Duplicates

Started by Laura Diane Jaco on Sunday, July 16, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 16 posts
7/16/2017 at 3:32 PM

If you post a link to the url of the profile, a curator who is knowledgable in that area can merge them.

7/17/2017 at 2:24 AM

This is the Discussion they need to be posted on https://www.geni.com/discussions/158450?page=15

7/17/2017 at 2:52 AM

Reminder: PLEASE DO NOT MERGE UNSOURCED DUPLICATES INTO THE MEDIEVAL TREE UNLESS YOU ARE PREPARED TO DO THE 2 TO 3 HOURS IT TAKES TO TRACK DOWN & CLEAN UP ALL THE CONFLICTS & SUBSEQUENT MERGES THIS CREATES.

PLEASE NOTE: Unless you are a primary manager on the whole line in the world tree (can be hundreds of profiles!), most of the clean ups won't show in your Merge Centre - but they WILL show in the other peoples' merge centres. When those people merge or resolve - the subsequent conflicts will show in other peoples' merge centres.... and so on, for days!

7/17/2017 at 3:03 AM

PLEASE DO NOT CREATE DUPLICATES IN THE MEDIEVAL ERA: For Those Of You Who Have Created Medieval Duplicates: Geni can be confusing, because it's not like other genealogical sites. You do not have to enter into Geni all the ancestors you know, because a great many of them will already be there. Once you connect the nearest ancestors you can into the world tree, you are connected to all the early ancestors who are already in the Geni world tree. As a rule of thumb, it's probable that if you have a profile before 1600, it's in the Geni tree already. Since the goal here is to create one world tree, we all work at having one profile per person. That means that all the duplicates have to get dealt with.

Did You Know:

* Geni uses blue boxes (& blue circles on tree view) to let you know that there may be a duplicate of the profile you've created. It can be difficult to find the early duplicates on Geni, because often the spelling of a profile from before 1600 can have several variant spellings. If you have trouble finding duplicates for early profiles, please contact one of the Medieval Curators. The list of curators, by geographic area, is here: https://www.geni.com/projects/Geni-Curators/9960. As a rule of thumb, it's probable that if you have a profile before 1600, it's in the Geni tree already.

Medieval Curators working on this project include:

Anne Brannen -- specializing in Wales, Ireland, Scotland, England, and France, from 800- 1500 AD
Harald Tveit Tveit Alvestrand -- specializing in the Scandinavian saga eras (pre-1000)
Justin Swanström -- specializing in fictitious genealogies (pre-1500)
Sharon Lee Doubell - specializing in Charlemagne & Medieval Scotland

*Instead of creating duplicates of the historical profiles on the medieval part of the tree, just use the top right pop-down menu to Request Management. Or, if you have information that differs from what you are seeing in the tree, you can contact the managers -- or the curator, if it is a Master Profile -- or start a public discussion from the profile itself. (Please be aware, though, that the quality of your sources will matter to your argument! There is an enormous amount of misinformation on the web, and personal trees that are on the web, without sources to back them up, are not in themselves reliable sources.)

* Remember however, that if you're in the World Tree, & Geni shows a relationship line between you & that profile, it is already part of your tree Once you connect the nearest ancestors you can into the World tree, you are connected to all the early ancestors who are already on the Geni World Tree.

7/17/2017 at 7:43 AM

Why then, in a branch of my family tree , it will go to a certain person-say ,Ivar the Boneless-but then does not fill in to his parents -who are already in the tree & very well known? I know who they are because i hve them in another branch. GENI did not fill in the ancestors of Ivar in my tree.....I know the parents are listed as Ragnar Lodbrok & Aslaug .......but it never filled them in.....

7/17/2017 at 8:33 AM
7/17/2017 at 8:34 AM

Can you post the links and I'll try to understand better.
Are you saying that it didn't fill them in when you created the profiles?

7/17/2017 at 8:37 AM

Laura Diane Jaco when u follow that link you see Ivars profile page including his parents. Yes?

When you say Geni does not fill in Ivars parents on your tree i assume you are looking in tree view mode?

Unless you are looking at a different Ivar profile i think the issue is with how your tree view settimgs are currently adjusted.

7/17/2017 at 8:42 AM

Ahh - thanks Alex - crossposted - great minds :-)

7/17/2017 at 8:46 AM

"Ivar the Boneless" has no children - so he will not appear as a direct ancestor in the tree of Laura, or anybody else.

7/17/2017 at 11:01 AM

Another thought on Tree View (Horizontal). If there are duplicates in the tree (that is, a cousin marriage), the line back will only show once.

7/17/2017 at 6:11 PM

Sharon Lee Doubell , here is the link to Ivars' Sons' profile....

Unidentified child of Ivarr

7/17/2017 at 6:16 PM

Laura, that's one of the messed up duplicates we're struggling with. A big tip off is the recently added date and the small number of managers compared to the level of interest in this area of the tree.

It should be disconnected from son Sitric "Cáech" ua Ímair, King of Dublin & York but I'll leave it for now so our other medieval curators can see it.

7/17/2017 at 8:31 PM

Justin, ,I see how things can be very confusing & thanks for your patience!

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion