Started by Private User on Monday, June 26, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 32 posts
Private User
6/26/2017 at 5:22 PM

There is no evidence to support that this Edward Harris was the son of a Capt Thomas Harris and Alice Frances West. There are absolutely no extant Charles City records that name any of the children of LT COL Thomas Harris. His 1677 Charles City probate only states that he had minor children that his 2nd wife Yvett gave up guardianship to. There is only one Virginia record of his wife Alice West (NO MIDDLE NAME of Frances) and that was her emigration record in 1635 at age 21. His father was NOT a Sir as the title was inherited by John's older brother Arthur Harris so his wife Dorothy was not titled Lady.

6/26/2017 at 5:35 PM

Gail Lonette Hunley please see Tom's note above. I've reverted your changes and locked the profiles.

The West's are popular in genealogy because there are supposed royal connections, and there were many of them, so we need to be extra careful to cite sources when we work with these families.

6/26/2017 at 6:44 PM

Ok thanks for locking it , sorry I picked this info up @ ancestry ... took it for face value .

There is conflicting information whether Alice West was mother of Thomas' children. Charles Terry in 1958 application for SAR indicates his family research shows that Alice West was the mother of Thomas Harris' son also named Thomas.

6/26/2017 at 8:40 PM

SAR applications reflect what the submitter believed. Review the profile notes in Thomas Harris, of Charles City profile, as far as I can see, the children were not named in any surviving records. Nor do we know if any survived to adulthood.

Gail which Harris line are you pursuing? As we've been learning, DNA testing is getting some more definite answers to these mysteries.

6/26/2017 at 8:52 PM

(sigh) I see I need to lock more relationships.

Mary Swann was the daughter of Robert Harris.

6/26/2017 at 9:27 PM

(repost for bad link)

I have a note Robert Harris, of Isle of Wight was the brother of Thomas of Charles City.

Is that correct?

If it is, where is he?

6/26/2017 at 9:34 PM

Do we know who the parents of Timothy Harris were?

I am now taking no chances of having to undo again and am locking. Curators can unlock as need be.

Private User
6/27/2017 at 7:38 AM

The Robert Harris who married Mary Jane Crump and died c1659 in Isle of Wight was probably the son of Sgt John Harris and Dorothy Calcott but there is not enough evidence to support this claim. I don't believe that he was the same Robert Harris of James City. Unfortunately he only had the two daughters so there is no male line of Harris from him to determine DNA.
NO, we do not know the parents of Timothy Harris. yDNA from his living male Harris descendants in Group 11 do not match that of Capt Thomas Harris of Jamestown in Group 8 or Maj Robert Harris d1701 in Group 6, or those of the Isle of Wight Harris lines. His Haplo Blood type matches that of Maj Robert Harris but marker values are too far apart but does not match that of Capt Thomas Harris or the Isle of Wight line so Timothy could have no common direct male Harris ancestor to them in recorded history, back thousands of years to when the Haplo Blood Groups were formed.

6/27/2017 at 11:11 AM

Very helpful, thank you. I've updated, and created the locked parent placeholder profile

Unknown Harris

6/27/2017 at 2:30 PM

Have you read

From Essex England to the Surry Southern USA

by: Robert E. Harris

Private User
6/27/2017 at 4:49 PM

Yes, I proofread the manuscript before it was published. I made several comments to Robert about his wrong first few generations that he took verbatim from John Boddie's 1954 'Historical Southern Families' without taking the time to research all of Boddie's claims. His comments were the he accepted all of Boddie's claims as true and only researched the named persons to find actual documents to add to what Boddie said, and that he did not have the time to go back and renumber all of the generations in the manuscript, though he did place a note on the bottom of page 13 stating other historians had problems with the children of Thomas Harris and Judith Edwards. The 1995 book published less than a year later entitled "The Five Thomas Harrises of Isle of Wight County Virginia" by the eminent professional genealogist John A Brayton clearly refutes these early few generations of Robert's book, mainly because many of the claims of Boddie and Robert have no documentation to prove them and that many of the Thomas Harris lines are clearly inaccurate. Robert did send me an autographed copy of his book, but it is entirely worthless to me as he and Boddie both entangled the Thomas Harris d1672 family into the unrelated Thomas Harris d1688, thoroughly mangling my actual line. DNA has proven conclusively that these two Thomas Harris were not related. Even the Brayton book states the Thomas Harris d1672 was not related to either the Crixie England Harris family or their descendants in Charles City. So yes, I have read Robert's book but all of the English royalty and their Charles City and first generation Isle of Wight families are incorrect and there is no proven link to those in Isle of Wight, except for Dorothy Harris Baker. Bond.

6/27/2017 at 5:04 PM

I suppose this could be one of the sources where a lot of misinformation has derived . I had a lot of faith that ancestry would be more accurate ( Ah! but the beat goes on !). Forgive me for hastily posting unproven misconceived profiles . I am sure there are plenty of them and few as trained as others to catch sure errors !
Bravo to you !

6/27/2017 at 5:31 PM

Also Tom would your Alice West by any chance be linked in any way to Sir Thomas West , 2nd Baraon de la Warr 7-09-1557 Sussex England? as some here on Geni have linked him to my mothers family linage .

Thanks Tom

Private User
6/27/2017 at 7:15 PM

No, but she was from Stourton, the manorial home of the royal West family from the 1400's. The Thomas West, 3rd Lord Delaware of Wherwell, Hampshire, England died at sea enroute to Virginia on 6 Jun 1618 near Nova Scotia and none of his family is proven to be in Virginia. Have never proven any relations for her in Virginia including the William West who was captured at the same time and place as Thomas Harris or his brother Henry West. The entry for her passage lists her as Alice West Harris from London in 1635 at age 21.

6/27/2017 at 8:31 PM

Thanks for taking your time out to review this for me .. I am adding info from Geni that links my mother to>

Thomas West, 2nd Baron de la Warr ias being MY 11th great grandfather.

Me :
Fannie Mae your mother

Sam Hall Mears
her father

Dillard Edward Mears
his father

his mother
Nancy Susanna mears

Charles Elkins
her father

Stacy Elkins
his mother

Martha Dillard
her mother

Elizabeth Anne Webb
her mother

Martin Martin, I
her father

Unity Susannah Martin (West)
his mother

Col. John West of West Point, Virginia
her father

Gov. John West of Virginia
his father

Thomas West, 2nd Baron de la Warr
his father

Ancestry.com also has Gov. John West (b) 12-14-1590 immigrated in 1619 (d) in 1659 as the son of Sir Thomas West 2nd Baron De le Warr ?

Thanks Tom .. seems to be more bad seeds than I could imagine I suppose I am very gullible. I was hopeful ancestry would help me unravel some of the tangled webs ..a bit disappointing to find otherwise .

Once again Thanks loads

6/27/2017 at 9:24 PM

I used the pushpin on your profile and then went to Lord de la Warr, and share this link

https://www.geni.com/path/Gail-Hunley+is+related+to+Thomas-West-2nd...

This gives the ability to "step through" every link and examine for accuracy.

Private User
6/28/2017 at 7:40 AM

In the first place there was no Thomas West born 9 Jul 1557 as you cited, only one born 9 Jul 1577 who was the son of Thomas West 1st Lord De La Ware and Anne Knollys. It was his younger brother John West that was born 15 Dec 1590 that was the governor.
His granddaughter Unity West is proven to have married a Capt William Dandridge, not a Martin. I descent from two of her siblings. The Susannah West came from a different family.

Private User
6/28/2017 at 11:02 AM

My mistake, it was a later Unity West that married Capt William Dandridge, but there are no records of John and Unity's daughter Unity having a middle name of Susannah so I would question the source of this name.

6/28/2017 at 3:55 PM

Erica , I have traced the profiles using ancestry.com . I am new to the ancestry program hoping ancestry would help solve some issues in my GENi linage . Here's what I got ..as most of the profiles here added were extensions merged in by other managers .

from ancestry search
Sir Knight Lord Thomas West ll
(b) 7-09-1557 Halner , Sussex England
(d) 3-24-1602 Wherwell, Hampshire England

(m)Lady Anne Knolly
(b)11-19-1553 Berkshire England
(d) 8-3-1608 Whiltshire , England.

Sir Knight Lord Thomas West ll was the son of :
William West Warbleton Sussex , England (1520) - (d)12-30-1595 North Hampshire England
Elizabeth Strange 1534- Sussex England (d) 1575 North Hampshire

son :
Governor John R. West (b) 12-14-1590 Testwood, Wiltshire England
(d) 3-1659 West Point King William VA

wife : Anne Claiborne (b) 1600 Hantsford England
(d) 4-10-1667 James City , Va
Their son:
Gov John West Jr 6-6-1632 York River ,New Kent, Va
(d) 11-15-1689 West Point, King William, Va
wife:
Ursula Unity Crowshaw (b) 2-08-1636 . West Point, King William, VA
daughter of Joseph Croshaw 1610 - 1667 Bruton Parish , York , VA, Elizabeth Yeardley 1619 Jamestown Va, -1667 Bruton , York , Va

(daughter of Gov, John West Jr & Ursula Crowshaw :
Ursula Unity West (b) 12-24-1658 West Point , King William , VA.
(d) 05-12-1705 Elsing Green, King William , VA.
(m) Capt.George Thomas Martin (b) 1656 New Kent , VA. (d) 6-09-1709 Ware, Gloucester, VA.
The curator of this profile is Erin Spiceland .

* Note Next.. although Martin Martin had a father named Thomas Martin it is not certain who this Thomas Martin was ? DNA testing has proven Martin Martin is from England and not Scotland .
The Curator of Martin Martin is Dan Cornett.
Also: Martin Martin's (b) is probably 2-10-1678 as suggested by curator (atop the MP page.).. Tammy Swingle Tucker.
{Martin Martin according to the 2-10-1678 (b) 3-20-1745 (d) St. Peters Parish Church, New Kent, VA
son of George Thomas Martin and Ursula Unity West , 1657-1708. }

GENi ....
(Their) son
Martin Martin l (b) 1665 Isle of Skye , Scotland ?
(d) St.s Peters Parish , New Kent Co. VA
(m) Sarah Ann Hix (b) 6-1682 Williamsburg ,VA
(d) 3-20-1745 St. Peters Parish, New Kent Co. VA

(their daughter)
Elizabeth Anne Webb 8-9-1708 New Kent Co, VA (d) 3-08-1805 Henrico Co. VA
(m) Merriweather Wenn Webb l (b) 4-20-1697 Henry Co , VA (d) 2-06-1774 Henry Co, VA.

(Their daughter)
Martha Dillard 1738 Henrico , VA (d) 1796 Erwin TN.
(m) Col. Thomas Dillard Jr.

(Their daughter)
Stacy Dillard Elkins (b) 1770 Culpepper Co, VA
(d) 1812 Pittsylvania , VA
(m) Gabriel Elkins 1 (b) 8-12-1755 Pittsylvania , VA (d)
1-5-1842 TX
(son)
Charles Elkins (b) 1793 N.C
(d) 1850 TN
(m) Sarah Dillard

(Their daughter) Nancy Susanna Elkins 1819 wife of James H. Mears (b) 1814 N.C
(their son) Dillard Edward Mears 4-1-1858 TN (d) 1-10-1944 TN.

I hope this can solve some of the confusion ? Thanks for your patience .

6/28/2017 at 4:00 PM

For me to help you need to post or describe the geni link that does not correlate with whatever ancestry tree you are looking at - and if the ancestry tree doesn't have references in that profile, it's a copy & paste job from someone else's tree, and not what anyone should be looking at except as a clue to the records.

Private User
6/28/2017 at 6:12 PM

The Ancestry.com data was taken from the Ray Garganus website by a multitude of Ancestry users and then copied to other Ancestry trees. The Garganus website is a hodge podge of material sent in by users of varying quality, mostly undocumented or without citations. The actual records on the wife of LT COL John West are conflicting as to whether there were two wives Unity and Ursala since no record has been found naming them as one wife Unity Ursala. There appears to be a gap in the birth dates of his children which could mean there were two wives. Have never been able to find his will dated 15 Nov 1689 and probated in Mar 1691/2. It must be out there someplace for the dates to be available.
When copying anything from an Ancestry tree, it is always wisest to research every claim in the original court records before one accepts the material copied as correct.
After all, there are 20,00+ Ancestry trees that claim royal parents for Capt Thomas Harris of Jamestown 1585-1658 that have been proven false since 1994. And half of those trees claim he had a son Robert Harris d1701 that married Mary Claiborne Rice, when DNA had proven they were not related more than 15 years ago.

6/28/2017 at 6:45 PM

Martin Martin, I

The birthdate given for Martin Martin in this profile is 1665 Isle of Skye, Scotland , his father is stated to be Captian George Thomas Martin who married Unity West the daughter of Col. John West of West Point VA. who would be the grandson of ....
Sir Knight Lord Thomas West ll .

The Martin Martin 1665 in Scotland is the son of Thomas Martin 1640-1738 and Rebecca Higgins 1640-1738 .

Thomas West, 2nd Baron de la Warr

Tammy Swingle Tucker the curator of the MP of Martin Martin states the birth date for Martin as probably 2-10-1678 which I think is more accurate according to profile's I viewed @ ancestry.com. which say Martin Martin 1678 was the son of Capt George Thomas Martin and Ursula Unity West

Thanks Erica for helping .

Martin Martin (B) 2-10-1678 Va ..(d) St. Peters Church New Kent , VA.

6/28/2017 at 6:53 PM

sorry Erica the links to those profiles didn't show up on previous posts .

6/28/2017 at 6:54 PM

Gail, they are curated profiles from my colleagues. If you are unable to correct the date / location yourself - have you tried? Then use contact manager from the profile from Martin Martin, I suggesting the change. Glad you spotted the date error.

6/28/2017 at 6:59 PM

Oh, and the parent change. I do think you're likely correct on this, but I'm not nearly as familiar with the line as the curators of it are.

7/10/2017 at 5:19 PM

Greetings again Tom King .. have you seen at least a copy of the Thomas Harris will that names his 2 sons ? the one you mentioned

"will dated 15 Nov 1689 and probated in Mar 1691/2. It must be out there someplace for the dates to be available."

Private User
7/10/2017 at 5:53 PM

There is no Thomas Harris that I am aware of that has those will and probate dates, and none in Isle of Wight where these two brothers lived..

Private User
7/10/2017 at 7:12 PM

The will that I mentioned with those dates is the one of Col John West, not for a Thomas Harris. And no, TMK, I have never seen it.

7/10/2017 at 7:41 PM

My mistake Tom .. sorry. thank you for bearing with me .

Have you ever seen a copy of

The will of Thomas Harris(b)England 1614 will dated 3-30-1672 Isle Of Wight
that mentions his wife Alice and two sons Thomas and John ? .

7/10/2017 at 7:50 PM

Will of Thomas Harris: Names 2 sons John and Thomas, wife Alice; names Major Nicholas Hill and John Jennings,dau, Mary and other children. Dated 30 March, 1672-proved 24 Oct;1672.
Marriage contract of Alice Harris in favor of her 5 children by Thomas H, with John Sojorner, 1673.

Showing 1-30 of 32 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion