Cocacoeske (Powhatan) of Totopotomoi, of the Pamunky - @Jane West

Started by LouAnn Haddock on Monday, May 22, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
5/22/2017 at 6:03 PM

Teasing out correct information on my ancestor Jane West. The resources I have accessed to date indicates that Jane West married John Footman around 1685. I am at a loss as to whether she is properly labeled and placed. In some of my reading, I found a reference to Unity Crowshaw West caring for Thomas Rolfe's daughter, Jane. This is a new clue for me, so wondering if anyone else has this issue? I would be especially thankful for nay suggestions or guidance.

Private User
7/17/2017 at 9:14 AM

http://home.earthlink.net/~paws22/pow.htm#i1068b adding source on history section.

Private User
7/17/2017 at 9:16 AM

Hello LouAnn. About Jane West - see the other Discussion in this group, de la Warr line disproved on male side with ydna and intake on Rachel Croshow line mtdna SNP group study ongoing within FTDNA.

Private User
7/27/2017 at 10:54 AM

"If you study the Pamunkey matrilineal succession that determined the rulers of the Federation, it would be highly unlikely that Totopotomoi could have been a son of Necotowance. Since Cockacoeske was later the ruler of the Federation in her own right, not because she was Totopotomoi's widow, and is known to have been Opechancanough's GRANDdaughter, it follows that "she" was Necotowance's daughter, by his traditional wife of the matrilineal succession." ~ ~ ~ ~Bill Devo, PATAWOMECK TRIBAL HISTORIAN, emailed statement July 27, 20117 Email from today.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion