Son of Somerled...

Started by Laura Kaufman on Tuesday, August 8, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts
8/8/2017 at 1:35 PM

I have -Ragnall mac Somhairle, Lord of the Isles- ina branch of my tree. Can someone tell me why his father is not listed? Thanks

8/8/2017 at 3:09 PM

This profile is a medieval duplicate added for no particular reason.

8/8/2017 at 6:06 PM

So what happens to it now? Does he get merged or Somerled MacGillebride added as his father?

8/8/2017 at 6:10 PM

Maybe someday. Or just cut loose. Someone who is working in that area will have to decide whether to deal with it and how. We get hundreds of these duplicates. Each one takes time to merge and resolve conflicts. In fact, you could work on them 24/7 and never catch up. Waste of everyone's time.

8/9/2017 at 6:34 AM

The master profile for Somerled is here: Somerled, “King of the Isles”

The Rognvald mentioned here is probably a duplicate of Ragnall mac Somhairle, Lord of the Isles

Resolving all these duplicates is a tedious process; one common approach is to cut them loose from each other so that each can be handled (or deleted) without damaging the documented tree. This may be what happened here.

8/9/2017 at 9:01 PM

Harold, this is something for the curators to work on, not me-right???Thanks for your reply.

8/10/2017 at 5:00 AM

If you discover that you have added profiles that are duplicates of existing profiles, you're in the perfect position to delete them and link the genuinely new profiles in where they belong. We curators have a long list of things that need looking at!

9/18/2017 at 3:22 PM

Hmmm, I didn't know you could "link" a profile in??? When you say that are you saying create a new profile on an existing profile or is there something I'm missing?

Private User
9/18/2017 at 3:42 PM

I think he means add siblings/children/spouses/etc that "should" be there but aren't (yet). This has to be done with extreme care because of all the Bad Information and Bogus Trees out there.

9/18/2017 at 4:43 PM

That's what I thought too, Maven.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion