Trader ... Hughes - Cleanup

Started by Justin Durand on Tuesday, July 18, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 88 posts

Sorry I missed this. Grandson ! But who was Rice Hughes ?

Rice Hughes was an early settler, probably 1649 in what is now New Kent County. It's in Tidewater Virginia -- that is the eastern part of the state, far from Amherst County out west.

As I do some checking it seems clear enough that Orlando Hughes was a son of William, and William seems to have been son of Rice, but not clear whether of Rice Sr. or Rice Jr., and not clear whether Rice Jr. was a son or grandson of Rice Sr.

Nathaniel Davis, of Hanover is an interesting name.

Certainly. But I haven't yet found any evidence for him. It would be significant if Trader Hughes or Rice Hughes had a son Nathaniel Davis Hughes before his daughter married Nathaniel Davis. But, no evidence of him. Not even Don Greene lists him as a son.

I propose cutting the list of Rice Hughes' children to include only the four sons accepted by Forrest Mullins: Rees, Robert, Edward, William.

Mullins seems to be the leading researcher in this area. We can put the other kids back if we find evidence for them.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=hughe...

I would suggest the tree you referenced as the one to conform to on geni, yes. Has there been any updates since 2013?

I'll work toward that goal in stages. Every now and then I find new stuff that cites Forrest Mullins but I haven't yet found a source directly from him.

Just a thought...Devil's Advocate...maybe there was a "Trader" Hughes and a "Traitor" Hughes, and this caused some confusion...I know, but you never know...
B^]

"A research into the church records revealed no sign of the supposed three immigrant Hughes brothers (Orlando, Leander and William) in the early 1700s. The parish vestry records reveal Orlando’s presence much later, and very much in line with the discoveries in the county land records. While an examination of the Henrico Parish and St. James Parish records provided no evidence of the Hugheses in question, the next division brought some success. In 1745 St. James Parish was divided to form two parishes in Goochland County-St. James-Northam north of the James River and St. James Southam south of the same river. The latter parish in time became more commonly called Southam Parish and for its first four years was part of Goochland County and then thereafter into the 1770s completely in Cumberland County formed in 1749. In the Vestry Book of Southam Parish on September 10, 1751, Orlando Hughes was mentioned for the first time."

Or possibly "Carpenter" Hughes...

"The next meeting of the vestry came on December 2, 1755, in which the payment of £14 and 4 shillings to Orlando Hughes was mentioned due when his work was finished. The next meeting of the vestry came in April of 1756 and all of the entries dealt with the returns of the processioners. The rest of the business of the parish was done at the November 29, 1756, meeting of the vestry. Here the only reference to work on the gallery at Ham Chapel was that of Orlando Hughes with a payment as soon as he finished. It appears that Orlando constructed the gallery at Ham Chapel. But what was a gallery in the 1750s? It probably was a balcony installed to increase seating capacity within the building."

Hello, all!

Am helpfully chiming in now, after having gone and Looked Stuff Up.

there is speculation that the father of Rice Hughes, of New Kent County

is John Hughes

John Hughes

But it seems more likely to me that this John Hughes is actually

John Hughes

who is of course born much too late.

All of the non-web tree evidence that I am seeing, that's sourced, says that it comes from J.E. Griffith's "Pedigrees of Anglesey and Carnarvonshire Families" -- which naturally is not available as an e-text and must be found in hard copy.

I believe I'll get on that, as I'm now interested in this interesting problem --

but in the meantime, does anybody have easy access to a copy?

Unfortunately not. I might have copies of a page here or there from when I lived in Salt Lake and had easy access to this stuff, but whatever I might have in that hoard is not filed anywhere near the Hughes stuff.

Well then we're looking at borrowing a copy or https://www.amazon.com/Pedigrees-Carnarvonshire-collateral-Denbighs...

Best deal I've found so far is on Biblio:
https://www.biblio.com/book/pedigrees-anglesey-carnarvonshire-famil...

3rd edition, £100.

Such a deal, but still I"m not biting. I might put it on my ABE watchlist and see if I can snag a copy for $20 sometime in the next few years.

What I ended up using is a rootsweb data base that apparently gives us all of the thing. I am so impressed.

So there may be typos, but at least it gives us SOME sort of start -- here is one of the John Hughes pages --

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SHOW&db=will...

I suppose this drives the nail in the coffin for the idea Rice Hooe was a "Rector" ;)

heh heh.

What I love about the Pedigrees is that they actually make sense. I cannot tell you how relieved I am.

But then. No going to America, no being Sirs and what not. Just humans working and making their livings on the Isle of Anglesey.

"No going to America".

So...

And my recent very silly pet theory that Orlando had something to do with naming or being named after the place in Florida seems to have been blown to bits by Wiki...or was it?

Prior to being known by its current name, Orlando was once known as Jernigan. This name originates from the first permanent settlers, Issac and Aaron Jernigan, cattlemen who acquired land two miles northwest of Fort Gatlin along the west end of Lake Holden in July 1843 by the terms of the Armed Occupation Act.[18][19][19] Aarron Jernigan became Orange County's first State Representative in 1845 but his pleas for additional military protection went unanswered. Fort Gatlin was briefly reoccupied by the military for a few weeks during October and November 1849 and subsequently a volunteer militia was left to defend the settlement.[19] A historical marker indicates that by 1850 the Jernigan homestead (or Fort Gatlin in some sources)[20] served as the nucleus of a village named Jernigan.[21] According to an account written years later by his daughter, at that time, about 80 settlers were forced to shelter for about a year in "a stockade that Aaron Jernigan built on the north side of Lake Conway". One of the county's first records, a grand jury's report, mentions a stockade where it states homesteaders were ``driven from their homes and forced to huddle together in hasty defences [sic]." Aaron Jernigan led a local volunteer militia during 1852.[19]

Jernigan appears on an 1855 map of Florida and by 1856 the area had become the county seat of Orange County.[22][16] It is known for certain that the area was renamed Orlando in 1857.[19] The move is believed to be sparked, in part, by Aaron Jernigan's fall from grace after he was relieved of his militia command by military officials in 1856. His behavior was so notorious that Secretary of War Jefferson Davis wrote, "It is said they [Jernigan's militia] are more dreadful than the Indians."[23] In 1859, Jernigan and his sons were accused of committing a murder at the towns post office. They were then transported to Ocala but escaped.[21]

There are at least five stories as to how Orlando got its name. The most common stories are that the name Orlando originated from the tale of a man who died in 1835 during a attack by Native Americans in the area during the Second Seminole War. Several of the stories relay an oral history of the marker for a person named Orlando, and the double entendre, "Here lies Orlando." One variant includes a man named Orlando who was passing by on his way to Tampa with a herd of ox, died, and was buried in a marked grave.[24] At a meeting in 1857, debate had grown concerning the name of the town. Pioneer William B. Hull recalled how James Speer (a local resident, and prominent figure in the stories behind the naming of Orlando) rose in the heat of the argument and said, "This place is often spoken of as 'Orlando's Grave.' Let's drop the word 'grave' and let the county seat be Orlando."[20][23]

Hughes, Rhys b: in Machynlleth, Wales
Hughes, Rhys b: in Llanfigael, Talybolion, Wales; p 41
Hughes, Rhys
Hughes, Rhys b: in Maes Y Pandy, Tal y Llyn, Merioneth, Wales d: 1608
Hughes, Rhys b: in Heneglwys, Malltraeth
Hughes, Rice b: in Cwm, and Glan Yr Afon, Wales
Hughes, Rice b: in Cefn Llanfair; pp 168, 224
Hughes, Rice b: in Gwydryn fawr d: BEF 1760
Hughes, Rice b: in Treferwydd d: in Dwyran, llanerchymedd
Hughes, Rice
Hughes, Rice b: in Cwm, and Glan Yr Afon, Wales
Hughes, Rice , Clerk b: 1748 d: 29 JUL 1794
Hughes, Rice George Bulkeley d: Deceased
Hughes, Rice Robert , Rector Of Newborough b: 18 MAR 1800 in Coed Helen, Caernarvon, Wales d: 30 NOV 1850

2 Rice Hughes Jr's ?

Rice Hughes, Jr.

Private

I mean to ask...is there a Rice Hughes, a Rice Hughes II, and a Rice Hughes III?

A much more complicated question than it appears. I'm working through the first few generations down from Rice Hughes Sr., but oh my word. There's an amazing difference of opinion among researchers how to arrange all the different Rices.

For example Robert Hughes, proven son of Rice Sr, got land for bringing over a Rice Jr. but was that his brother (who it seems would have been born in Virginia) or was that his son? But if his son, are the other records really about a brother of that name?

Then there is a problem of an oral history that claims the family were Huguenots, but then names one generation as Jesse when the dates and relationships actually fit Robert, and names a famous frontiersman named Jesse Hughes as a member of the family even though he was demonstrably a member of an entirely different Hughes family.

At this point I'm not convinced these problems can be solved.

And how can it be that there are zero results for "Hughes" in this book?

The Historie of Travaile Into Virginia Britinia
By William Strachey

Showing 31-60 of 88 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion