Anne Washington (Steptoe) - sources

Started by John Louis Akard III on Monday, August 7, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
8/7/2017 at 2:37 PM

On Anne's profile are listed 3 sources. The third one, Some Prominent Virginia Families, Vol. 1-4. By Louise Pecquet du Bellet. Lynchburg, VA: J.P. Bell Company, 1907. Page 54

has a link to another web site. I went there and found a disturbing number of errors. Since this book was published in 1907, there have been many pieces of research on the facts about Anne and her family. I use a web site run by Daryl Lundy called "The Peerage" I often find him listed as source material in other sites. Usually there are links to take you to his site so you can see the reference. However, when I see the links, there is usually a disclaimer stating that this site is not always reliable. Please look at the sources on Anne's profile, go to the third source and see if you think a disclaimer such as "The Peerage" gets, would be beneficial to Anne's profile. Most people, I've found. once they find a reference in an old book, stop doing further research on that person. Erroneous data passes on by this method. Since, I believe, there is no way to annotate these older books that are digitized on the web, we need to warn the public that not all is true in these cases.

8/7/2017 at 3:35 PM

I'm trying to think how this can be done on a systemic basis, because in theory, every single profile on geni should be disclaimed. That's 115 million linked in the World family tree.

I sometimes find that a source reference is partially correct & try to annotate the reference within the profile overview. If it is an uploaded document there is a comment section.

Very much agree about "Some Virginia Families" being an unreliable source. If you have more current citations to add to the profile, please do! It's how the tree improves.

8/7/2017 at 3:40 PM

So for example you could go here

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000025798207457&

And add a comment. Are there particular facts now shown to be in error ? Or the more general comment of caution using the source ?

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion