NN moður Kaðlins Rollo´s first wife or concubine (Gudrodsdottir) - Clarification

Started by Alex Moes on Monday, May 29, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 5 posts
5/29/2017 at 4:56 PM

This profile needs some attention, perhaps due to merging?

NN moður Kaðlins Rollo´s first wife or concubine (Gudrodsdottir)
French: Ermina De Heidmark (D'Avranches)

The Default name is long and unwieldy, I would change name to N.N. then set Display Name to "Kaðlin's Mother" or "Kaðlin's Mother, Rollo's first partner". The very specific name in the French fields suggests a bad merge between Kaðlin's mother and Gerberge's mother.

Birth: circa 862 Scotland
Death: 935 (69-77) Scotland
Place of Burial: Scotland

Dates and locations are quite specific for someone that we don't even know the name of. The About actually states that she might have been Icelandic, so either the About needs rewriting or the location fields need to be cleared and Locked.

The ABOUT states:

The unknown mother of Kaðlin (Kathline), perhaps from Scotland or maybe Iceland.
It is possible that Gangu-Hrólfr had a daughter from his time in Scotland or Iceland.

Does this mean that we don't even know if Rollo had a daughter named Kadlin? Reading the About of Kaðlin clarifies things a little except that the translated quote from Landnamabok is almost unintelligible, then there are the conflicting opinions of users where on clearly believes Kadlinis Rollo's daughter and the other doesn't, then a block quote from the Peerage stating that Kadlin's mother is Poppa. So rather than clarify the issue it's actually just another profile that needs attention.

If i get the time i'll look for a better translation of the Landnamabok passage, even if she is mentioned in Landnamabok it doesn't not necessarily mean she was from Iceland or even that she ever even went there.

Private User
5/30/2017 at 6:32 AM

@Alex Moes She has been listed as NN (unknown) for centuries and this "Gudrodsdottir" is not known to us here in Iceland. For some reasons I can't access the "revision" part in her profile. Kaðlín (... Caithlin..) as she is called in the Icelandic language is for sure from Scotland and so is her mother NN and therefore can't have been here in Iceland.

Further more - Nidbjorg was a captive of the Chieftain Helgi Ottarsson after a raid Helgi did in Scotland. Helgi was the father of Osvifur "the wise" and gave Nidbjorg to his son Osvifur and that his how Nidbjorg came to Iceland. Not by her own free will - she was a captive - simple as that - and everyone knows what happened to women who were captured and sent into slavery in those days (rich or poor). There was no way back...

Private User
5/30/2017 at 6:51 AM

@Alex Moes for your information the name "Nidbjorg" is an old Nordic name and the meaning is "Nid=kinsman or a relative" and "Bjorg or Borg=something strong or something that rescues". And why would someone of a Scottish origin in the Middle ages be naming their children Nordic names unless their roots where from a Nordic origin?

I am even starting to question my self whether "NN's" name was indeed Nidbjörg or NÍÐBJÖRG as it would be written in those days.

2/7/2020 at 10:19 PM

Yes we know Rollo had a daughter Kadlin. Wikipedia now has a second source for her from the Irish An Banshenchas as Cadlinar. There was a clan led by powerful lay priests in upper Ireland and Northwest, Scotland. King Bjolan "Beolan", with probably a Celtic mother, became the King of that clan. After him they became the O'Beolan hereditary lay Abbots of Applecross (Wester Ross or North Argyll) and from the new Irish source, the King of South Lagor (Brega) as well. Brega is in the same Irish county as the Hill of Tarah.

2/22/2020 at 11:39 PM

Probably so.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion