Saint Arnoul, bishop of Metz - Title Capitalization

Started by Sharon Doubell on Thursday, July 20, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Photo by Joel Rouse of the United Kingdom Ministry of Defence; retouched by Wikipedia user nagualdesign. Licensed under the United Kingdom Open Government Licence v3.0 (OGL v.3). Via Wikimedia Commons at https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Queen_Elizabeth_II_in_March_2015.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

Related Projects:

Showing 31-42 of 42 posts

I suppose if you belong to one of the Catholic or Orthodox traditions then bishops are some rare and exalted species of human. If you don't, then they're just one particular level in the hierarchy of one particular faith tradition in a world that's full of hierarchies and faith traditions ;)

Yes, but ditto the queen of England.

Sure. Why not? Minimal capitalism.

It's not like this is anything to stress about ;)

:-)

TITLE FORM VERSUS SENTENCE FORM

Should we be treating the title for each profile as if it were a"title" or as if it were a "sentence"?

In my opinion, I view GENI as being no different than a regular book with many chapters. I view each of GENI's profiles as being regular chapters in a book.

Hence, in this situation I would adhere to and thus follow the standard rules that are applicable to the capitalization of a chapter's title or subtitle. And I would only adhere to the capitalization rules that are applicable to writing sentences within the "about section" of each profile and certainly not in the profile's title section. .

It is for this reason that I previously introduced the example of a title on a statute's plaque. The idea being that a plaque would normally use standard rules that are applicable to TITLE FORM as opposed to standard rules that are applicable to SENTENCE FORM.

Remember that a title to a book, to a statute or to a profile on Geni is simply meant to capture the reader's attention and that is the reason why the normally non-capitalized word "bishop" or any other ranking or work title should be capitalized.

How does this relate to your previous argument?

You have been saying non-capitalization is "distasteful" and "disrespectful". Now you're saying names should be like chapter headings. (That's certainly an interesting pov.)

Are you saying that not treating names like chapter headings is distasteful and disrespectful? Because?

the use of lowercase letters does not make me less than I am, nor does the use of uppercase letters make me more than I am. do i write out my whole name, capitalizing every one of all 6 and then adding my courtesy title(s) as well?
no...i am simply ben...and I would bet that any saint or bishop would be so humble as to not be worried at all about capitalization...so what's all the fuss about?

Private User this changes, is some sort of vandalism. - elizabeth the second, queen of the united kingdom
Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom

Very funny Ben, but don't do it again.

I put it back.

Please allow me to Sincerely Apologize for my very English sense of Humour while at the same time expressing Heartfelt Gratitude that someone Gets It and also to make the Promise that I won't do it again.

Thank You for your continued Patience and Understanding,
ben

I spent 5 minutes laughing before I reverted it ;)

B^]

Showing 31-42 of 42 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion