Geni consistency & plausibility checker

Started by Private User on Saturday, April 29, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 451-480 of 503 posts

Is it just me or does anyone else see a 'pattern' here? Is it because it's all just the same information just in different languages or dare I say it... But practically everyone I have followed since joining seems to be the SAME person within multiples trees with the SAME family dynamic. Someone please tell me it just a coincidences. FYI...I've NEVER believed in coincidences.

Private User, please start your own discussion topic on this and leave the "Geni consistency & plausibility checker" discussion for what it should be about.

Lisa,

I do not know if I understand your question correctly.
Geni has the one tree (the Geni World tree) and some isolated trees.
On the world tree there should only be one profile for a person (we try to join duplicates)
So If you are connected to the one tree and the other person is also connected, you are both on the same tree.

Is it a coincidence that the majority of the merged 'duplicate' profiles that I begin to follow along an ancestry line are SUSPICIOUSLY the SAME!!??? I understand that this is the 'WORLD TREE" but... to have so many family trees with the same number of members, married, multipled, or not with/by the SAME people within the FAMILY???? Can there truly be that many "parallel families" within the same 3-400 years with the where, when, and whom are ALL eerily similiar... Yet, I'm just a novice with a mediocre education.

Private User, perhaps you could start a seperate discussion and add the URL's of the profiles that you are referring to so that we can investigate whether they are duplicates of the same profiles.

Yes, I would also be interested of examples of these duplicated profiles..

Private User If you go to the "Full Profile" of one of the family members in question, then click on the "Discussions" tab. There you can start a new 'discussion' about that profile's family -- and that new discussion will automatically notify the co-managers and followers of that profile.

OK. Thank you hunny.

Unless is has already been included, as this is reaching plague proportions in areas of my interest, is it possible to check that the birth date is not the same as the baptism date?

This would be in addition to any tests that check that birth is before baptism as it is obvious what has happened, and the solution is straight forward.

I find the consistency checker very helpful with profiles at geni.com.

I am a volunteer genealogist with the Clan Henderson Society, and we have over 600 trees at Ancestry that we are starting to copy to geni.com, in the hope that peer review will give us better accuracy, and that we can find other ancestors and merge these separate trees into branches of the Whole World Tree.

As we are using SmartCopy, some inconsistencies show up after we have copied families into Geni, but it would be very helpful if, while we are still looking at the other site, we could click a button and have the Smart Copy consistency checker work on that site first and alert us to any problems before we copy them into Geni and have to undo things.

@Jeff Gentes, would my idea be easy to implement?
Jim

Jim Henderson,

If that idea does not work, you might try to do a gedcom download and use a gedcom checker to find inconsistencies in your data.
Please do NOT use a gedcom import on Geni (that would create very many duplicates)

Can we have a FIX button to change USA into United States please?

There are many United States in the world, so no.

@Job Waterreus, I have found that Family Tree Builder, the standalone program for Windows computers, available from MyHeritage, contains a consistency checker on the Tools menu. It works well on a GEDCOM file downloaded from an online site.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, and the download site for Family Tree Builder is
https://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder

Jim Henderson, thanks

You are also welcome to try my sanity and duplicate checker at http://www.improveyourtree.com . It works for both gedcom files and geni.com and finds lots of duplicate profiles, errors and inconsistencies that geni.com does not find itself.

Wondering if you might consider including an option similar to the 'Fix Case" option, but one that will replace fore/sur-names containing "unknown" (or other language variants as per the Naming convention guide) and allow quick easy replacement to NN ??

Private User, I thought that too but NN is not an agreed on naming convention in all countries and languages.

Apparently the Naming Convention Guide is a guide not a Geni rule.

Whatever is used, I prefer to place 'curly braces' {} around it so it doesn't look like a "real" name, even to someone where the word(s) are not their native language.

For birth surname, the NN value may cause some issues as it may cause a 'data conflict' when merging.

Moreover, the NN does not clearly distinguish between:
-- I don't know this name at this time (which may be better left blank, if possible)
vs.
-- this name is *known to be unknown" and should be locked as {Unknown}.

I think it would be better if there was an option (or may be two if i look at the comment from Dan) to choose unknown (that could be translated to all languages)

Hi Job and Dan, Not that long ago there was a huge heated curator debate about the name and what to use. (Apparently it is a very emotive issue for some). At the end of it, I don't think there was any agreement on what name to use (or really any possibility of such an agreement happening) so I think that if Smart Copy was to recommend a name change it may cause a lot of angst as it could be seen to be enforcing a naming convention that has not been agreed upon and does not meet the requirements of the location/time/personal preference/genealogy training. There was also a comment from Geni management on this topic very recently (sorry can't bring it to mind).

For myself I would be unhappy if people changed my profiles to something that had not been universally agreed on (and I am not particularly emotional over it), I imagine others would be extremely unhappy if their convention was changed by others regardless of how well-meaning it is.

unknown - is what I have always used.
As said by others - it is the only identifier that can be translated to other langueages.

NN, etc. - means nothing to many.

NN is Latin so technically language independent, but as Dan says is open to interpretation and users have to learn the term.

I agree with Leanne's comments that SC shouldn't act until there is a clear standard and also that a clear standard is very unlikely.

I like Job's idea that similar to the 3 gender options male/female/unknown a single check box option could be added to the name field of "unknown" though this would not address Dan's point.

I thought that the latin was "Nomen nescio"

I try to use the written records and published studies. In Colonial America, narrative is, for example, “Elizabeth unknown.” (See AmericanAncestors.org for the many published articles.). They avoid jargon and acronyms. Compact dictionaries however such as Torrrey’s American Marriages before 1700 may use somewhat specialized punctuation.

There’s a list of acceptable acronyms in the genealogy world, but they are falling out of favor in more dynamic databases.

For international profiles or where we don’t know any of the name parts, I use N.N. in the first name field; perhaps a distinguishing suffix; and perhaps a descriptive display name. (“1st wife of Thomas Smith”).

In the Visitations in England they may use three dots for a name. (“... Smith of County Suffolk”). I find that very hard to read, but if that’s the source ...

Looks like there is pretty much no agreement on 1 name to use - so smartcopy should not be suggesting a change.

Because of this I think my suggestion may work and would also be easier to resolve when there is a data conflict, but it would have to be a Geni change.

Nomen nescio (pronounced [ˈnoːmẽ ˈnɛskɪ.oː]), abbreviated to N.N., is used to signify an anonymous or unnamed person. From Latin nomen, "name", and nescio, "I do not know", it literally means "I do not know the name".

Showing 451-480 of 503 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion