters). Note on the chart says Peter was "arrested 1483", which sounds as though he got involved in the Buckingham rebellion or one of the other pro-Tudor plots of the time. Further deponent sayeth not....

Also, by the 15th century we find Corbets (and Corbetts) popping up everywhere, high and low, some of them of completely unknown ancestry. For instance, the Nicholas Corbet whose daughter Agnes Benthall married into the Benthalls. That family seems to have been local to Much Wenlock, Shropshire, and connections to the important Corbet family/families have not been found.

A bit later we find a John Corbet, brazier, in Norwich, who made enough money to buy some property and get himself styled "esquire" - his son, John jr, got into Parliament for Norwich, possibly as early as 1536 and certainly by Nov. 1554. http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/co... No connections to any other Corbets have ever been found.

do you think the two Nests are the same person? Yes, that's the way I read Thomas Corbet of Lye also.

This article describes some of the properties

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Denys,_knight#First_marriage_...

I'm disconnecting Thomas Corbin from parents he was always Corbin

Triplets, egad! It was rare enough for both of a pair of *twins* to survive to adulthood in the Middle Ages - for *triplets* to do so was almost unheard-of.

Do you think that were really triplets or the article writer just read the source that way ?

Ela de Audley do we have a source ?

Probably just read the source that way. Triplets were (and are) *so* rare that there would have been some kind of mention, if only in "family folklore". Possibly all three of them were born within two or three years of each other (the so-called "Irish twin" phenomenon).

Found Ela de Audley in Hal Bradley's database, should be good

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hwbradley/aqwg167...

Ela de AUDLEY [Parents] 1, 2, 3 was born 1290 in Heleigh, Staffordshire, England. She died Jun 1325 in Chaddesley Corbet, Worcestershire, England. Ela married Sir Peter CORBET Knight on 1318 in Chaddesley Corbet, Worcestershire, England.

Other marriages:
POLE, Gruffydd de la
FERRERS, James de

Oh it's de FERRERS, is it! And here I was chasing Perrerses while trying to dodge the Infamous Alice! :-D

By the way, Infamous Alice seems to have become a Perrers by marriage (to a London commoner) and then widowhood, after which she took up playing Abishag to the elderly Edward III.

Ela seems to have been a busy little lady - three husbands within ten years! (I think there was a son from her second marriage, named for his father, as well as continuing the Corbet line - not her fault that all her grandchildren died heirless.

All her Corbet grandshildren, anyway - need more information on James de Ferrers Jr.

Ugh, I just went into to check on Roger because I put back Thomas, father of Jane of Shropshire. And lo and behold Roger had picked by up a bunch of daughters who were either his sisters or the daughters of his brother, Fulk. I'm not even sure how it happen since I left him with only Thomas, of Lee (now detached happily), Robert, Roger, and the suspicious Margaret Corfeld.

Anyway, I'm leaving him again with Thomas, father of Jane; Roger, Robert, and Margaret. NO MORE DAUGHTERS.

I do not think we'll resolve the sons question.

I thought it might be Ferrers, sorry I didn't find another reference.

I'm impressed all that property devolved to Gilbert Denys.

Unfortunately I think Thomas Corbet, Sheriff of Shropshire needs to come right off again - I don't know where he fits in the Corbet bramble-bush, but it is NOT as a son of Sir Roger (d. end of 1395 or beginning of 1396) and Margaret Erdington.

The records are *very* clear that the only (surviving) sons of that couple were Robert and Roger - both underage. (Neither one survived to any great age, which suggests a certain amount of constitutional weakness and/or bad luck.)

Here's a possible place for him: son of *Simon* Corbett and Margaret Knight, of Sandford, Shropshire. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~coatsblueprints/7...

But where Simon comes from...???

Okay I sorted it out. Sir Roger's two daughters were named Eleanor and Joane, JUST LIKE THEIR AUNTS. Their aunts both married de Harley brothers. I've MPed the lot of them and put Curator's Notes on them all.

I see no record of what happened to Sir Roger's TWO daughters. I think Margaret Corfeld and Thomas, father of Jane, belong elsewhere but I'm thinking.

Yes, Maven, I agree with you about Thomas. Too bad because his daughter is my ancestor, but that's life!

The Cadair site is down for maintenance so no Bartrum till it is up again. I'm interested to see what the Welsh say about all this.

Alice Lake, Brother: John Lake
Husband: Thomas Corbet, High Sheriff Shropshire England

Now we should be able to find Thomas Corbet, Sheriff of Shropshire

Anne you were ahead of us and already had Bartramized Ela de Audley

High Sheriffs of Shropshire:

1426: Thomas Corbet of Leigh[7]

1433: Thomas Corbet de Ley

1443: Thomas Corbet (is this one man, two, or three?)

No luck so far on a Simon Corbet of the right age in https://books.google.com/books?id=6UtNAAAAMAAJ&source=gbs_navli...

I've build the Simon Corbet(t) tree. Not sure that Thomas Corbet(t) father of Jane was the High Sheriff. Also Alice Lake is reported to have married John Wolcott but the Web trees are all over the map, giving her a bunch of Corbet kids after supposely Thomas Corbet died...

I'll follow the Woolcut thread and see if I can find out more.

Simon born 1366 and Thomas born 1392. He married Alice Lake 1419 (other dates abound too).

Alice Lake is a famous ancestress of American immigrants, should be something in Richardson and the newsgroup soc.gen.med

Showing 31-60 of 374 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion