Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 57 posts
5/26/2017 at 10:56 PM

#45 Jan Hendricksz.
I doubt we will ever identify Jan given such a nondescript name he just blends in.

5/26/2017 at 10:56 PM

#76 Isaacq Constrict
Is Constrict a name? A typo? I've not had any success. Constrict doesn't show up in any of the databases i've checked.

5/27/2017 at 5:48 PM

#60 Alexander Hulter

The note (from MvB?) "probably the relative of the first husband to Jero. Ebbingh's wife ~ well-connected with a DWIC share-holder." leads to Johanna de Laet the widow of Johannes de Hulter but no immediate family named Alexander (nor is it a particularly Dutch name, if i do say so myself).

Having said that i did find an Alexander den Huijver baptising a daughter in Amsterdam in 1712.

Map of the county Buren, Atlas Maior 1665 © Wikimedia Commons, PDM
Private User
5/28/2017 at 4:22 AM

Thanks for this review. I will be getting back to this topic soon.

Map of the county Buren, Atlas Maior 1665 © Wikimedia Commons, PDM
Private User
5/28/2017 at 4:30 AM

just found this book:
From Privileges to Rights: Work and Politics in Colonial New York City
by Simon Middleton
University of Pennsylvania Press, Feb 3, 2006 - Business & Economics - 306 pages

page 51 my be of some interest in our examination of the Castello Plan
https://books.google.com/books?id=MgSDmv-38wwC&pg=PA51&lpg=...

Private User
7/8/2019 at 9:43 AM

How do you add a profile to the project? This one, and maybe others, are not associated yet.

Hendrick Albertus Bosch

Private User
7/8/2019 at 10:06 AM

This profile (number 46) needs to be detached from the project. It's obviously a conflation of identities, so at the moment, it doesn't provide any reliable information to genealogists.

Hendrick Willemsz Hendricksen

7/8/2019 at 3:36 PM

This is the basic method for adding a profile to a project https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/articles/229705887-How-can-I-add-pro...

7/8/2019 at 4:00 PM

I've undone a merge from 2016 on Hendrick Hendrickson, Sr. The profile is still rubbish but it is a start. According to http://mydruthers.com/Geneology/Mattecheck/Hendrickson.html#1952 Hendrick and Jane have a son named Hendrick who marries Helen Cortelyou. So Helen needs to be disconnected from HH Snr, possibly connected instead to his son, but maybe a different HH altogether.

Private User
7/9/2019 at 2:39 AM

Thanks!

There are many men named Hendrick Hendricksen in New Netherland at that time. I am doing research on them right now because one of them is my ancestor. I am not done entangling all the identities yet.

It's actually the first time that I read about this one. This is an unsourced site, though, and sometimes, the info given on such site is just non-sense, so the safest thing to say is that I don't have any opinion right now. :-) (But it's weird that I haven't seen a mention of this identity anywhere.)

Private User
7/9/2019 at 2:46 AM

I just did a quick Internet search. They seem to have done some good research on this other genealogy site. It looks like this family is dropping the use of patronymics very early on, if the contributors are right.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Willemsz-28

Private User
7/9/2019 at 2:54 AM

But they can't be entirely right, because there is no way that one man could bear the surnames Willemsz aka Hendrickson if his father's first name is Daniel. Even under the influence of the large number of English settlers, usage wouldn't evolve that way.

Regarding our project, I lean towards one of the Hendrick Hendricksen Kips. The Kip family was far more notable than any other of these potential families. It's weird that only one of these Kips (senior or junior) signed the Remonstrance, especially since Isaac and Jacob Kip also signed. But well, that's not a proof. People are entitle to a difference of opinion within a family unit.

Unless there a surviving copy of the original signatures, we'll never know. Based on the wording of O'Callaghan's historical manuscripts, the original was lost, and Stuyvesant couldn't provide it to the authorities, so at least one copy was provided. I'm guessing that a clerk wrote the names down, although that's a bit confusing, because the copy indicates where someone made his mark instead of signing.

Private User
7/9/2019 at 4:19 AM

Alex: do you have the authorization required to merge this Hendrick

Hendrick Hendricksen Obe

with this one?

Hendrick Hendricksen Obe

That second identity is just wrong. A person with those dates of births and death, father of the first Hendrick Obe, never existed.

Private User
7/9/2019 at 4:22 AM

Same thing with Hendrick Hendricksen Obe's mother. That's not his mother; it's his second wife.

Private User
7/9/2019 at 5:00 AM

About the various men named Hendrick Hendricksen: up to now, I have 8 to 11 different men called Hendrick Hendricksen, all of whom lived in New Netherland in the mid-1600s.

- None of them are a father of Hendrick Hendricksen "Obe," the one who signed the Remonstrance.
- I am not convinced that the conflated identities mentioned above have anything to do with these early settlers. I have seen a lot of cases where people just find a record naming a Hendrick Hendricksen, and they just decide that it's person A, B, or C, basically the one they are researching, without looking into any of the other men with the same first name and patronymic. There were more men with this name combination that seem to have come to the Province of New York later, which makes them look younger, but they could just be new arrivals after the Dutch surrender.
- Some of these men (early settlers) are notable and left a lot of records. Others, not so much, and since there are many of those regular Joes, it's hard to know for sure if one record belongs to this person, or that person, without doing in-depth research about each and every one of them. When I look at those confused identities with multiple patronymics, I find it hard to believe that these genealogists did any research at all. That makes their "results" unreliable.

7/9/2019 at 5:40 AM

My early impression is that Hendrik Willemsz was probably the son of "Willem Somebody" and that his current "father" Daniel Hendrikson is a conflation of his own son (who's patronym would correctly be Hendrikson). It looks entirely possible that with the institution of surnames Hendrikson was adopted as the family name and has been transposed back onto Hendrik himself, hence "Hendrik Hendrikson"

7/9/2019 at 5:46 AM

We are cross posting, i feel the same as you. "Odd" patronyms and double patronyms are huge red flags to me but many builders of family trees have no real depth of understanding.

7/9/2019 at 5:52 AM

I merged Obee and his wife but no idea which dates are correct for him.

7/9/2019 at 5:58 AM

I had a quick look at the project again, there's 93 names on the remonstrance but 96 profiles linked to the project. Stuyvesant himself would not be a signatory but he is linked to the project so that leaves us with 2 additional profiles linked who should not be .

Private User
7/9/2019 at 6:35 AM

Hendrick Hendricksen Obe died after July 8, 1683. See Discussions.

As for how many signers there are, you can find reliable transcripts of the Copy of the 1664 Remonstrance in the following sources.

Edmund Bailey O'Callaghan, 'History of New Netherland; or, New York under the Dutch', vol. 2.
Edmund Bailey O'Callaghan and Berthold Fernow, editors, 'Documents Relative to the Colonial History of the State of New-York; Procured in Holland, England and France', vol. 2.

Private User
7/9/2019 at 6:36 AM

I just checked the edition of The Record quote on Wikitree. There was patriarch named Hendrick Hendrickson in that family. It's a fictitious person. The Wikitree curators should have deleted those theories instead of letting them sit there.

7/9/2019 at 6:37 AM

I don't need a reliable transcript, we already have that, I need to go thru the list of 96 profiles connected to the project to find who the 2 additional profiles are.

Private User
7/9/2019 at 6:37 AM

Oh, and thanks for merging the duplicates!

Private User
7/9/2019 at 6:38 AM

That is weird. I didn't spot the extras.

Private User
7/9/2019 at 6:50 AM

Oh, Alex! I think I know what the problem might be. Profiles must have been associated to the project by mistake before and weren't unliked.

Since I went through all the hyperlinks yesterday, I can tell you that all the persons hyperlinked on the project page appear to be correct, except the ones that I pointed out of course, which you seem to have fixed.

So, the 3 extra men are not in bold in the text of the project. They are just piggy-backing.

7/9/2019 at 7:37 AM

Top right of the project page there is a statistics box which includes "project Profiles 96" further down on the right hand side is a list of about 6 profiles with "show all" below it. Both of those phrases are hyperlinks to the list of 96 profiles which have been tagged to this project.

The names that are hyperlinked in the text of the project have been done manually (mostly by Michael and myself).

Given that there are 93 names but 95 profiles (96-Pete) means that 2 profiles have been added but the only way to work out the extras will be to get up the profile list on one side of the screen and the project text on the other and go thru one by one, actually i'll probably export both lists to excel and then sort alphabetically as that will be easier to correlate, not today tho and i'll probably forget about it tomorrow :)

Private User
7/9/2019 at 8:03 AM

This one looks wrong. I never heard of him.

Augustine Herman

Private User
7/9/2019 at 8:08 AM

Also, keep in mind that some of the men are still unidentified, so there are more than two extras.

Private User
7/9/2019 at 8:11 AM

This one also looks wrong.
Jacob Hugens de Hoghe

Private User
7/9/2019 at 8:13 AM

This one is also an unknown entity to me.
Frederick Gysbertse van den Bergh

Showing 1-30 of 57 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion