Capt. "Trader John Rice Hughes - Trading Licensure/ Hoosiers / MD was part of VR at that time. / sources / Allied familes by Rev War era.

Started by Private User on Saturday, July 15, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 16 posts
Private User
7/15/2017 at 7:55 PM

Remember at the time of this Hughes licensed trader status in Virginia Colony, that Virginia included Maryland. Hughes was Licenced Traders of Virginia initially was to a handful of Traders. The theory is that when the trading became unlicensed, it lead to raids by NA to offset encroachment and that led to the Cherokee War. Working backwards, the licensed traders mentioned by Adair may not have covered everyone; but, it did mention the Hoos and that they first came to Delaware area ====Adair's "Expansion of South Carolina on the Hughes/Hoos/Howes that got one mention.= Screen shot from Archive Stream dot com behind a paywall.

Reading slowly 500 pages of http://www.ancestraltrackers.net/va/resources/virginia-magazine-his... Is this the Licking Branch Hughes/Hoos whose Hoosiers Canal builders went to Indiana.
Allied Families with this family at this point in the 1600s were the early Lotts who were of I ydna and were Iberian connecting to King Canutt, which some Iberian Peninsula folks moved to Denmark and that is how far back the Lotts go back with the Hoos, as John Lott III served under Capt Hughes/Hooe(s) in the Rev War an by that time, that part of both families were in the Goinstown area, VR.

7/15/2017 at 8:44 PM

Careful with his name, because I am of the belief that he's been mixed up with a Quaker Rhys Hughes of Welsh origin. Also keep in mind that haplogroup I is rare in Wales, & most of the licensed Indian traders were Scots origin. My possible relative John Musgrove was from Cumberland, North England.

Private User
7/16/2017 at 6:01 AM

Ok. That is what I was thinking when I put Hughes to Howe to Hoos and the ydan chart has the only New Ken John Hughes as being in the company of English. Will add the Howe/ - Hoos in the name because the Licking Creek Hoos and Rice sell me on the connection.

7/16/2017 at 1:07 PM

Rice Hooe links:

msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/speccol/sc3500/sc3520/000600/000669/pdf/drews.pdf

https://books.google.com/books?id=o78RAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA427&lpg...

7/16/2017 at 1:09 PM

https://books.google.com/books?id=tcM40zgdAZgC&pg=PA339&lpg...

Adventurers of Purse and Person, Virginia, 1607-1624/5: Families G-P edited by John Frederick Dorman page 339

Line on Geni starts here: Rice Hooe, of Merchant's Hope

Private User
7/16/2017 at 1:24 PM

It's that Seymour line that sells me. He would have had first dibs at licensed trade which Adair said initially was very limited.

7/16/2017 at 3:01 PM

Are you saying that Rice Hooe, II, of Merchant's Hope = Trader Hughes of the unknown first name who ran a trading post with a native woman?

7/16/2017 at 3:04 PM

You would need to copy & paste this into a browser window, it's a good summary of the early Hooes

msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/speccol/sc3500/sc3520/000600/000669/pdf/drews.pdf

Private User
7/16/2017 at 3:10 PM

I think Rice Hooe II = Trader Hughes, yes. Would you want me to copy and past that into the discussion window of II?

Private User
7/16/2017 at 3:37 PM

Copied and pasted into Trader Hughes. I will copy and past it to Rice Hooe II now.

7/16/2017 at 4:17 PM

Good. Here's a detailed pedigree of the first three Rice Hooes, which links to land ownership:

Http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kell/dad/hooe.html

What makes you equate this family with Trader Hughes?

7/16/2017 at 4:19 PM

(I'm having trouble making live links today, sorry!)

Private User
7/16/2017 at 4:31 PM

I can do.

Private User
7/16/2017 at 4:34 PM

Nope. It won't allow.

Private User
7/20/2017 at 9:32 PM

Trader ... Hughes has descendants who are cousin matching via a descendant MRCA of Rice Hooe II. The circle is up to 6 matches on chromosome 16 triangulating to Tabitha Harris and as more come it, will add to her profile.

7/24/2017 at 10:22 AM

Some interesting possibilities here.

In 1662 there was a lawsuit in Charles City County over payment for an "Indian girl" who Rice Hooe, II, of Merchant's Hope had purchased from Manwaring Hammond. And, oddly, it seems to have been Rice Hughes, of New Kent who signed the initial contract on Hammond's behalf.

Other researchers have already speculated that this Indian girl might have been Nicketti, or the original version of Nicketti.

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion