Stephen Hopkins, "Mayflower" Passenger - Stephen Hopkins = Stephano in The Tempest

Started by Erica Howton on Monday, June 12, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 17 posts
6/15/2017 at 9:43 AM

Wonderful read! Thank you, Erica!

Private User
6/15/2017 at 10:35 AM

So we can add "Stephen Hopkins" to the short list of Jamestown/Plimoth commuters. :-D

One minor point: people generally assume that Squanto's tribe was wiped out by "smallpox" - probably because it *is* what decimated the Aztecs and the Incas - but the symptoms as described, plus the fact that Squanto contracted the disease himself and died of it long after smallpox should have been inactive, are more in line with leptospirosis. *That* would have been introduced by rats/mice off any ships that happened to visit the neighborhood, and would hang around as long as the rats/mice did - or possibly longer, as it might have infected some of the native critters (e.g. squirrels).

https://www.cdc.gov/leptospirosis/index.html

6/15/2017 at 1:02 PM

Patricia Ann Scoggin check out this link!

Private User that's a fascinating historical tidbit. Intuitively makes sense to me (particularly the Squirrel Story) - and given the fishing boats going from Europe to Maine years before the Mayflower, makes a disease spread by 1620 to Cape Cod more sensible. Do you have more on it?

6/15/2017 at 1:03 PM

I wonder how Stephen felt about having been declared dead & having to find his kids back in England.

Private User
6/15/2017 at 1:24 PM
6/15/2017 at 1:45 PM

Cranberries ...

6/15/2017 at 2:26 PM

Erica Howton
Do you want leptospirosis for a COD portal condition??? If so I will have to do some research.

6/15/2017 at 2:58 PM

It's a thought, but we would need to have more geni profiles than the one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squanto (I can't even find on Geni)

6/15/2017 at 4:35 PM

Erica Howton
Well, I have info ready to go for a project on Leptospirosis, but the only person I found by name was: Andrew John “Andy” Holmes (1959-2010) - British rower (Wells disease) [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Holmes Wikipedia - Andy Holmes] & I don't think he is in Geni either!!!

Here are some Leptospirosis statistics:
* It is estimated that there were annually 1.03 million cases (95% CI 434,000-1,750,000) and 58,900 deaths (95% CI 23,800-95,900) due to leptospirosis worldwide.
* A large proportion of cases (48%, 95% CI 40-61%) and deaths (42%, 95% CI 34-53%) were estimated to occur in adult males with age of 20-49 years.
* Highest estimates of disease morbidity and mortality were observed in GBD regions of South and Southeast Asia, Oceania, Caribbean, Andean, Central, and Tropical Latin America, and East Sub-Saharan Africa.
The global burden of a tropical disease known as leptospirosis is far greater than previously estimated, resulting in more than 1 million new infections and nearly 59,000 deaths annually, a new international study has found led by the Yale School of Public Health.

Erica, let me know if you want me to proceed with a project for it. Don't know if the above helps with the decision or not... Does anyone else have feelings about a project for this condition (pos OR neg)???

First Last
6/16/2017 at 9:01 AM

I agree--great review of Stephen of the Mayflower.

After reviewing the ages of the people in question in the fifth paragraph others have determined that it's unlikely that the William Hopkins who married Constance on 16 April 1592 (the widow of Reynold Marline) was the son of John Hopkins and Agnes Borrow/e of Upper Clatford.

It's an error that Elizabeth Williams would have been William's mother since he was bapt 16 June 1575 and John and Elizabeth didn't get married until 28 July 1579.
His bapt is here on Ancestry:
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1351&am...

Constance (the widow Marline) brought two sons into the marriage and William of Upper Clatford would have only been 17 at the time of her remarriage. People are questioning the age difference. There is no evidence that the William who married Constance was half-brother to Stephen of the Mayflower. Caleb Johnson proposes he might have been an uncle in his book Here Shall I Die Ashore, page 25. (clips from the book here: http://tinyurl.com/Johnson-Book )

We know nothing of Stephen Hopkins' half-siblings (William and Alice) and full-sibling (Susanna) after their baptisms. Alice didn't marry a Gilbert and Susanna didn't marry William White.

Shirley

6/16/2017 at 9:16 PM

Patricia Ann Scoggin re: Leptospirosis

I don't think a cause of death project dedicated to it is warranted without profiles. But the information should be added to the Infectious Diseases portal - it's a useful historical tidbit.

6/16/2017 at 9:40 PM

Erica Howton
Should I go ahead & create the project & add it to the Infectious Diseases project with a link it to it??? Right now it is about 3 pages long... (after the name it could have "info only"

Maybe put a Note at the top of the project to notify you/me if someone has a profile that would qualify it for the COD portal so it could be added there???

There are many names for it that would be listed in the "Tags":
* Leptospirosis has many different names including: "7-day fever", "harvest fever", "field fever", "canefield fever", "mild fever", "rat catcher's yellows", "Fort Bragg fever", and "pretibial fever", “Icterohemorrhagic fever”, “Swineherd's disease”, “Rice-field fever”, “Cane-cutter fever”, “Swamp fever”, ”Mud fever”, “Hemorrhagic jaundice”, “Stuttgart disease”, “Canicola fever”.
* It has historically been known as "black jaundice"". “Weil's disease” or “Weil's syndrome” is also known as “spirochaetosis icterohaemorrhagica”.
* In ancient China, a disease that was certainly leptospirosis was recognized as an occupational hazard of rice harvesters.
* In Japan, leptospirosis was called akiyami, or autumn fever, a term still used for this disease. It was also known as "nanukayami fever"

6/16/2017 at 11:57 PM

I'd still not create a project unless there are profiles for it.

6/17/2017 at 2:36 AM

Erica Howton
I think I will put a question about the condition in the "Medically Related" discussion & see if anyone may know of someone with the condition... There are enough different names for it that there may be people/profiles that will justify a project for it...

Private User
6/20/2017 at 9:57 PM

How fascinating! My husband's paternal line comes through Stephen Hopkins.

Private User
9/10/2017 at 8:38 AM

Stephen Hopkins is my seventh great grandfather.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion