Capt. Martin Palmer - Too many wives ?

Started by Erica Howton on Friday, August 25, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 29 posts
8/25/2017 at 10:04 AM

Can anyone help me figure out which people this legal case refers to?

Additional notes in the profile overviews.

From [https://books.google.com/books?pg=PA124&lpg=PA124&dq=rice+j... page 124] of Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Volumes 1-2 edited by Lyon Gardiner Tyler

Page 289. Palmer vs Word: Oct. Court, 1738.

In detinue for slaves upon a special verdict. The pltf's mother, when she married his father Martin Palmer deed, was possessed of Bridget and several other slaves &c. Palmer died before his wife in 1717 & by his will devised Bridget &c to his other children. The wife afterwards married the defendant, and in 1721 an action of detinue was brought in King and Queen Ct. in the name of the pit., his brothers and sisters, by their next friends Martin and Roger Palmer agts the defendant and his then wife as one of the extors of said testator, for Bridget and the other slaves devised to them. Verdict for defendant. Judgment in General Court for the defendant. (In the York Co. Records there is this entry: "December 10, 1676. It is the opinion of the Court about the estate of Benjamin Croshaw deed, sonne of Capt. Richard Croshaw dee'd. that Capt Martin Palmer as intermarrying with the relict of the said Capt. Croshaw deed to have administration in right of Rachel youngest daughter, & Mr. Rice Jones, in right of his wife, on the said Benjamin his estate." On January 14, 1677 (78) a commission of administration was granted to Capt. Martin Palmer "as intermarrying with the relict of Capt. Wm. Corker deed.")

8/25/2017 at 11:45 AM

>In Old New Kent County [Virginia]: Some Account of the Planters ..., Volume 1 (p. 623), Malcolm Harris writes that Capt. Martin Palmer came to Virginia in 1653 and had a wife Mary and a daughter Mary, and that after Richard Croshaw died in 1667, his widow Elizabeth (born Mallory) married Martin Palmer, and that they were established in Pamunkey Neck by 1680. [Source given: Adventures in Purse and Person, p. 146]. Together, Harris reports, they had 7 children: Martin, Roger, Thomas, Charles, Jeffery, Elizabeth and Lucy. Elizabeth Palmer married a Butler and then Robert Chandler; her sister Lucy married James Powers. Capt. Martin Palmer died in 1702, leaving as executor his son Martin Palmer. "His wife, Elizabeth Palmer, gave power of attorney to Capt. Thomas West, to relinquish her life interest in the land."

There is a mixup between Martin Palmer d 1702 and his son Martin Palmer d 1717.

It appears the 1st Martin married Richard Croshaw's widow Elizabeth; the 2nd Martin married Elizabeth Mallory.

She survived him and married Mr Ward 2nd.
----

8/25/2017 at 11:52 AM

This is my line!

But earlier than I usually mess with it -- Martin Parmer, the Martin Palmer who went to Texas and raised hell, is my fourth great grandfather (Martin Parmer)

so when you get further down the tree, I know it Very Well.

But up this far alas I'm clueless.

Except that I know there are many web tree smerges of all the Palmers and the Mallories.

So I send you my best.

Let me know if I can help directly.

8/25/2017 at 12:06 PM

Analysis really helpful here. The trees are mixing up the Elizabeths and Martins and it's understandable, they are confusing.

Ironically the slave Bridget ownership is a key, because the wills look to have been lost

Elizabeth Palmer, (widow of Richard Croshaw?)

8/25/2017 at 12:12 PM

This is what I think so far.

The 1st Martin Palmer of Pamunkey Neck died about 1702 (will?)

Married

1) Mary (evidence for Beach name?)

Two children born in New Kent or King William 1655 - 1660

That's it for surviving kids!

Daughter Mary married John (not Martin) Key, son Martin Key, supposed to have married Rachel Jones, who would have been his aunt, so not so much ....

Son Martin ll (Gent) d 1717 not 1732 (that would be Martin lll) married Elizabeth Mallory, who was not the widow of Richard Croshaw.

Based on the Bridget the slave ownership fight, she married Mr Ward after Palmer ll's death.

One of the widow Elizabeth's relinquished dower right admin to a West. Which one?

8/25/2017 at 12:41 PM

>(1) On June 25, 1677, Capt. Martin Palmer was appointed administrator of the estate of Benjamin Croshaw, son of Capt. Richard Croshaw, deceased, in the right of said Martin Palmer's wife, '''Rachel, youngest daughter of Mr. Rice (or Reece) Jones and relict of said Capt. Richard Croshaw (Vol DW-6, p. 95).''' Evidently Benjamin Croshaw had died more than a year previous, for on Dec. 24 1675, Capt. Martin Palmer was ordered by the court not to remove any of the estate in the County of York "till such time as he shall have given security for the orphans of Benjamin Croshaw" (Vol. DW-6, p. 30) Martin's first wife Mary evidently had died shortly before this date.

-----

This record analysis is massively confusing about Elizabeth Palmer

It was the daughter of Richard Croshaw and his wife Elizabeth who was named Rachel Croshaw and married Rice Jones.

So far we do not have a maiden name for this Elizabeth - widow Croshaw, 2nd wife of Capt Martin Palmer. Benjamin Croshaw of Richard's is apparently a brother who had minor children?

The 3rd wife is where I came in, tracking Corker's (not whatever garbled name is in the record). The widow of the second William Corker married Capt Martin as 3rd wife, and apparently the widow of a (can't find so far) Dr Thomas Robins married Capt Martin as his 4th wife.

BUT I am wondering if they are the same person, because the dates for administering estates of Corker & Robins on behalf of their widows are really close together. And I've seen before where 3rd husband takes over estates of both Husbands 1 and 2 (the better to snooker the kids out of their rights .... )

Widow Corker had two daughters, Sarah and Bessie, they do not seem to have acquired additional names as yet.

8/25/2017 at 12:54 PM

Rice Jones think he's Welsh ? :)

Clarifying. Rice Jones married Elizabeth Croshaw. Rachel Croshaw was youngest daughter. Benjamin Croshaw died 1675 apparently left children, unfound so far. These were the children of Richard Croshaw and his wife Elizabeth. So that seems clear enough now!

8/25/2017 at 12:56 PM

I didn't even want to mention the Rice Jones. Too gun-shy.

8/25/2017 at 1:03 PM

:)

8/25/2017 at 1:07 PM

So who was dr Thomas Robins or was that another name garble like they did with Corker? What became of Sarah & Bessie Corker? Who was Capt Martin Palmer's surviving widow ? What happened to the children of Benjamin Croshaw?

And more importantly - is the tree correct for the children of the 2nd Martin Palmer so your descent is right ? And was it this widow Palmer who married a Word / Ward who won in court against his wife's kids for the right to the slave Bridget, inherited from the Mallory family ?

8/25/2017 at 1:13 PM

To the best of my knowledge my descent is right. I vouch for the Martin Parmer and his father Martin Palmer, certainly.

BUT. That is s long line of Martin Palmers and there may be an extra generation up above my research.

My Martin Parmer was a black sheep member of the Virginia Palmers, and his dad was
Best buddies and neighbor of Patrick Henry.

That's all I got.

8/25/2017 at 1:30 PM

https://books.google.com/books?id=PR4_AQAAMAAJ&lpg=RA1-PA271&am...

Is it Rachel or Elizabeth who married Christopher Beverly? Is it just me or is it a typo? Anyway Elizabeth (Croshaw) Rice died in 1692

8/25/2017 at 2:23 PM

OK I figured that one out - Christopher Beverly doesn't show up for another generation, somehow he floated up tree with a mythical 1675 marriage date.

---

This is the current brain twister, maybe I need to read it as separate events instead of being a run on sentence

From http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/palmer/4425/

Cap[tain Martin Palmer died before December 19, 1702, when his son, Martin Palmer Gent: Executor of Captain Marti Palmer, deceased brought suit against one William Knight.

Elizabeth Palmer, wife of Captain Martin Palmer, gave power of attorney to thomas West, to relinquish her fight of dower in the land.

----

Is this Elizabeth widow Croshaw, or a later wife of Capt Martin? Reading again ensures this is not the 2nd Elizabeth wife of the 2nd Martin

8/25/2017 at 3:56 PM

And it's the Elizabeth wife of Martin Palmer Gent who gave up dower rights in 1702, wonder what this was all about

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/48236/ValentinePapersII-007493...

8/25/2017 at 3:56 PM

Reference is the Edward Valentine Papers Vol ll, Palmer Family

8/25/2017 at 4:34 PM

4th wife

From http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=7213&...

>13 ELIZABETH FOLLIOT, married first Josias Moody (or Mode), of York County, whose will was probated in 1677, She married secondly Captain Charles Hansford, born in 1647, youngest son of Col. John Hansford who was a prominent merchant and planter of Hampton Parish in York County and was a justice in 1655, whose will was probated in 1661. He left four sons and three daughters. His widow married secondly, October 10, 1661, Edward Lockey, a tobacco merchant. Another son of Col. John Hansford was Major Thomas Hansford, one of the chief supporters of Nathaniel Bacon "the Rebel", who was captured and executed by order of Governor William Berkeley, mentioned ante. One of the daughters of Col. John Hansford was Elizabeth Hansford who married in 1663 Randall Holt, son of Randall Holt, Sr., the emigrant, who came to Virginia in 1620 as a boy of 13 years. They lived at "Hog Island", Surry County, Va. (See Holt lineage, page 47.) Another daughter of John Hansford was '''Mary Hansford''' who married Dr. Thomas Robins (living 1674), son of John Robins, of Elizabeth City County, Va. (member House of Burgesses 1647-1649), and grandson of John Robins who died on a voyage to Virginia in the Margaret and John in 1622.

8/25/2017 at 9:40 PM

So we can take perhaps one of step grand ma's lines back to the 1400s although I see no sourcing

Robert Hanford

8/26/2017 at 1:36 PM

This is interesting

From http://www.collierheritage.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Collier-N...

>page 21: 21 June 1666 Thomas Robins who married Mary, daughter of John Hansford, dec'd, acknowledges having received of Edward Lockey her whole portion.

>page 23-24: Will of Elizabeth Lockey 1675 "being ancient" ... Mary Hansford, natural daughter of John Hansford, dec'd, to live with my daughter Mary Robins and serve full term ordered by York Court ..."

Mary Palmer

Step grandmama for you

10/23/2017 at 4:44 PM

Food for thoughts<
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Palmer-229
You all never did hear about a gal in every port...hey
https://www.google.de/search?q=Sailors+have+a+gal+in+every+port&amp...:

10/23/2017 at 4:59 PM

Hah!

10/23/2017 at 6:19 PM

Private tree

10/28/2017 at 6:07 AM

In life there is an answer to everything, you need just to dig down further, and read the fine print.!!!
This guy did it his way:
https://www.google.de/search?q=king+henry+the+viii+wives&amp;oq=kin...

10/28/2017 at 10:04 AM

https://palmerfamilyhistory.weebly.com/reverend-joshua-palmer.html is a great example of doing family history well. Good read. Looks unrelated to this Palmer family. :)

11/13/2017 at 7:07 PM

And you thought thee...Capt.Palmer was bad...Check out what it means a "GIRL" in every port, really means! Here is a Marriage License useless,according to GGF Garett Stoffels E Vansant
https://www.myheritage.com/names/gerret_vansant#col_a_1

11/13/2017 at 11:16 PM

That was quite the hiccup.

Reminds me of The Shining

6/8/2023 at 11:02 AM

Elizabeth (widow of Richard Croshaw) Palmer (Mallory), (widow of Richard Croshaw?) is your second cousin 9 times removed.
You
→ Viet Nam War Veteran, SFC Freddie Ralph Hicks, Sr
your father → Arvel Yewell Hicks
his father → Theodore E. Hicks
his father → William J. Hicks
his father → Nancy Melinda Hicks (Jenkins)
his mother → Ann Jenkins (Williams)
her mother → Susanna Williams (Ligon)
her mother → William Ligon, Ill
her father → Elizabeth Ligon (Batte)
his mother → Captain Henry Batte
her father → Martha Batte (Mallory)
his mother → Rev. Dr. Thomas Il Mallory, Dean of Chester
her brother → Captain Roger Mallory
his son → Elizabeth (widow of Richard Croshaw) Palmer (Mallory), (widow of Richard Croshaw?)
his daughterConsistency CheckShow short path | Share this path
Shortest in-law relationship
Elizabeth (widow of Richard Croshaw) Palmer (Mallory), (widow of Richard Croshaw?) is your 11th great aunt.
You
→ Geneive Melba Hicks (Emerson)
your mother → Ossie Mae Emerson (Pratt)
her mother → Maudie May Pratt (Crawshaw)
her mother → Margaret Frances Crawshaw (Brown)
her mother → Benjamin Franklin Brown
her father → Margaret Brown (Dempsey)
his mother → Nancy Dempsey (Thompson)
her mother → Charles W Thompson
her father → Charles Thompson
his father → David Thompson
his father → Judith Thompson (Key)
his mother → Mary Key (Palmer)
her mother → Martin Palmer, Gent.
her brother → Elizabeth (widow of Richard Croshaw) Palmer (Mallory), (widow of Richard Croshaw?)
his wife

6/8/2023 at 11:03 AM

Martin Palmer of King William County is your 11th great grandfather.
You
→ Geneive Melba Hicks (Emerson)
your mother → Ossie Mae Emerson (Pratt)
her mother → Maudie May Pratt (Crawshaw)
her mother → Margaret Frances Crawshaw (Brown)
her mother → Benjamin Franklin Brown
her father → Margaret Brown (Dempsey)
his mother → Nancy Dempsey (Thompson)
her mother → Charles W Thompson
her father → Charles Thompson
his father → David Thompson
his father → Judith Thompson (Key)
his mother → Mary Key (Palmer)
her mother → Martin Palmer of King William County
her father

Showing all 29 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion