Started by Private on Friday, July 14, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 132 posts
Private
7/14/2017 at 10:43 AM

Different cooks are stirring the Simon Hoyt soup, three since yesterday. With Simon Hoyt, Susannah who knows, and Jone Stoodley all MPed, I can't correct errors.

I have found J Cornelius Haight in Fishkill, NY is a direct descendent of Simon Hoyt of CT/NY. He provided the Upwey data for the 1903 publication. He was alive before and after the Upwey pre-1654 data was destroyed in 1831. With far more limited resources and the only recorded Simon Hoyt in Upwey, it would be easy for Mr. Haight to assume the Upwey Simon Hoyt died in Connecticut.

John Charles Pelkey
7/10/2017 at 5:41 PM
Simon, Joan, and Susannah Hoyt are MPed. I did not merge the Simon, Jone, and Susannah I created for the following reasons:

MPed Simon has the West Hatch Simon combined with the Upway Simon.
MPed Susannah has three husbands with children born at the same time.
MPed Joan has a different set of parents, for which I could not find any supporting data.

Simon Hoyt of Somerset & Stamford
Susannah Bates
Jone Hoyt, of Broadwindsor

Some of their children have been merged, making for unresolved conflicts.

John Charles Pelkey
7/10/2017 at 4:41 PM
Marshwood Hoyt marriage entry

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/2243/32914_1831115184_0344-000...

John Charles Pelkey
7/10/2017 at 4:37 PM
In case you want to reference the source documents - through Ancestry.com

Upway Hoyts
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/61157/46155_b290412-00472?pid=...

West Hatch Hoyts (Walter, Nicholas, Alexander, Agnes) (Enter name and baptism date)
http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=9841
Broadwindsor Hoyts (Jone and John)
http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=2243
Marshwood Marriage (Simon Hoyt and Jane Hardlor - document reads Jone Stoodley)

http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=9849

Erica "the Disconnectrix" Howton
7/10/2017 at 4:02 PM
John has been working hard & well in this difficult area. Time for more pairs of eyes!

John Charles Pelkey
7/10/2017 at 3:19 PM

Hi clump of happy curators,

As you four are the curators for the Hoyt family, this is directed to you.

I have been working with Erica and Eugene on the Hoyt family history, specifically the Simon Hoyt - John Hoyt connection.

Simon Hoyte (the Deborah Stowers husband)
Simon Hoyte, of Upwey

Sgt Mgr John Hoyt of Massachusetts
https://www.geni.com/people/Sergeant-Major-John-Hoyt/60000000040929...

Simon Hoyte (the Jone Stoodley husband)
Simon Hoyt of Somerset & Stamford

John Hoyt of Connecticut
John Hoyt of Rye

In the past month, I have researched about 100 documents and probably twice as many opinions of those documents. Older documents indicate a Simon Hoyt of Upway as the immigrant to Massachusetts and later Connecticut. More recent documents disprove this and move to the Simon Hoyt of West Hatch.

However, it is quite apparent there are two John Hoyts, one 1614-1688 who died in Connecticut and another with disputed birth but who died in Massachusetts. Most documents and opinions claim both are the sons of the same Simon Hoyt and combine them, their wives, and their children. Recently, Erica informed me the John Hoyt of Massachusetts could not be a close relation to the Simon Hoyt of Connecticut.
My theory, therefore, is this. Two John Hoyts were fathered by two Simon Hoyts and the birth and marriage documents at Upway are correct. Although both John Hoyts went to America and died there, well documented, only the Simon Hoyt of West Hatch went. it makes sense if one sets aside the opinions and looks at the data.

As the older documents no longer in existence indicate this, all birth and marriage events in Upway (corrected to Upwey by purists.)
Simon Hoyte,was the son of John Hoyt and Ruth Smith, and born 1/20/1590. On 12/2/1612, he married Deborah Stowers, daughter of Walter and unknown Stowers and born 5/1/1593. They had six children:

1. John born 3/12/1614
2. Walter born 6/9/1616
3. Thomas (possibly Hyatt) born 9/20/1618
4. Deborah born 8/9/1620 - died 6/3/1628
5. Nicholas possibly born 1622
6. Ruth born 1/2/1625 - died 5/9/1627

The Upway Hoyt children partially coincide with the West Hatch Hoyt children

Simon Hoyt (c1595-9/1/1657) was the son of Michael Hoyte and unknown, doubtful Agnes, and born in West Hatch. He married on on 11/4/1617 in Marshwood, Jone Stoodley (2/8/1596-1630), daughter of John and possibly Dorothie Stoodley, and baptized in Broadwindsor..

1. Christopher (c1616-8/22/1618) baptized in West Hatch
2. Walter 11/30/1618
3. Nicholas 5/7/1620
4. Alexander 12/2/1623
5. Agnes 10/8/1626
6. John 1/11/1629 baptized in Broadwindsor (if you read the source document, you will notice it is not 12/25/1628)

Both Simon Hoyts have a Walter, Nicholas, and John. However the remaining six children have unique names. And, none of the birth dates are the same.

For the disavowed Simon Hoyt, the children's name make sense

1. John named after Simon's father
2. Walter named after Deborah's father
3. Thomas named after Simon's brother
4. Nicholas named after Deborah's brother
5. Deborah named after her mother
6. Ruth named after Simon's mother.

The real issue here and the cause of the conflicting opinions is who went to America and who didn't.

Simon and Jone, with their children Walter, Nicholas, and John, likely went to America. Alexander and Agnes likely were dead and did not. Simon, Walter, Nicholas, and John are documented in Connecticut, even if the birth dates are interspersed.

Simon and Deborah, with their children Walter and Nicholas, likely didn't go to America. Their son John likely went and their son Thomas possibly went. Deborah and Ruth died young. John is documented in Massachusetts. Thomas possibly documented in Connecticut.

These are the conclusions I've drawn based on the documents I've researched. As far as I can tell, they are not a match to anyone. However, all previous published opinions did not have the DNA evidence to support a complete separation.

PS: One can't sell the concept of Simon's and John's Upway baptism dates applying to the other Simon and John, and then consider the rest of the Upway dates as fabrications.

Any thoughts?

7/14/2017 at 10:35 PM

The one that's obvious to me (as a start) is that Susannah Bates cannot have married John Taylor. His widow was Rhoda who remarried Walter Hoyt. (Let's not wear out the Hoyt name!)

So we need to set to an unknown 1st wife for Taylor - "Susannah Smith" - and move the Taylor children to her.

I undid the merges of your "work in progress" Simon Hoyt & Joan & made them MPs until ready for merging.

I'll look at the next generation next. I'd like to get very simple summaries into curator notes (child of ... married ...) if you can suggest them.

7/14/2017 at 10:38 PM

Oh & add suffix "of Upwey" & "of West Hatch" to make it easier to get the children with correct parents. I think most of the MPs are unlocked so they can be edited.

7/14/2017 at 10:59 PM

I added a "genealogy help needed" note to the profile for John Taylor , created a new MP Susannah Taylor & moved the Taylor children to her, so that clears that out of Hoyt way.

7/15/2017 at 12:38 AM

Mary St. John is not on your list of the children of Deborah Hoyte, of Upwey & Simon Hoyt of Upwey ?

7/15/2017 at 12:48 AM

OK, the 2nd generation from Upwey looks good to me. Ready to work on the children of Sgt. Maj. John Hoyt, of Amesbury ?

Private
7/15/2017 at 8:55 AM

Erica, you were busy. An issue with John Hoyt (Haight) and the Elizabeth Sherwood merged with the Elizabeth unknown. Sherwood is conflicted with Purdy and neither.

The best support for Simon Hoyt of Upwey comes from the descendants of Simon Hoyt of West Hatch. As the only recorded Simon Hoyt 1590s birth prior to the destruction of the Upwey records in 1831, he was their logical choice. They began to doubt when they realized the John Hoyt from Upwey and Amesbury was not their CT/NY ancestor and the spilt began by 1857. Originally, they determined the second wife Susannah had produced the second John Hoyt about 1630 in Charleston MA, still the belief of many. This and the DNA separation led me to have more confidence in the John Hoyt 1629 Broadwindsor baptism.

7/15/2017 at 11:44 AM

I have never been able to understand this one

Mary Hill and Mary Eliza Lyon

7/15/2017 at 12:15 PM

I see this match of duplicates

https://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000011656908661?to=600000001...

Elizabeth Hoyt has an interesting curator note which also doesn't match parents ?

7/15/2017 at 12:17 PM

And this one has a conflict note which looks like it was resolved ?

John Hoyt, of Dover

Private
7/15/2017 at 12:47 PM

I've been working with the Elizabeth Hoyt curator on resolving the conflict among Sherwood, Purdy, and unknown. I think Purdy has dropped out, but I need to re-find proof of Sherwood. It appears that no one else has yet provided concrete evidence of Sherwood.

If Mary Lyon's DNA doesn't match, what then?

Private
7/15/2017 at 12:57 PM

Conflict with Robert Bates 1620 vs. 1593. If Robert Bates had been born in 1620, not likely he could buy property at 16. I moved the kids to first wife unknown as they were born when Susannah was married to Simon Hoyt.

7/15/2017 at 3:26 PM

Re: If Mary Lyon's DNA doesn't match, what then?

We cut her loose as "parents unknown" until more evidence is known.

Private
7/15/2017 at 5:12 PM

Mary Hill
 in the U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current

Name: Mary Hill
Birth Date: 20 Sep 1635
Birth Place: Dorset, England
Death Date: 1692
Death Place: Simsbury, Hartford County, Connecticut, United States of America
Cemetery: Hop Meadow Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Simsbury, Hartford County, Connecticut
Spouse: Luke Hill
Children: Abigail Parmelee, Lydia Henbury, Tahan Hill
URL: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-...

Her name could be Hart, Hout, or Hoyt. Even if Hoyt, Simon wasn't in Dorset in 1635. However, Simon and Susannah's daughter Mary could have been a Hill of not a Lyon. Luke Hill is listed as buried in the same place. The Connecticut colony didn't exist in 1623, but could be Massachusetts in the 1630s.

Lots of Harts in Connecticut in the mid 1650s. Stephen, John, but with lots of records, no Mary that wasn't taken by someone else.

Private
7/15/2017 at 5:40 PM

Could be Mary Hout, the daughter of Rev Ephraim Hout

7/15/2017 at 9:41 PM

Too much "could be" for me! I made unknown parent placeholders

Walter Hoyt, of Upwey

We could put a link to Rev Ephraim Hout in the profile "about" for exploration. With that, the FindAGrave notes, and the possibility that Mary Lyon & Mary Hill have been historically exchanged, like body snatching, we're good enough for now.

I had disconnected Mary Hill before from Simon Hoyt, obviously I didn't believe it, & I was invested in the decision, because I have Hill ancestry (from Maine as it turns out, but the family story had been Connecticut).

7/16/2017 at 7:05 AM

These two profiles are the same person. Joan Stoodley had 5 sons and one daughter with Simon, Christopher before marriage.

It looks as though there are two Simon's also.

The unknown mistress was added to be the mother of Christopher but that is not necessary now.

He married Susannah and had 7 children.

A total of 14 children by two wives which is what Geni would show if the duplicates were correcte. This link: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~fesschequy/Hoyt.html shows the scenarios listed above with valid sources that most other sites do not have.

Let me know what you think.

Private
7/16/2017 at 9:07 AM

I have links and photos for the source data for some of the Hoyts. Is there a way to post photos? Seeing the original writing is pretty cool.

Also, I've spent the last couple of days researching the Haight line in Fishkill. The Haights have three or more books published on their genealogy, all showing the Upwey Simon's data. This does make some sense as the West Hatch Simon doesn't appear to have a birth record, so they went with the only Simon on record at the time. Some of the Haights were alive before the Upwey data was lost, so it might be reasonable to think it was not an elaborate fabrication, which is the basis for the two Simons.

If Jone Stoodley was really buried in Massachusetts, it would tighten up some of the dates and eliminate conflicting theories.

Some of the Simon Hoyt children have their dates and wives mixed. I moved the wives, but I can't fix the MPed dates.

Private
7/16/2017 at 9:14 AM

PS: Although the first Simon Hoyt in America was referred to as "Goodman," a title of low rank, the subsequent Hoyts and Haights were given more status as "Mr." and "Gentleman." They became families of means. Better than the Hoyts who entered the poorhouse in England. One daughter married into the Martha's Vineyard Nortons, striking it rich. However, their pass downs didn't quite make it to me. Sniff.

7/16/2017 at 9:47 AM

Best way is to save the pictures to your hard drive as .png or .jpg files (saved in download on your hard drive). Then go to the profile and click on the blank photo, add a photo from where you downloaded to your hard drive. If more than one picture, load all and Geni will select the first one as the profile picture. This may be changed if you desire.

If you are having trouble let me know the link and I will do that work for you.

Okay I will fix the MP'd dates. As long as we are using the same source links or documents.

Private
7/16/2017 at 11:09 AM

Just to stir the pot a bit, I found a John Smith born in Dorset and arrived in Charleston in the early 1630s and by 1643 had removed as far south as Barnstable. His occupation, ironmonger (that's a blacksmith).

7/16/2017 at 11:30 AM

I did add two photos of his wedding as a source document. Jone Stoodlie is recognized as Jane (Joan) as both were married 1617 and the parish record is also given.

7/16/2017 at 11:43 AM

Simon and his family were in New England early in 1629. He initially settled in Charlestown, removing to Dorchester by 1633, Scituate 1635, Windsor, by 1639, Fairfield by 1649, and finally Stamford by 1657.

What is puzzling is that if Simon married Jone, she died in England in 1634 and did not make the trip with him to America. That being said, Joan married him in 1617 and accompanied him to America. Jone would have been married to him for two years (date of marriage 1615). The question would be why Jone did not accompany him and the children.

7/16/2017 at 11:44 AM

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Hoyt-29

This speaks of both Jone and Joan.

Private
7/16/2017 at 12:41 PM

To continue from another source, "Rev. John Smith was recorded Jan 5, 1643 as one of the citizens of Barnstable in Plymouth Colony, which was colonized from Scituate." Although called Rev, he didn't start preaching until after he joined the church, which happened after he married in 1643. Before that, he was an ironmonger, as was his father and grandfather.

This doesn't prove he was Susannah's brother, but he was a Smith and he was a smith and he was in Scituate in the 1630s and he didn't get on the list of homeowners.

That being, and with "the Smiths. Goodman Hoit's brother." makes the claim of "no evidence" a bit suspect.

7/16/2017 at 1:11 PM

https://familysearch.org/photos/artifacts/21528055

Quite a few records were rejected.

Private
7/16/2017 at 1:14 PM

The source document for Jone Stoodlie clearly shows the word Jone, not Jane, for both the baptism in Broadwindsor and the marriage in Marshwood. In addition, the name Jone was common among the Stoodlie/Stoodley group, with at least three other Jone's living at the same time in the same place.

John's brother Giles also baptized a Jone Stoodley earlier. The only difference is if Giles had been Jone's father, the child more likely would have been Giles instead of John.

In reference to Broadwindsor vs. Marshwood, at least three of the Stoodleys baptized on Broadwindsor were married in Marshwood.

In reference to the Hoyt baptism, about 50 Stoodleys were recorded in this area, but John Hoyt was the first Hoyt child recorded at Broadwindsor. It gives the idea there were lots of Stoodleys and not lots of Hoyts.

Three other possibilities
Simon Stoodley of Hawkchurch is thought of as Jone's father, but with no baptism record found yet. Glies, as mentioned before, and a Jone Stowdley born in Burstock at the same time. The spelling are all unique, in that each church spelled the name the same: Broadwindsor Stoodlie, Marshwood, Stoodlie, and Burstock, Stowdley, possibly for the same people. An example is the specific line of Tristram Stoodleys, spelled differently depending on the church.

So, saying Jone Stoodlie, daughter of John Stoodlie, is simply the most likely of the possibilities. Giles would be the second most likely, the Burstock Stowley after that, and Simon last, simply because no record exists so far.

BTW, I have been corrected on John Hoyt. It seems the date comes first and the name second, so 12/25/1628 is the correct baptism date in Broadwindsor. This matches the 1629 departure date from Weymouth, as Broadwindsor is half way from West Hatch. Also, the Christmas baptism would be something for Jone's family, as they would not see any of them again.

Joan Hoyt has a burial recorded in 1630 in a Charleston, MA cemetery, but no headstone. Cemeteries keep good records and they don't fabricate dead people, but this would need to be verified, perhaps even on site only.

The Rev John Smith above is recorded as coming from Affpuddle, the same tiny town that Ruth Smith, the mother of the Upwey Simon Hoyt, came from. If the Upwey John Hoyt crossed with his uncle Nicholas Stoodley, John Smith may have traveled with them. This is just a possibility, but children didn't travel alone, families did, and only the elder of the family was recorded.

TMI?

Private
7/16/2017 at 1:16 PM

Should be Marshwood: Stoodley in the comment above.

7/16/2017 at 1:38 PM

Not too much information, it's interesting. One thought: iron monger was a super blacksmith, a skilled craftsman, and "also" a trader in the works produced by the forges. The Saugus & Taunton Iron Works were among the first Colonial factories; the Saugus iron works were staffed by the Scots Prisoners of War as serving out 7 year indentures. It was difficult to find skilled crafts people as foremen, there were several recruiting trips to London & Edinborough from the Saugus factor to find them.

7/16/2017 at 2:39 PM

No known marker for Jone/Jane Stoodlie. Therefore the findagrave listing may or may not be correct. Since no valid source documents found where either one of them is buried, that tends to invalidate most records showing where and when they died.

Showing 1-30 of 132 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion