Geni consistency & plausibility checker

Started by Private User on Saturday, April 29, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 421-450 of 503 posts

Dan Cornett, thanks I understand now. +1

In some countries such as the Netherlands the woman always retains her birth last name, even when married. So she and her husband will have different surnames.

Jeff, in the case where a wife always has the same surname as her birth father, how would the check box be handled ?

Step 1) Does the Husband's last name = wife's birth name? True - Step 2
Step 2) Does the Wife's birth name = father's last / birth name?

Step 2 Result - True, no message. False (or no father exists), set message.

What compilcates this a bit (comparing to the fathers last name) is the patronymic last names used in nordic countries up until the late eighteenhundreds.

That is not complicated: If the fathers first name matches the start of the birth name it is correct.

Would it be possible to display the messages a bit lower (they block the accessed profiles line at the top of the screen)

Job: Just 'x' the messages off when you want to access the 'tree view focus history'

Dan,

Thanks, Yes i do that (because I know it is below the message).
But putting the message line a line lower would make that not necessary.

I wonder if there is a way to go to a profile from the checker in tree view.
It is sometimes not clear where the profile is located in the tree and when there are multiple profiles with the same names it may be difficult to correct an error without knowing some context within the tree.

@Björn, agreed, that's why I said "a bit.. " :)

Jeff, only just noticed your reply to my query above

Thanks !

re: "check messages" display:

Any item in that "check messages" which is 'blue' should be an active link. Thus, for all the profiles which are about "missing country", for example, just CTRL-click on that 'blue' name to open a new tab/window for editing that profile.

Moreover, in TreeView, a simple click on that 'blue' name will open the panel just as if you had "scrolled over" to that profile and clicked the "Edit" button! (Just don't be in the middle of a merge panel or another "edit" panel, as that earlier one seems to get "cancelled".)

Dan,

Yes, but the problem is that it might be difficult to know which profile is opened when there are multiple profiles with the same name. Is there a way to exit the edit to the detail page of that profile? (that may have enough info in the about me to identify the profile, so then going into edit mode the corrections can be made)

In the Tree View, after the popup edit panel closes, you're left with the profile just "edited" (even with no changes) at the 'center' of the Tree View -- the 'focus' profile doesn't change, just the current 'view' position.

If you CTRL-click (Windows) or CMD-click (Mac) on the blue link it will open the profile for editing in a new browser tab/window. Then you can 'cancel' that edit to be at the Full Profile.

Dan,

Thanks,

re: making message of "wife's birth surname same as husband's" smarter:

Here is an example profile:
https://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000032129538624
... where the message could be skipped as the wife's father has the same surname as the husband.

I've pushed out 4.3.15.8 for Chrome, which checks the wife's father's name when evaluating the message about the partner's name being the same. Test it out and let me know if it works out.

Could you consider expanding it to test the fathers first name as well?
That would cover patronymic names since the fathers first name is used in the first part of the last name (with -son/-sen etc the end)

Example .- my great grandmother has a maiden name of Pettersen because her fathers first name is Petter: Hanna Bergitte Hansen

Hmmm, I actually added code to do that... must be a bug. Thanks for the example link to test against.

Ah, it's because his first name is not Peder. It's "Peder Andreas Olai". So the test does the daughter's birth name start with the father's first name fails.

I'd have to parse it out and select only the first part of the first name.

On Nordic profiles we put both first and middle names in the first name field to reduce bad merges since the middle name is hidden both in display and automatic matches.

So: Only test the first word in the first name.

The same with old Dutch profiles, first name and patronym in First Name field.

Is THIS why I have paths to so many different people with the same family dynamics yet see no direct or indirect path until I 'test' each and EVERY family until I find the profile of someone I'm "connected" to?

Lisa, the consistency checker has no impact on the Geni path between you and another profile.

The consistency checker looks at the current profile and those immediately around it (parents, siblings, spouse, children) and checks things like dates (ie is a parent too young or too old to have a child with that birth date).

I understand however, I'm encountering multiple families with the same or similiar dynamics but the names are spelled differently yet they are the same people, some with the same pic. I'm confused.

They are possible duplicates that need to be merged, If you send me the URL's of a pair of them that you think are the same, I can check and merge them if needed.

Pushed out a fix (v4.3.15.9) for the patronymic comparison as to only evaluate the first word in the first name.

Leanne, thank you. I will try. still new to this and working with a shabby laptop at the moment but will do my best to copy the links for you. Thank you so much for your help.

Ok, so now that the profiles are merged was I correct in stating that I was directly "related" to the King of Sweden?

Showing 421-450 of 503 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion