Geni consistency & plausibility checker

Started by Private User on Saturday, April 29, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-90 of 503 posts

Thank you Jeff for this wonderful new version of the tools integrated directly into Geni!

Consistency checker doesn't seem to understand negative numbers - dates BC. See for example Julius Caesar, Roman Dictator

Private User, absolutely love the consistency checker.

Is it possible/plausible to add in xxx contains data conflicts?

I know that you can get to it via the menu but I think more would be fixed if they were more visible

Thanks all, I'll work on fixing those date issues.

Leanne, there would be some limitations with adding that as an option. It would only work in profile view and only the profile you're viewing. That's because it's not available via the API, so it would just be looking at the page code and seeing that it's in the menu, then making an alert based on that. Would that still be useful?

Jeff,

Any change it could be added to the API?

Jeff,

Thanks very much for this version. It is a great tool.

On the incomplete dates, such as "Jan 20"... I've wrote something to handle this, but as an FYI it will assume that format is a day. So if you just have a Month and Numeric, years 1-31 will be considered days of the month and not years. So Jan 20 is January 20th, not January 20AD. If it's just the year or if it's day month and year, it will be uneffected, but if it's just a month and year, years 1AD through 31AD will not work.

Jeff, I think anything that can make the data conflicts more visible would be a benefit. For myself, even though I fix data conflicts all the time, I still don't think to go into the menu to check for them each time I go onto a profile.

4.0.4 is out the door. Should fix BC dates, dates without years, comparison with multiple parent sets, and a couple other tweaks.

Private User, Thoughts on a API flag for when a profile has Data Conflicts?

Jeff - would it be possible to think about relationship checks? The biggest issue I run into is wife = mother. Sibling marriages are seen often enough by mistake (actual wife has same name as sister, an easy mis merge).

Yes, that would be an easy one.

I just love this tool - thank you!!!

Private User it's expensive to generate, so you have to ask for it specifically.

https://www.geni.com/api/profile?fields=name,data_conflict

Thanks Scott :)

Private User, double check this profile:

Private

When running smartcopy consistency checker it gives an error saying that the birth date is after the death date. When looking to the profile I found that the date is wrongly included as no month has been included.

I suggest to include the following logic:

- Give a warning on the profile having this case, no month but the day of a date is included. Whatever the date of the profile.
- When checking, include an specific warning for this profile and maybe only use the date as "circa".

I will keep the profile unchanged to allow you debugging, just let me know when you do not longer needed to update it properly.

I'm looking at rewritting a good bit of code on how I query this, not only for the date thing but also Erica's request. I do some things on the backend, which I had written for the purpose of SmartCopy copying, but which don't work well for consistency checking. For example, on the back end I change the date to a single field, which makes it easy for viewing when doing the side by side comparison. But in doing so, I lose the ability of fields for day, month, year. This make take a little time to work out as I have to rewrite the code that processes Geni's return.

If you want to keep the capability to compare easily you can use the date as a number, and actually compare the difference in days

Is it possible/plausible to add more to the consistency checker?

Incorrect use of titles and suffices.
- Titles such as son, wife, spouse, mrs, mr, partner, ex-partner, grandmother, grandfather, mr., mrs., husband, daughter
- Suffixes such as mr, mrs, mr., mrs.

Sorry found some more titles - step-son, stepson, step-daughter, stepdaughter

Hi Jeff,
Is it possible to change the births of siblings from 9 months to 8 months as children can come earlier than 9 months.

Still some trouble with date parsing in 4.0.4.

The checker flags this guy as being > 125 years:

https://www.geni.com/profile/edit_basics/6000000046562214900

His birth is 8/1961 and his death is 10/2002.

Leanne M (Volunteer Curator - Australia) - on walkabout🇦🇺 and Private User

Just thinking about babies who are born even earlier - say 7 months and survive.

Harald Tveit Alvestrand, that should be resolved in the next version, but that is one that it's going to give an info warning on because the 8 is actually a day, not a month. Geni might have a bug here. Mike Stangel, the edit screen shows "August, 1961" for Sven Georg Axelsen but the API is actually returning the day as 8 with no month. {day: 8, year: 1961, formatted_date: "8, 1961"}

Should I be treat it differently assuming it's a month in these instances where there is a day but no month?

re: days less than 13.

Ambiguous data. If the original text string was unambigous (e.g. Aug 1961), then it can (&should) be assigned as month=8. If original text was something such as "8/1961" ... that's ambiguous and the best that can be done is to be consistent about the interpretation (on both input and outputs).

Geni is not ambiguous about it though, they have 8 as the day.

... even if entered as Aug, 1961? If so, that's an issue to be fixed.

I don't know how it was entered, bit I expect using another method like 08-1961 for someone formatted with MM-DD-YYYY. However it happened, the database has 8 as the day, but on the edit screen, it says August.

Showing 61-90 of 503 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion