Annabella of Strathearn - DNA Testing Inquiry

Started by Cuzzin Ñoño on Saturday, July 22, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 15 posts
7/22/2017 at 2:18 PM

According to GenI.com, Annabella of Strathearn is my 24th great grandmother, but I interested in knowing who has done their DNA test in order for us to somehow compare notes. If we share the same information, I am assuming that her descendants can authenticate this ancestry together. Would anyone else like to join me? I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

7/22/2017 at 2:25 PM

Not sure where I stand as a relationship with her currently but I have another question perhaps can get answers.

https://www.geni.com/discussions/170254?msg=1161227

Her position in the Graham family has contradictory sources; on this profile she is parentless, but her profile Annabella of Strathearn has parents.

On this profile she is missing her first husband and any children of that marriage, can that be found & linked on Geni?

7/26/2017 at 12:23 AM

According to Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert,_"Earl_of_Strathearn, Annabella, who married firstly John of Restalrig, and secondly Sir Patrick Graham of Kincardine, who was killed at the Battle of Dunbar."

7/26/2017 at 1:47 AM

With a 24th great grandmother, you will get no results from an autosomal test - those can't show relationships reliably much beyond fourth cousins. Is she your direct maternal grandmother, so that you would share mtDNA?

7/27/2017 at 2:52 PM

Harald Tveit Alvestrand: Yes, I believe. I am hoping to confirm by knowing whom I share DNA with in this or other recent generations among those with the same tree. By comparing notes, we "might" be able to confirm with the DNA results the claims of being descendants of Annabella. Maybe in the end, we might be able to start a cult. lol. (Just kidding).

7/27/2017 at 6:27 PM

I just found this in my mail from the group soc gen med:

----

> The Medieval Lands project, SP, and other web sources I've found show that the wife of Earl Robert is unknown. However, in Royal Ancestry (2013) 2:393 (Daubeney 5iia), Douglas R. states she was an unnamed daughter of Hugh de Moray (or Moravia), by Annabelle daughter of Duncan, Earl of Fife.

> Am looking for the reasoning behind giving Earl Robert this unnamed de Moray daughter, and further, her descent from Duncan, Earl of Fife (which one, there are two). While naming patterns of are consistent with the identifications, surely there's more behind it.

> If it matters, here is the connection to the Duncansons: 2nd husband of Earl Robert's daughter Annabelle was Patrick Graham, Knt. (see SP 6:207). From there it's several generations of Lord Graham's down to Agnes, wife of Walter Forrester.

It's interesting that you have received no answer since your first
posting about this on 16 July - it would seem easy enough to respond
with a copy-paste of notes within 11 days, as frequently done for other
questions regarding Richardson's books.

In this case it may be worth your while to consult Cynthia Neville's PhD
thesis, *The Earls of Strathearn from the twelfth to the mid fourteenth
century, with an edition of their written acts* (University of Aberdeen,
1983), available here:
http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.381152. She found no
evidence for the name or family of Robert's wife, and by the way
disputed the conclusion in SP over the second wife of his daughter
Annabilia (Neville considered this was David, not Patrick Graham).

Peter Stewart

7/27/2017 at 6:29 PM

Tagging Linda Wellman

7/27/2017 at 8:14 PM

I've been following the discussion. Not sure what I can add. If she's Patrick Graham's wife, she is my 20th GGM - if David's wife, she's my 21st GGM. Just for general interest, this is my line:

Annabella (wife of Patrick Graham) --> Amanda Graham of Kincardine --> Sir John Drummond, 11th of Lennox --> Annabella Drummond, Queen Consort of Scotland --> James I of Scotland --> Annabella of Scotland --> Ann Deacon (Gordon) --> Thomas Deacon 1 thru 4 --> Phebe Gould (Deacon) --> Francis Gould --> Martha Barrett --> Margaret Robbins --> Hannah Page --> Lois Wellman (Page) 4th GGM

7/27/2017 at 8:43 PM

I was hoping you'd read the dissertation for us to resolve where she belongs. :) we're fighting Wikipedia on this.

Sharon Doubell see the scholarly weigh in on the daughter of Matilda (that she wasn't)

10/30/2019 at 7:28 AM

Any updates regarding the fight with Wikipedia?

10/30/2019 at 7:34 AM

And is there any clarification on her birth date? I'm thinking of the question posed at Sir John Drummond, 11th of Lennox

2/21/2021 at 7:21 PM

Speaking of this line, there is a 2-generation discrepancy between what Geni.com has for John's ancestry and the ancestry in the book "The Genealogy of the Most Noble and Ancient House of Drummond"

2/22/2021 at 7:17 PM

It's in the first discussion here: Sir John Drummond, 11th of Lennox

Erica Howton Any thoughts on that?

2/22/2021 at 7:21 PM

She is my 21st great grandmother if we can believe that. I question everything as of late. Linda Zimmerman, it seems to be a Graham thing. That is your ball park, I think.

2/22/2021 at 7:23 PM

Harald Tveit Alvestrand, I had the same question. I am not sure about any autosomnal DNA results with this kind of line unless MtDNA. That might be a shot.

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion