Geni consistency & plausibility checker

Started by Private User on Saturday, April 29, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 481-503 of 503 posts

Since Bartrum himself uses NN, the Welsh tree comfortably uses it. Though I write it N.N., as then it doesn’t get changed to Nn when the capital checking software runs through.

I usually write it as Nn because ink is expensive and I cannot afford all the ..'s I also find that this way saves my laptop's battery power as I do not have to convert all the NN's to Nn's.

lol

Department of wishlists:
When using SmartCopy and not checking everything, I frequently get the name-at-birth entered as "Born XXX" rather than just "XXX" (or, when copying from Norwegian, "Født XXX").

In an ideal world, I would want these removed on copy; in the world we live in (and because I have made this error a TON of times), I'd be happy to have them flagged as errors on the same level as "double space".

also adding to wishlist, "create rule" where we can assign a specific action to the tree

e.g i want to change the spelling of all profiles in the tree to the correct spelling

i.e Acuna to Acuña,

If we're wishing on stars I'd like an option similar to the Fix Case flag that is case sensitive which identies profiles starting "Van" and offers to change them to "van".

Alex, yes that would be nice, but you would have to be careful with Belgium names, because they do spell it with uppercase.

Well from what my uncle used to tell me about Belgians I don't think we need to worry about them too much ;)

Don't let them hear that

It's over a year since anyone contributed to this discussion.
Has it moved elsewhere?
I ask because I have what I think would be a great suggestion.

Jim Henderson,
Best to post it here. Often discussions get quit, and then revived. :-p

I think it would be great for the consistency checkers (both the all-Geni one and the SmartCopy one) to flag profiles that have more than one Y-DNA value or Mt value.

I realise that the value from one descendant could be from a more generic test and the value from a different descendant from a more specific test, and so the values shown in the profile would be different, but not incorrect. Just like John T Henderson could be the same person as John Thomas Henderson. So the ideal would be for the consistency checker to have enough knowledge about DNA to recognise the situation where different values could legitimately refer to the same person, and so not raise a flag.

If this knowledge would be too difficult to build into the algorithm or too expensive to keep up-to-date as DNA studies progress, then at least a note like "There may be fiction in the family line from this profile to the people whose DNA was tested, but check carefully, because the same DNA test can produce different values, depending on the number of SNPs tested."
Private User, would you like to comment?

Jim Henderson, I don't think the Geni API supports DNA yet.

Thanks, Jeff.

OK, so Smart Copy's consistency checker can't check for DNA issues.

I'd like to continue the discussion about the general consistency checker in Geni.

Mike Stangel wanted to see details of the profile before commenting, so I have sent them. More discussion to come.

Jim Henderson The ! does show when there is conflicting DNA but it’s subtle, and the really nice DNA tree doesn’t seem to get much use. So adding to the inconsistencies reporting is a great idea. Maybe something simple like “R is not I, but a different R value is not necessarily an error - see ISSOG tree” for the message?

Well, the drama continues :-(
I disconnected some profiles from the "Fordell Line" of Hendersons based on the Y-DNA research done by David Henderson (Private User), the lead researcher in the Henderson family project at Family Tree DNA. David's information is listed in the Overview tab for Samuel Henderson (Samuel Henderson Sr, of Augusta County) and in the Discussion tab at Samuel's profile.

I also added some brothers of this Samuel, all sons of his father, Nn Henderson, so David could add sources and cite them to document their existence and relationships.

Now a few days later, I find that other curators have merged these new profiles with same-name people, removed the relationship to Nn Henderson and added them back into the Fordell line :-(

Now I am able to point to a profile that does show two different Y-DNA values, and I wish the Geni consistency checker would highlight the fact. The profile is of Ens. John Henderson (Capt. John Henderson). The two values and the people whose tests provided them are detailed at
Capt. John Henderson, namely
R-BY2868 from Y-67 test of Alistair Donald Henderson, Chief of the Henderson clan and
R-PF7589 from Y-67 test of David Henderson mentioned above.

There is a note in the DNA tab of Ens. John's profile:
"There is conflicting DNA evidence propagated from relatives in the family tree. To determine the source of the discrepancy, other males in the conflicting paternal lines should be tested for their Y-DNA. View a list of living males who can be tested for Y-DNA to resolve this discrepancy."

My request is that when this note is triggered, a discrepancy be flagged at the top of the profile with a link to this part of the profile, so people can be notified that there is a discrepancy that needs to be resolved. These discrepancy flags at the top of the profile, things such as "born after the death of mother", should go a long way towards improving the accuracy of the Geni tree, in contrast to the fiction that we see at "individual-tree" sites such as Ancestry and MyHeritage.
Mike Stangel, thanks for your emails to me about this topic. Would you pls add this situation to your thoughts about my request.

Jim Henderson did you MP both profiles to stop them from being re-merged?

Leanne M (Volunteer Curator - Australia) - on walkabout🇦🇺, thanks for the thought, but I needed to leave them not as MPs, because I wanted David to be able to add spouses and children to them.

Jim Henderson You can MP and not lock (or just lock fact fields). Then family can be added. It’s only relationship locking that prevents additional family.

Jim Henderson, I always MP ones that get incorrectly merged. Users can still add family to MP profiles.

@Jeff Gentes I looked at you example and noticed that the BIRTH of Jane Geni (1979) was AFTER the DEATH of her husband John Geni (1970) but there was no error message for it.
It would be a really interesting trick to have a child after 1 of the parents is dead, before 1 of the parents exists or in that 8-9 year time frame when neither of them is alive!

Showing 481-503 of 503 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion