Richard Denton, lll, Reverend - The Origins of Reverend Richard Denton

Started by R Riegel on Saturday, April 29, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1111-1140 of 1225 posts

So, now the list of Reverend Denton's children (and a few relevant events) would be:

1626 Jan 21 Rev. Denton married Maria Duerden [Gregorian]
1626 Jan 27 Denton's predecessor at Turton, Gilbert Astley, buried
1627 July 23, Tymothie, bp. at Turton
1629 March 9, Nathaniell, bp. at Turton [Gregorian]
1631 May 29, Samuel, bp. at Coley
1632 July 10, Daniel, bp. at Coley
1634 Nov. 30, Phoebe, bp. at Coley
1637 Jan 6, Peter, bp. at Coley [Gregorian]
1638 Apr 12 - Richard Marsh (Laud disciple) appointed Vicar of Halifax
1638 June 21, Mary, bp. at Hipperholme/Coley
1638-39 Migration to New England
c.1640, Richard, Jr., born probably at Stamford, CT

I do recognize that we need better evidence about Richard, Junior's birth date and place but I do not see where else he might fit given this roster of children and the timing of other events in Rev. Denton's life. And, why would we find records for every other child's baptism in Halifax except for Richard's?

You might note that in the above scenario, the last two children are named after their parents

I have uploaded to the Sources tab images of the original baptism records from the Bishops Transcripts of Halifax for Phebe, Daniel and Samuel Denton. In his "Descendants of the Rev. Richard Denton," Walter Krum incorrectly noted Phebe's baptism as being on 30 Nov 1634. The actual record indicates it was on 29 Sept 1634.

Richard Denton, Junior

In order to better consider whether Richard Denton, Junior was born in New England (as well as where and when), I took a closer look at Reverend Denton's life soon after the family's arrival in New England.

First, it appears Rev. Denton's arrival in New England was likely in 1638. While describing the dispute among the seven "members" of the church in Wethersfield in his "History of Ancient Wethersfield," (1904), p. 135, et seq., Henry Stiles said "This seventh member may have been the Rev. Richard Denton, who came from Watertown Mass., in 1638." Another snippet about that same dispute from the "History of Stamford Connecticut," Huntington (1868), p. 14, suggests one of the seven arguing members of the church had not come from Watertown, perhaps Rev. Denton:

"The church at Wethersfield had only seven voting members six who had come from Watertown, and one who had joined them. Four of them were on one side in the controversies which had divided the people, and three on the other, but the latter constituted the majority of the community."

Remember that Wethersfield had been established in 1634, so a late arriving Rev. Denton could have been the odd man out. John Winthrop described this dispute and the "seven members" in his journals in the summer of 1639. (See "History of Ancient Wethersfield," p. 135 et seq.)

The move from Wethersfield to Stamford did not occur until around the winter or summer of 1641. The deal with New Haven to purchase Stamford was not made until November of 1640. Rev. Huntington in his "History of Stamford Connecticut" (1868), p. 14 et seq., said the following about the acquisition of Stamford:

"The following record of the decision of the General Court of New Haven, held the 14th of ninth month [Nov], 1640, exhibits the title under which the colonists were to take possession of their new domain..."

Then Rev. Huntington said,

"The following passage, providentially saved from the first book of the Stamford records, will introduce us to these men... 1640-41. A town book of the freeholders of the towne (of Stamford as it) was afterwards called, ... to (begin a) removal thither this winter."

Rev. Huntington then followed that recitation by stating:

"Of the thirty men above named, only twenty-eight came to Stamford in the summer of 1641, as the record immediately following the list shows. On the 19th Oct. of that year they were notified by a "sufficient warning, to come in, "to make choice of those who should administer the affairs of the new colony. Mr. Denton, Mathew Mitchell, Andrew Ward, Thurston Kainer, and Richard Crab were this provisional government. Their commission, given by that pure democracy then assembled, made them in all essentials the authoritative rulers over the people."

After being in Stamford from 1641, Rev. Denton and his family did not move to Hempstead until 1644. Their last child in Yorkshire, Mary, was born in June 1638. The earliest they might have had another child would likely have been in the fall of 1639. It seems likely that they remained in Wethersfield from their arrival in New England in 1638 until their move to Stamford in the spring or summer of 1641. But if they had Richard, Jumior in Wethersfield during that period, there would be no record. Stiles in his "History of Ancient Wethersfield," said at p. 135:

"The total absence of any church records during the first sixty-two years of its existence leaves us in complete ignorance of Wethersfield's religious history during that period..."

On the other hand, Rev. Huntington in his "History of Stamford Connecticut" (1868) includes a chapter listing births, deaths and marriages in Stamford at page 155. The earliest baptism recorded in Stamford was for Jonathan Bell in September 1640 [sic]. But there are no births recorded of a Denton.

Given the recording of a birth in Stamford as early as September 1640 or 1641, it seems very unlikely Richard, Jr. could have been born in Stamford. But given the absence of records for Wethersfield from 1638 through 1641, Richard, Jr. might have been born there with no record remaining.

Rev. Denton then moved his family to Hempstead, Long Island in 1644. The 1647 allotment for the original 1644 Hempstead settlers names Richard Junior along with his father and brothers. That 1647 allotment is evidence that Richard Junior was likely born before 1644 which is bolstered by the fact that the Dentons' last child, Mary, was born in 1638.

Some later Denton family history is also interesting. Nathaniel (b.1628/9) and Daniel (b.1632) are both shown on a certificate for the purchase of Jamaica on Long Island in 1656. Of course, they were both over 21 by that time. "History of Long Island," Vol 2, p. 583. But Samuel (b.1631) and Richard, Jr. remained in Hempstead after their parents returned to England in 1658-59. Then, in 1685 Samuel is shown as owning 240 acres while Richard, Jr. is shown as owning only 50 acres. "History of Long Island," Vol. 2, Thompson, p. 493-94.

Generally speaking, one might expect the eldest son to have fared the best economically. But in this case Richard, Jr. had not done as well, suggesting perhaps that he was the youngest. In addition, the estimated birth dates for Richard Junior's children do not preclude his birth in about 1640 if those births were in about 1662 or 1664.

And don’t forget to look again at the other https://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=joni4ta&i...

There is no baptism record for a Richard Denton in Halifax in the years 1629 through 1631. Of course, a 1630 birth would be bracketed by Nathaniel (1629 March 9) and Samuel (1631 May 29), giving an effective window for another child between about December, 1629 and August 1630.

I reviewed ALL of the original Halifax Bishops Transcripts for 1628, 1629, 1630 and 1631. They are available on Ancestry.com.uk. I also rechecked baptisms in Bolton, Lancashire and the only Denton baptisms there were Tymothie (1627) and Nathaniel (1629).

I do not know the source for the purported 1630 Richard Denton in Halifax, but I can find no support for that birth.

I have uploaded to the Sources tab the image of the original baptism record from the Bishops Transcripts of Halifax for Richard Denton 19 April 1601.

Below is a more complete timeline of Rev. Denton's life. It includes all of the events shown in the timeline on the Overview tab, with corrections where appropriate, plus new events.

1601 April 19 - Richard Denton baptised at Warley, Halifax
1604 Aug 14 - Maria Durden baptised in Heptonstall (near Halifax)
1621 - Became sizar at St Catharine's College, Cambridge
1623 March 9 (Gregorian) - Ordained deacon
1624 January (Gregorian) - BA degree from Cambridge
1624 April 19 - Turned 23 and then one year after being ordained deacon
1624 June 8 - Ordained a priest at Peterborough (erroneously reported as 1623)
1624 June through 1625 - Teaching at Cambridge for his Master's degree
1626 January 21 (Gregorian) - Married Maria Duerden in Halifax
1626 January 27 (Gregorian) - Gilbert Astley, Turton, Lancashire minister buried
1626 (after January) - Rev. Denton and Maria Duerden moved to Bolton and he began preaching at Turton
1627 July 23 - Tymothie Denton baptised at Bolton, Lancashire
1629 Mar 9 (Gregorian) - Nathaniel baptised at St Peter in Bolton, Lancashire
1631 - Became Curate at Coley (near Halifax)
1631 May 29 - Samuel baptised at Coley
1631 Jul 28 - Tymothie buried at Coley
1632 Jul 10 - Daniel baptised at Coley
1634 Sep 29 - Phoebe baptised at Coley
1637 Jan 6 - Peter, baptised at Coley [Gregorian]
1638 Apr 12 - Richard Marsh (Laud disciple) appointed Vicar of Halifax
1638 June 21, Mary, baptised at Hipperholme/Coley
1638 - Denton family emigrated to Wethersfield, CT
c.1640 - Richard, Jr., born probably at Wethersfield
1641 - Denton family moved to Stamford, CT
1644 - Denton family moved to Hempstead, Long Island
1656 - Nathaniel (b.1628/9) and Daniel (b.1632) purchased Jamaica, Long Island with others
1658-59 - Rev. Richard Denton and Maria returned to England
1685 - Samuel (b.1631) and Richard, Jr. (b.c.1640) owned property in Hempstead

Peter Denton (bp. 1637/8) likely died before 1644-47

Peter Denton (bp. 1637/8 Jan 6) was not included on the 1644-47 allotment list for Hempstead, Long Island. Only his brothers Nathaniel, Samuel, Daniel and Richard, Jr. appeared on the list. Therefore, it is likely Peter had died before 1644-1647.

The Early History of Hempstead NY, Charles Moore (1878), pp. 6-8. https://ia801409.us.archive.org/16/items/earlyhistoryofhe00moor/ear...

I uploaded a revised version of "The Origins of Reverend Richard Denton" memo to the Sources tab. The changes begin on page 8 where I added Peter (bp.1637) and Mary (bp.1638) as children and continue through page 10 as I address the birth of Richard, Junior. I also revised the timeline on page 13 and added images of the original baptism records for Richard Denton (bp. 1601), Samuel, Daniel, Phebe, Peter and Mary.

I have uploaded to the Sources tab the image of the original marriage record from the Bishops Transcripts of Halifax for Richard Denton and Maria Duerden on 21 Jan 1625/6.

Note that each husband's name is followed by the same symbol. The husband's name is followed on the next line by the wife's name which is immediately preceded by the day of the month. You will see that pattern beginning with the first marriage entry. You will also see that pattern with the change of each month where the husband's name is on the same line as the month followed on the next line by the date and the wife's name.

The Overview shows a John Denton c.1636 in Bolton, Yorkshire.
John Denton, I

But Bolton is in Lancashire. In addition, the Lancashire Online Parish Clerks shows no John Denton baptised in Bolton from 1611 to 1651. https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Bolton-le-Moors/Great-Bolton/stpeter/ind...

In addition to the John Dentons listed in his profile, FindMyPast has a John Denton baptised to a Rychard Denton on 8 Jun 1628 in Royston, Yorkshire (see below). But Rev. Denton was in Bolton at that time. He had both Tymothie and Nathaniel in Bolton on 23 July 1627 and 9 Mar 1629 respectively. And, John's name does not appear as a son in the 1647 Hempstead allocation of lots from 1644, as did Rev. Denton's other then living sons. This John is likely the son of the Richard Denton baptised in Royston on 21 Jul 1593.

First name(s) John
Last name Denton
Baptism year 1628
Baptism date 08 Jun 1628
Place Royston
County Yorkshire
Father's first name(s) Rychard
Father's last name Denton
Mother's first name(s) -
Mother's last name -
Record set England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975
Subcategory Parish Baptisms

Sometimes it’s hard to figure out where these old Geni profiles originated and what the intent was. I tracked down and see origination from this database

https://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=joni4ta&i...

What I would look for to confirm the Royston identification is any info on Anna L. Denton

John Denton, I and Anna L. Denton seem similar to Mary Anne Howard, the purported daughter of Thomas Howard and Alathea Talbot. Of course, she was a figment of someone's imagination and never existed. :)

With a birth date of 1636 for John Denton, I and marriage dates ranging from 1636 to 1664 for Anna L. Denton, and a child born 1665, none of it makes any sense. Perhaps the names and relationships have some reality, but someone is guessing the dates.

... time & space traveling profiles ... which is why the tree branch is currently isolated.

Re: https://media.geni.com/p13/e5/9f/8e/c0/53444849049ec280/denton-durd...

You’ve found Dearden / Duerden in the Heath Grammar School world.

I am inappropriately thrilled.

I realized I had not included Richard Duerden (bp 1601/2) in Sowerby as another possible connection between the Denton and Duerden families. :) Richard Duerden (bp 1601/2) may have attended Heath Grammar School at the same time as Rev. Denton and it appears that perhaps his father, also named Richard, was a Governor of Heath Grammar from 1624 to 1626. I also wanted to emphasize that Maria Duerden's father was also likely a preacher whose territory in Rochdale connected with Halifax and Bolton/Turton, Rev. Denton's first posting in 1627. Therefore, I added, reworded and revised the following paragraphs on pages 5 and 6 of the Origins of Rev. Richard Denton memo:

The first [of 4 marriages in 1625-26] indicates that “Richus” (Richard) Denton married Maria Duerden in Halifax, Yorkshire on January 21, 1626 (using the Gregorian calendar). The surname “Duerden” was variously spelled as Durden, Dearden and Deurden. A Maria Durden was baptised in Heptonstall, about 5 miles west of Halifax, on 14 Oct 1604. This Maria Durden/Duerden's father's name was Thomas. A Thomas Duerden is also shown in the Clergy of the Church of England Database (CCEd) as a Curate in Rochdale, Lancashire in 1592 Rochdale is about 15 miles from both Heptonstall where Maria was baptised and Bolton where Rev. Denton became a Curate by 1627. Rochdale is also in an area that, at various times, has been part of the counties of West Riding, Yorkshire and Lancashire. In fact, the Church of England describes Rochdale as being in the county of “Lancashire, West Riding, Yorkshire.” Two more daughters of Thomas Duerden were baptised in Heptonstall, Sara on 1 April 1607 and Grace on 20 January 1610. The CCEd comments about Rev. Thomas Duerden say: "Clasisified in 1592 amongst 'no graduates, but preachers, honest men'.

There is also some evidence that the Heptonstall, Halifax Denton and Durden families knew each other. An Agnes Dentone was married to Robert Durden in Halifax in 1572. In addition, a Richard Duerden was baptised in Halifax on 10 January 1601/2 to a father named Richard in Sowerby which is only a mile or two from Warley where Rev. Denton was born. This Richard Duerden would have been Rev. Denton's age, they may have known each other and, perhaps, even attended Heath Grammar School together. This young Richard may also have been Maria Duerden's cousin. And, a Richard Dearden (perhaps young Richard Duerden's father) was a Governor of the Heath Grammar School (1624-26) in Halifax which Rev. Denton had likely attended before leaving for Cambridge in 1621. Heath Grammar School: A Popular History of the Grammar School of Queen Elizabeth, at Heath, Thomas Cox (1879), p. 121.

I also added following Heywood quote in the Emigration section on page 9:

Mr. Denton ... was a good minister of Jesus Christ, affluent in his worldly circumstances, and had several children. He continued here about seven years; times were sharp, the bishops being in their height. In his time came out the book for sports on the Sabbath days. He saw he could not do what was required, feared further persecution, and therefore took the opportunity of going into New England. He returned to Old England about 1659, and lived and died in Essex. In his time the chapel at Coley was enlarged." Memoirs of the Rev. Oliver Heywood, B.A., Rev. Richard Slate (1827) , p. 20.

I also added at the end of the memo the baptism records for Maria Duerden, Phoebe, Peter and Mary Denton. And I added the marriage record for Agnes Dentone and Robert Durden in 1572 and the baptism record for Richard Duerden in Sowerby in 1601.

This was a surprise....

But first... I reviewed all of the Halifax Bishops Transcripts from 1624 through 1640 to see if I could find Richard Denton, Jr. But I did not find a Richard born to another Richard in those transcripts. This points towards Wethersfield c,1640 for the birth of Richard, Jr.

Now for the surprise... During the course of my review, I discovered a 21 Jan 1633/4 [1634 Gregorian] marriage between a Richard Denton and a "Mary Duerden" in Halifax. Of course, Rev. Denton had Tymothie (1627), Nathaniel (1629) Samuel (1631) and Daniel (1632) before this other Richard's marriage. Therefore, this new Richard is not the Reverend. (I have uploaded to the Sources tab a copy of the original Bishop's Transcript.)

But now we have a "Mary Duerden" marrying a Richard Denton in 1634. This Richard could be one of the Richards born in 1603 (Halifax), 1599 (Fishlake), 1596 (Royston) or 1595 (Halifax). There were also Mary Deurdens baptised in Rochdale in 1603 (father: Jacobi) and 1601 (father: Richard) as well as a "Mary Doerdin" baptised in Kippax in 1612 (father: Lawrence). (Kippax, Yorkshire is about 20 miles east of Halifax.) The father of "Maria Durden" baptised in 1604 in Heptonstall was named Thomas.

Another factor to consider is a baptism of an unreadable given name child to a Richard Denton in Halifax in March of 1638 (Gregorian). Of course, a March, 1638 birth conflicts with Mary Denton's baptism on 21 June 1638. And this Mary Denton's baptism record specifically notes her father Richard was a minister.

And, one more factor is: “The marriage age of men was probably the same or a bit older than that of women. (In 1619, it was about 23 for women, 26 for men.)” Rev. Richard Denton was born in 1601 and was 25 in 1626. Maria Duerden was born in 1604 and was 22 in 1626. “Age of Marriage,” the University of Victoria, Canada, Internet Shakespeare Editions.
http://internetshakespeare.uvic.ca/Library/SLT/society/family/marri...

None of the above makes me reconsider concluding that the Reverend is 1601 Richard and that his wife was Maria Duerden baptised in Heptonstall in 1604. One factor is that the father of the Maria Duerden baptised in 1604 was named Thomas, the same name as the Curate from Rochdale. There is a certain irresistible symmetry to the daughter of a preacher marrying a preacher. But it is better to address this 1634 marriage now while all of the other evidence is on the table.

If nothing else, the 1634 Denton-Deurden marriage is further evidence of the ties between those two families.

What of the possibility Rev Denton married two different Maria Duerden’s? That sounds pretty stupid. They tried to disambiguate in Records. But it brings to mind that we haven’t thought of a 2nd wife for him.

The “affluent circumstances” ... how does that jibe with “pensioner” at Cambridge?

Certainly are building a case for Denton / Duerden connections.

I had thought of a second marriage for Rev. Denton. But I reviewed every single handwritten original Bishop's Transcript for Halifax and for Heptonstall between 1624 and 1640. There were no other records for a Richard Denton marriage. I also checked for Denton marriages in Bolton and Rochdale from 1620 to 1640 on the Lancashire Online Parish Clerks site. He lived in Bolton/Turton, Lancashire and Coley/Halifax, West Riding, Yorkshire. A second marriage just does not seem in the cards.

Marriage to another Maria would have created awkward timing. Phoebe was born 30 Nov 1634 at Coley. The second Mary Duerden marriage was 21 Jan 1635 (Gregorian).

I had thought of a renewal of vows, particularly after the death of Tymothie. But I have no idea whether that practice may have existed in the early 17th century.

Here is how I would reconcile Rev. Denton being a sizar at Cambridge with the description of him being "affluent of worldly circumstances" by Re.Heywood. Rev. Denton's return to England in 1658 was described as being to "collect an inheritance." But the description of that event by Megapolensis and Drisius stated that his wife would not return without him. In other words, he was not needed in England to collect that inheritance. Therefore, the inheritance was for her.

We also know that Richard Deardon was a Governor of Heath Grammar School in the mid-1620's. A Richard Deurden was having a family in Rochdale about the same time as Thomas Deurden was having a family which included Maria Deurden. I suspect one did not become a Governor of Heath Grammar School without having some means.

If Maria Duerden was returning to collect an inheritance and Richard Deardon/Deurden was substantial enough to become Governor of Heath, that suggests the Duerden family had some means. In other words, Rev. Denton's "affluence" could have been derived from his wife's family.

I was also thinking a second wife in America of no records, perhaps explaining a later birth Richard Denton Jr.

Right, we had been thinking that the money could be on the wife’s side. Correct, the enterprising head of the Heath School hit up the persons of means / ambitions. If this Maria’s father was a preacher, he wasn’t the listed Governor, I don’t think. But related to.

Didn’t Rev Denton get Coley Chapel refurbished? I wonder if there are records on that.

I haven’t seen much mention of vow renewal in this period and it doesn’t seem like a Dissenter practice.

We also have to reconcile Rev Denton in America in search of funds with the “affluent circumstances” in England. That’s not so hard: relocating and colonizing was quite expensive.

With respect to Richard Junior, I think his birth circa 1640 falls into the natural progression of the Denton family. His siblings were born in 1627, 1629, 1631, 1632, 1634, 1637 and 1638. I am not inclined to think postulating a second wife is needed.

I think the issue of "affluence" should be considered in light of Rev. Denton's vocation. One priest might live more comfortably than another, but few of them amassed their own fortunes, especially if they only had a chapel of ease or two. One priest might be jealous of another priest's ability to cultivate benefactors and then classify the other as "affluent.".

My suspicion is that Rev. Denton was popular enough to have a benefactor or two who made him comfortable and probably protected him by financing the family trip to America. His popularity is likely reflected by Cotton Mather's glowing words. His benefactors may have been Henry Priestley, the Winthrop family and/or the Saltonstalls. As I reviewed the Halifax Bishops transcripts, I was surprised at the number of Saltonstall baptisms and marriages I saw, even through the late 1630's. That family, and probably some of its wealth, was still in Halifax.

The father of 1604 Maria Duerden was Thomas. So, no he was not Richard, the Heath Governor. But I suspect Maria's father was related to the Heath Richard as a brother, father, uncle or cousin. Unfortunately, I have not found enough records to confirm a relationship.

I do recall a refurbishment of the Coley Chapel. I will need to review my notes. But in line with my comments above about "affluence," my suspicion is that costs for such a renewal would have been paid by Henry Priestley and/or other patrons of the chapel.

I suspect the following is the passage about which you were thinking. But finding records would be a tall order.

"In his [Rev. Denton's] time at Coley the chapel was enlarged, the new ceiling built that goes to the north, the seats made uniform, the pulpit brought from Halifax, being an old pulpit there opposite to that which now stands in the church; for as this stands on the south side, so that removed stood north, facing the south, at the other great pillar."

Interestingly, Oliver Heywood, who succeeded Rev. Denton at Coley c.1651, grew up in Bolton (bp. there in 1630) while Rev. Denton served at nearby Turton in 1626 to 1631. (Rev. Denton's son Nathaniel was baptised in Bolton in 1629.) Then, there is Thomas Duerden, father of Maria Duerden, a Curate appointed to Rochdale in 1592. I get the sense of clerical circulation around Halifax, Bolton and Rochdale.

"The Rise of the Old Dissent, Exemplified in the Life of Oliver Heywood," Rev. Joseph Hunter (1842), p. 1, 82. https://books.google.com/books?id=kwJjAAAAcAAJ&lpg=PA82&ots...

I reviewed the original Bishop's Transcripts for Halifax from 1609 through 1614 looking for additioanl Richard Denton Baptisms. I found one Richard baptised in 1611 to Edward Denton and another Richard baptised in 1614 to Samuel Denton. Either of them could more logically have married the Mary Duerden in Halifax in 1634.

I looked briefly at the Bishop's Transcripts for Heptonstall but trying to read those scripts was like trying to read ancient Greek. I think it is enough to have found two Richard Dentons in Halifax who could have been the Richard who married a Mary Duerden in 1634. They were young (only 23 and 20), so it seems unlikely they would have married a Mary Duerden who was 7 or 10 years their senior.

I revised the document on the Sources tab called "1634 Richard Denton Marriage and 1638 Denton Baptism" to include copies of those baptisms on the second and third pages and uploaded it again to the Sources tab.

Looking into Durden’s more may be more useful; we already know there were a ton of Denton’s. I’m still struck by Heywood’s “affluent means” comment; it would have to have been the wife, and you are correct, refurbishment would have been from the Coley Chapel patron funds.

Winthrop is not useful for family connections (he wasn’t Yorkshire Origins) but Saltonstall absolutely is. I had developed the English tree as I could find easily but hadn’t looked into Durden.

On the other hand a direct family connection is not necessary to explain Denton affiliation with Saltonstall. A reason I had developed that tree is because they were a rich & powerful Dissenting family & had to have been quite involved with colonizing America.

I read a brief snippet where Gurton Saltonstall was disappointed he wasn’t getting more political support from the older generation Gov Winthrop. (From the Bremer Winthrop Biography - https://books.google.com/books?id=2OSoAwAAQBAJ - Denton is not mentioned in a search inside)

While I said Winthrop, I was actually thinking of Sunderland. The Sunderlands owned Priestley Green/Coley before the Priestleys and, if I recall correctly, repurchased it later,

The Durden family seems to have been more concentrated on the border between West Riding and Lancashire -- places like Rochdale. But some branches of the family, like Maria Duerden, moved east to Heptonstall. I did not see the Durden/Duerden name among the many Halifax baptisms. But Heptonstall was not included in the Halifax parish records. Heptonstall was recorded separately.

I don’t remember now if Sunderland was on the Heath List, and they’re not America emigrants if I recall correctly, but you are quite right in they seemed to be well off. Based on your geographical note though it’s not a place to look for Duerdens particularly. Not that we need it: a preacher’s family in the area is enough to make her a top candidate. What would be nice is brothers marrying sisters type thing.

Showing 1111-1140 of 1225 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion