Started by Private User on Friday, July 21, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
Private User
7/21/2017 at 9:45 AM

The Blog https://www.geni.com/blog/new-on-geni-multilingual-profiles-386125.... and the information in Help
https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/articles/229704207 both include the comment: "If a profile has a biography in multiple languages, you will see a language selector to the right of the About heading. Simply select the language in which to view the biography."

However - NOW ALL PROFILES HAVE THAT LANGUAGE SELECTOR to the right of the About heading - SO NOW there is NO INDICATION WHEN THERE IS INFORMATION IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE.

For example: Élisabeth Borne just has a "Reference" to Geneanet/Smart Copy in the English (default) About - if one thinks to click on the language selector to the right of the About heading, one discovers the choice of French also, and there is lots of info there.

Please Note: this is also true for projects. Elisabeth has two Projects referenced -- when I go to them, I am of course seeing them in English - where I am just told "Profiles of French Government" in one of them, and nothing in the other. If I think to use the Language Selector, I can them see there is a choice of French, and if I choose that, then I can see lots of information.

Private User
7/21/2017 at 9:57 AM

Nicole Frier and Aimé Marius Deneuve just have a French About (no English/Default).

Laura Flessel and Marielle Gallo are same situation as Elisabeth in first comment -- does anyone know -- QUESTION: does Smart Copy automatically create its Reference in English - thus adding an English version of the About if it is used when a profile, for example, just had French as in the ones above?

Private User
7/21/2017 at 10:08 AM

Edmond Jean Octave Perrier has both information under "English (default)" and under "French" -- BOTH in French -- and the two have different info.

[currently - English starts: "Individual Note / Légion d'Honneur : /
Chev. le 13 juillet 1881 Officier le 31 décembre 1895 Commandeur le 8 octobre 1909, remise le 9 novembre 1909 par Mr Duguet de l'Académie de Médecine ...."
French starts: "Jean Octave Edmond Perrier, né le 9 mai 1844 à Tulle et mort le 31 juillet 1921 à Paris, est un zoologiste et anatomiste français. / Biographie Des études brillantes / Issu d'une vieille famille tulliste (son grand-père était contrôleur à la Manufacture d'armes de Tulle), ..."]

The profile was added July 2017, so not an example of one added before multiple languages implemented (I have also seen examples of Profiles added earlier, where the About is in French on the page claiming to be "English (default)")

Private User
7/21/2017 at 10:11 AM

QUESTION - Do we need a way to let folks know there is info in another language?
Should that be something Geni implements?
And/or - should we start considering a "Best Practices" to alert folks?

7/21/2017 at 11:43 AM

Re: QUESTION - Do we need a way to let folks know there is info in another language?
Should that be something Geni implements?

I think that would be helpful. The idea ? is that we see whatever our Geni chosen language is, but on names, I can see the other language names. Looks like that hasnt yet been implemented for profile & project "about's." in other words, there no info to show that there might be info elsewhere.

I would think a SmartCopy citation is on your own default language "about."

7/23/2017 at 4:12 PM

May be Geni could put a symbol on the about language tab to indicate that info on multiple languages tabs is available

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion