Sir Roger Corbet, Kt. - The Corbet Mess and the Visitations of Shropshire

Started by Private User on Sunday, September 3, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 361-374 of 374 posts

Great work. I'll go back to sleep now.

We'll need to try and iron proof this because we're correcting Complete Peerage (although luckily FMG already did)

wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=wprokasy1&id=I4319

From Complete Peerage, Vol III:417: PIERS CORBET, son and heir of Thomas C., of Caus, Salop (died 1274), by Isabel, widow of Alan de Dunstanville, sister and in her issue coheir of Roger de Vautort, and daughter of another Roger de Vautort, of Harberton, Devon. He had livery of his father's lands 2 November 1274. He was in the Welsh wars 1282-93. On 28 June 1283, he was summoned to attend the King at Shrewsbury, and 8 June 1294, to attend the King wherever he might be, and consequently ordered to be omitted from the summonses for Gascony on the 14th. He was summoned to Parliament 24 June 1295 to 29 December 1299, by writs directed Petro Corbet, whereby he is held to have become LORD CORBET. He married, 1stly, in or before 1252-3, Joan, daughter of Ralph de Mortimer, of Wigmore, co. Hereford, by Gwladus Du, daughter of Llewelyn ap lorwerth, PRINCE OF NORTH WALES. He married, 2ndly, Alice de Orreby. He died 1300, before 10 August. His widow was living May 1315

----

NO, that's Peter Corbet of Leighton!

As a reminder of the chronological problems

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GEN-MEDIEVAL/2002-12/...

> Fulk de Orreby was chief justice of Chester c. 1261, and was probably in his
> forties or fifties at this time. His daughter Alice de Orreby was born, say
> 1240 to 1250. The five generations indicated in the i.p.m. of Richard
> Corbet, born c. 1378, back to Peter Corbet, would indicate that Peter Corbet
> was born in the mid 13th century, consistent with the approximate age of
> Alice de Orreby. Augusta E. B. Corbet, in her book. "The Family of Corbet:
> Its Life and Times," indicates that this Peter Corbet was the grandson of
> John Corbet of Bynweston, who in turn was son of Roger Corbet and his wife
> Nesta. Roger was dead in 1289, and was born c. 1240. Aside from lack of
> documentation for the assertion, it is chronologically impossible that Peter
> Corbet could be the great-grandson of a man about his same age.
>
> Meisel's "Barons of the Welsh Frontier" does not provide any evidence for a
> Peter Corbet this early. Roger Corbet and his wife Nesta had a son named
> Peter who married Ela. This Peter died c. 1362. This seems to be the first
> appearance of the name Peter in the Corbet family.

------

Here's John Corbet, of Leighton who somehow acquired a Pigot sister. Maybe that will help.

Erica Howton I hope you can follow what I have here. It's the Corbet descendants of Alice sister of John de Orreby. I have work it out from scratch based on the documents we found. Let me know what you think.

1. Alice sister of John de Orreby
2. John Corbet Kt.
3. John Corbet
4. John Corbet (his brother Richard was heir to his nephew Richard, sister Alice was heir of Stapleford-Fulke and brother Roger was heir of Whalgerton, Hatherton & Church-Coppenhall)
5. Richard Corbert b. 1378 d. 1407 (said to have died a minor but was actually 29, his uncle Richard Corbet was his heir)

2. John Corbet Kt. (great-grandfather of Richard Corbet who died in 1407)
3. John Corbet
4. Richard Corbet b. abt. 1376 (married Cecilia, heir to his nephew Richard, sister Alice was heir of Stapleford-Fulke and brother Roger was heir of Whalgerton, Hatherton & Church-Coppenhall)

2. John Corbet Kt.
3. John Corbet
4. Roger Corbet (brother of John, Richard & Alice)
5. Robert Corbet (heir male of Richard Corbet, viz., son and heir of Roger son of John father of Richard)

Cool! That looks good.

Is there a sister Isabel (Corbet) Pigot in there anywhere ? :)

A liitle stuck up tree on John Corbet, of Binweston & Leighton - I think he might be one living in 1356 who got the Binweston property Beatrix had been living in, but then the Alice de Orreby dates may not work? Also wondering if Augusta has an extra John father in there.

"Roger was dead in 1289, and was born c. 1240"

Therefore John of Binwinston cannot have been his son, nor was he Eynton's 1356 guy. So we have no proof he held Binwinston, and he might be the tree top.

I haven't found an Isabel (Corbet) Pigot in the documents.

Revision of the above descent with estimated dates (25 years per generation)

1. John Corbet b. circa 1263 (we have John Corbet, of Binweston & Leighton b. 1230 date seems too early)
2. Peter Corbet b. circa 1288 (we have Peter Corbet, of Leighton b. 1255 date seems too early)
3. John Corbet Kt. b. circa 1313 (we are missing this generation)
4. John Corbet b. circa 1338 (we have John Corbet of Binweston & Leighton b. 1324)
5. John Corbet b. circa 1363 (we have John Corbet, of Leighton b. 1355)
6. Richard Corbet, of Leighton b. 1388 d. 1407 (age 16 in 1404, died a minor age 19, Alice was his sister and heir, his uncle Richard Corbet was his heir male)

Re: Peter Corbet birth date

Hal Bradley etc estimated that Alice de Orreby was born before Fulke became chief justice in 1261. I don't think we have a death date for him but Sibyl was his widow and presumably a later wife.

Isabel Pigot disconnected from parents

Thomas Corbet disconnected from parents

Sir John Corbet, Knt. created and descent moved over

Birth dates adjusted as above except Peter

All those dates are just an estimate except Richard Corbet, of Leighton b. 1388. His age is recorded in Mary Lady Ros 1404 IPM.

We can adjust the dates up or down as we need, as long as the chronology works.

Found when Chief Justice Fulke de Orreby became chief justice and his death date.

1259 on the feast of S. Michael [September 29], Roger de Montalt resigned the office of justiciary of Chester. Fulke de Orreby succeeded him.

1261 On the eve of S. Bartholomew the Apostle [August 23] Fulke de Orreby, justiciary of Chester, died. Thomas de Orreby, a blood relation of the said lord Fulke, succeeded him.

Source: 'The chronicle: 1235-61', in Annales Cestrienses Chronicle of the Abbey of S. Werburg, At Chester, ed. Richard Copley Christie (London, 1887), pp. 60-79. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/lancs-ches-record-soc/vol14/pp60-79 [accessed 22 September 2017].

It matches Complete Peerage X:170

I've added a birth date of bef. 1261 to Alice Corbet although it is possible she was born after her father's death.

Thank you for finding that.

Possibly. Nice blog.

I have disconnected Robert of Hatherton Corbet from parents Peter Corbet, of Leigh and Alice Corbet and moved him over to the Cheshire branch as a son of Robert Corbet of Hatherton, Cheshire.

Now consistent with the IPMs.

Showing 361-374 of 374 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion