Alice Longford (Boteler) - Parentage of Alice Longford?

Started by Anne Brannen on Thursday, August 24, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
8/24/2017 at 7:45 PM

As you can see in the curators note on this profile, there is question as to who the parents of Alice Longford were.

Many web trees give new as the daughter of William le Boteler; so far I haven't been able to find reliable sources that either show that, OR show any other parentage.

Does anyone have access to reliable sources?

There are references in one of the web trees, though the accessible ones point to Nicholas Longford, and not to his wife:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bobwolfe/gen/mn/m26869x26966.htm

Any help on this?

Tagging Hatte Blejer (absent until Nov 1) and Barry Foulks

8/25/2017 at 6:34 AM

Alice le Boteler A Sept. 28, 2001 Gen-Medieval Archives-L post states that Alice le Boteler is named in the IPM of Edward le Boteler 49 Edward III as the wife of Nicholas Longford. Edward was her brother, they were both children of William le Boteler and Ela de Herdeburgh.
There appears to be confusion on Geni about Alice le Boteler's husband, because there were two Alice's, both daughters of a William le Boteler, but two generations apart. The Alice le Boteler who married Nicholas Longford was the daughter of William le Boteler, FIRST Baron of Wemme, and the Alice le Boteler who married Nicholas Sandford (more confusion, note the name similarity to Nicholas Longford) was the daughter of William le Boteler, THIRD Baron of Wemme. In other words, Alice (le Boteler) Longford was the grandaunt of Alice (le Boteler) Sandford.

8/25/2017 at 7:11 AM

Barry, the link is taking us back to the Geni profile, not to the discus you are referencing. Can you give us a link to the discussion?

Yes, if she is showing up in a will that would be great.

There isn't any confusion about the two Alice's; the issue is very simply who the wife of Nicholas Longford was, and what is the evidence for her name.

8/25/2017 at 8:54 AM

http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/index/GEN-MEDIEVAL. This is the post from Sept. 28, 2001 that states Alice le Boteler is named in the IPM of Edward le Boteler 49 Edward III as the wife of Nicholas Longford.

8/25/2017 at 9:15 AM

Alas, this takes us to the Giant Index of All Things.

I will see if I can find the post you mean.

8/25/2017 at 9:20 AM

Ok.

I THINK, but do not KNOW, that you mean this thread:

http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read/GEN-MEDIEVAL/2001-09/1001440380

and I went through it all and I'm not seeing any evidence of Alice le Boteler being married to Nicholas Longford.

8/25/2017 at 2:28 PM

Here's what Barry is referring to in the link above. It does indeed support Alice le Boteler, sister of Ankaret and Edward (also William the Younger, Ida, Edmund, and Denise or Dionysis) as being the wife of Nicholas Longford:

"In 1275, Edward le Boteler, rector of Weston-Turville, co. Buckingham,
died without issue, leaving as his co-heirs his four sisters or their
descendants. Two of the sisters were Ankaret, wife of John le
Strange and Thomas de Ferrers (ancestress of the le Strange family of
Blackmere) and Alice, wife of Nicholas Longford (ancestress of the
Longford, Montgomery, Clarell, Fitzwilliam, and many other families).
The two sisters have many descendants, including many people who post
here on the the newsgroup."

"Edward Boteler and his four sisters were the children of William le
Boteler, of Wem and Oversley, Shropshire, by his 2nd wife, Ela de
Herdeburgh. Previously the Herdeburgh family was not thought to
possess any royal ancestry, however, it appears that Ela de Herdeburgh
does in fact descend from King Henry II through the Longespee family..."

Therefore, I will merge Alice, wife of Nicholas Longford (both Barry's new duplicate and the older profile) with Alice de Boteler, daughter of William and of Ela de Herdeburgh.

8/25/2017 at 2:46 PM

Yay!

There's that, then.

8/25/2017 at 2:53 PM

Yay!

There's that, then.

Since you're the curator who included the note, I'm happy if you are. Where this information actually comes from still isn't clear! But it looks like it's being generally accepted.

All is well.

8/25/2017 at 2:54 PM

Also, I found Edward de Boteler's IPM. What I did was Google "Inquisitions Post Mortem, Edward III, File 242" . Click on that and it will take you to the British Online History site. Scroll down to No. 100, which is "Edward Botiller, clerk". It does indeed describe Alice as his sister, and married to "Nicholas de Langeford".

8/25/2017 at 6:58 PM

Douglas Richardson wrote the book on the Plantagenets we mostly rely on. There aren't as many sources as one would like for these families, so seeing his name was fine for me. And the newsgroup tends to have quite serious folks.

I haven't worked in medieval lines for some time, so was happy to revisit and improve the Big Tree, thanks to Barry's questions. I was never an expert in all the sources.

8/25/2017 at 6:59 PM

Great to have a second source Barry!

8/25/2017 at 8:10 PM

I am totally happy with this. The information on the will is what clinches it for me.

Thanks, Barry!

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion