Margaret Houston (Shaw) - Who is this Margaret?

Started by James Paul Clinch on Monday, June 12, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 8 posts
6/12/2017 at 1:39 PM

Trying to figure this out. This Margaret cannot have died at 122 years old. There is someone missing in between. Is the Margaret (Shaw) Houston married to Hugh Houston different from the Lady Margaret (Shaw) Houston married to Sir John Houston, 3rd Baronet Houston? Or, are they the same woman with Hugh being the first husband who dies and Sir John being her second?

6/12/2017 at 2:31 PM

Sir John Houston of that Ilk, Baronet has notes

"Sir John Houston, Baronet [S. 1668], of Houston, s. and h. ; was M.P. for Linlithgowshire (three Paris.), 1708-15 ; Commissary of Glasgow ; suc. to the Baronetcy in Dec. 1717. He m. Margaret, da. of Sir John Shaw, 2d Baronet [S. 1687], of Greenock, by Margaret, da. of Sir Thomas Nicolson, 2d Baronet [S. 1637] of Carnock. He d. 11 Feb. 1722, " in the flower of his age," leaving his estate burdened with some 200,000 debt. His widow d. (a year before her son) 29 Jan. 1750."

-----

His wife Dame Margaret Shaw has been separated out.

The wife of Hugh Houston needs her parents examined for accuracy, and the birth date is of course incorrect.

6/12/2017 at 8:27 PM

I've completed merging duplicate profiles for the first couple of generations in America. An alternate wife for John Houston named Sarah emerged, and differing dates / locations under "unresolved data conflicts."

Sources to support this Hugh needed. I know it's Scotch Irish and records may be non existent from the Ulster Plantation, but I believe if the managers & descendants help, we can get a bit more fleshed out.

6/13/2017 at 3:37 AM

Hello. I will share my sources gladly for US lines in a post shortly. My short term goal is to find a common ancestor for the Houston line that migrated to America and the Shaw baronetcy. We will be visiting Scotland in a few weeks and will be meeting some members of the Shaw Stewart line, connected to the Houstons by marriage of Lady Margaret and Sir John's daughter Helen (or Helenor) to Sir Michael Stewart who inherited through her the Shaw baronetcy and changed his family name to Shaw Stewart around 1750ish.

6/13/2017 at 3:39 AM

Shaws and Houstone were neighbors and friends, and there are many intermarriages in Scotland and in Ulster, at Castle Craig, Antrim.

6/13/2017 at 10:26 AM

We have some more Geni tree work to do!

7/14/2017 at 7:07 AM

Check out the photos I added from Ardgowan Estate in Inverkip. Bobbie and I met Sir Ludovic Houston Shaw-Stewart, 12th Baronet of Greenock and Blachall, and his mother Lady Lucinda. Absolutely delightful folks. I'm so impressed with "Ludo," who has left his career to move back and attempt to maintain and develop the estate. Check out their new business venture here https://www.facebook.com/ArdgowanDistillery/

As you can tell by Ludo's paint-splattered clothes, being a baronet is not always as glamorous as one might think! A 13-bedroom manor house is the ultimate "fixer-upper" and this young man is doing a great job.

7/15/2017 at 5:20 PM

Hey they found their house plans in America!

http://britishart.yale.edu

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion