Jean Jourdan, de Belle Etoile SV/PROG I - La Motte - who owned it?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Tuesday, July 11, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
7/11/2017 at 11:13 AM

Janine Jordaan says Good day everyone, I am doing research on the Jourdan family and was looking for history on the La Motte farm. Specifically, who owned the farm between 1688 and 1695. On the La Motte farm website (https://www.la-motte.com/about-us/heritage/) it states that the land was granted to a German immigrant named Hans Hattingh in 1695. Later purchased by Pierre Joubert in 1709, believed to have named it after his birthplace. There is no mention of the farm belonging to Jean Jourdan, de Belle Etoile SV/PROG I. On Jean Jourdan's profile it states he owned the farm La Motte, this must have been between 1688 and 1695? Would anyone be able to shed some light on this. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Private User responds: Hi Janine. I have found this link, which will hopefully clear up your question for you. http://malanbond.co.za/index.php/Geslagsregister1998H6 Hope it helps.
"Jacques Mallan, SV/PROG 's friend, Jean Jourdan, from the village Cabriéres d’Aigues, was also on board the Berg China. Jean was born in 1660 and married Isabeau le Long at the Cape in 1690. Isabeau was born in the village La Motte d’Aigues in 1668 and in all probability she was one of Jacques’s fellow passengers on board the Berg China. Initially Jacques probably farmed together with Pierre Jourdan and Jean Jourdan in Groot Drakenstein. Up to 1691 the three of them are listed as “compagnons” in the tax rolls ("opgaafrolle"), but as from 1692 their names are listed separately. After Jean Jourdan’s death in 1698 Jacques Malan married his widow, Isabeau le Long, in 1699. At the time Isabeau was already the mother of five children. Through his marriage with Isabeau Jacques gained ownership of La Motte in Olipants Hoek (the present Franschhoek). Jacques also acquired the farm De Faisantekraal at Vissershok as a result of his marriage to Isabeau.

Pretty much everything I can find puts Jourdan on La Motte in Oliphantshoek eg
eg http://huguenots-france.org/france/refuge/afrique_sud/embarques.htm - which has Joubert on La Provence in Oliphantshoek
But http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/RemarkableWriting/Pierre%20Jourdan%20... also points to Malan's ownership as well.

We also have Hans Heinrich Hattingh, SV/PROG We do have Hans Hattingh as owning La Motte in Franshoek too, and this note on that on the profile:
5. Die Hugenote van Suid Afrika 1688-1988- Pieter Coertzen. Bylae II P171: sic. Ligging:Franschoek (suid-oos van die dorp). Eienaar:Hiermee is daar probleme. Die plaas het aan Heinrich Hattingh behoort. Het dit voor hom aan Jean Jourdan behoort? Met Jourdan se dood (in 1699) word gesê dat La Motte aan hom behoort. Geen besonderhede in Akteskantoor nie.

Interesting to find out though - so keep us posted with your research, Janine.

7/11/2017 at 11:25 AM

Aso cf Pierre David Joubert, SV/PROG, on whose profile it says:
"Hy boer op verskeie plase, o.a. Lamotte (vernoem na sy geboorteplek) en Provence (vernoem na die provinsie vanwaar hy kom). Hy besit ook een van die eerste plase in die Tulbagh-kom, nl. De Plaisa x Waalse kerk, Brielle "
but also
"He received land in Oliphantshoek (now known as Franschhoek) in 1694. The letter of acknowledgement came only on the 11 May 1712. The farm he built is called La provence. He was very wealthy, through hardworking. The farms he owned were;- La Provence de Plaisante in *t Land van Waveren*(near Wolseley, on the Breederiver)which his son Pierre received in 1716. l'Ormarins(Franschhoek) Bellingham (Drakenstein) in 1700 La Roque in 1709"

7/11/2017 at 11:31 AM

So, conflicting caims from 1695-1698

1688 - 1692 Jourdan & Malan
1692 - 1698 Jourdan
1698 - Malan
1695 - Hans Hattingh
1709 - Pierre Joubert

Private
7/12/2017 at 12:43 AM

I would like to have Private User, head of the Hugenote Society in South Africa to also come in here. I am very sure that Private User have all the correct info.

Then we don't need to run around.

J

7/12/2017 at 12:50 AM

That would be fantastic!

Private User
7/12/2017 at 3:08 AM

n the book 'Cape Wine Homesteads' by Ted Hoefsloot and Cor Pama on page 66: La Motte. "The farm was granted in 1695 by Willem Adriaan van der Stel to Hans Heinrich Hattingh from Speyer in Germany..." A bit further on: "This La Motte should not be confused with another farm of that name in Simondium, granted in 1694 to Daniel Nortier, and still another one in Franschhoek, now usually called 'Bo La Motte', granted to Jacques Malan in 1694. Hattingh's farm was roughly half-way between them. Why three farms, so near to each other, should have been given the same name, is unfortunately not known."

Now we know the reason for the confusion: three farms with the same name in close proximity to one another. Somebody has to disentangle the histories... In the book mentioned above, Hoefsloot and Pama share some more about the La Motte of Hattingh but nothing about the other two.

7/12/2017 at 5:11 AM

That's useful, Chris:

La Motte
1695 - Hans Hattingh
1709 - Pierre Joubert

Franschhoek, now usually called 'Bo La Motte',
1694 Jacques Malan

Simondium La Motte
1694 Daniel Nortier

We're still short of the Jourdaan la Motte

7/12/2017 at 10:16 AM

Hi Sharon...I tried to attach a file via my email regarding the farm mystery..... I don't know if it worked. I'm very new at this Sorry...

7/12/2017 at 10:18 AM

No...don't think it did. I realise this might be a dumb question but.... how do I attach an email to this site?

7/12/2017 at 12:38 PM

Have messaged you

7/13/2017 at 3:32 AM

Janine has sent us a very informative booklet on the Huguenot farms - which I've uploaded to the Docs section of https://www.geni.com/projects/French-Huguenots-who-emigrated-to-Sou...

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion