Richard Denton, lll, Reverend - The Origins of Reverend Richard Denton

Started by R Riegel on Saturday, April 29, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1051-1080 of 1225 posts

Good reasons for the Reverend to move to Hempstead.

So there are a couple of notes in the profile for Esq. Samuel Saltonstall of Rooks & Huntwick of interest

"After his father's death, Samuel owned Rookes Hall and Huntwicke, Winteredge Hall at Hipperholme and Rogerthorpe in Badsworth. However, by 1612, Samuel was living primarily in Hull, having sold his property in Hipperholme to John Northend, his tenant. This particular property was later called Langley Hall and lost it's connection to the Saltonstall family ..."

-----

NORTHEND being the name of two colonists on the John of London

------

"The inhabitants of North Ouram, Shelf, and Hipperholme were under the ministry of Coley Chapel, which was built by their joint contributions about the year 1500."

-----

"The will of this Gilbert Saltenstall, of the Rookes, gentleman, is worth recording. Watson states he purchased Rookes 8th Elizabeth (i565-6), and is accordingly mentioned of that place 37 Elizabeth (i594-5). His name "of Rookes " occurs as guardian of two of testator's children in the will of Richard SUNDERLAND, of Highe Sunderland, i573. His will was made 23rd November, 1598, and proved 9th January, 1598-9."

bing bing bing!

7. Ezekiel Northend

https://minerdescent.com/2012/02/19/john-northend/

Ezekiel’s wife Edna Halstead was born 1624 in Halifax, Yorkshire, England. Her parents were Nathan Halstead and Isabel Denton. She first married 1645 in Rowley, Essex, Mass to Richard Bailey (b. 21 Aug 1614 in Bradford, Yorkshire, England – d.16 Feb 1648 in Rowley, Essex, Mass.) Edna died 3 Feb 1705 in Rowley, Essex, Mass.

So Isabel Halstead's first husband, Richard Bailey, was a servant on the Bevis 1638 to Richard Dummer

Richard Bailey, of the "Bevis"

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~corey/bayley/d1.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dummer#The_Bevis May 1638

On his return to the family home at Bishopstoke, Dummer found his brothers packing and storing goods and provisions for their forthcoming journey to New England.[2] At the time, there was political and religious unrest in England with the Puritan Parliament holding the purse strings to the frustration of King Charles.

The royalist High Sheriff, Sir John Oglander, kept his eye on happenings and noticing Richard's ship, the Bevis of Hampton, at anchor at Southampton, put a detention order on it while he investigated what was going on. He sent his men to search the homes of the Dummer brothers, John, Thomas and Stephen. Although they failed to turn up any contraband or evidence of tax evasion on exports, the searches did reveal the provision the family were making for their forthcoming voyage.[2]

bing bing bing! is right!!

Isabel Halstead (Denton) shows on Geni as born before December 4, 1599 in Halifax as the daughter of Thomas Denton and Susan. The father Thomas Denton is shown as born before March 10, 1582 (Julian or Gregorian) but the Overview notes suggest some uncertainty about that date. If Isabel was born in December 1599 and Thomas was born in 1582 or 1583, he would have been only 17 at her birth.

The Thomas Denton I identified as Rev. Denton's uncle was baptised 3 Mar 1576–7 in Barnsley. That date would work better for the birth of Isabel and would make Isabel the Reverend's cousin.

I could not find a confirming baptism record for Isabel Halstead (Denton) (bp. 1599 Dec 04) in Yorkshire between 1597 and 1602 on FindMyPast or FreeReg. The following are the records returned. You will note that none of them show a father named Thomas. But interestingly, one shows a father Henry Denton from Barnsley. Could Isabel (Elizabeth) be Rev. Denton's sister?

Isabell, 1598 Dec 21, ?, Royston
Isabella, 1598 Oct 29, Roberti, Hulbridge
Issabel, 1598 Nov 26, Adami, Marske in Cleveland
Elizabeth, 1598 Apr 02, Henerici, Barnsley
Elizabeth, 1598 Jun 25, ?, Royston
Elizabeth, 1599 Nov 04, Johnis, Cawood (near Tong)
Elizabeth, 1601 Sep 25, ?, Royston
Elizabeth, 1601 Dec 29, Rychard, Royston
Elizabeth, 1602 Feb 21, Willm, Kirkburton

Here is the record for the Barnsley Elizabeth Denton.

First name(s) Elizabeth
Last name Denton
Gender Female
Baptism year 1598
Baptism date 02 Apr 1598
Place Barnsley
County Yorkshire
Father's first name(s) Henerici
Father's last name Denton
Mother's first name(s) -
Mother's last name -
Record set England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975

Richard Balye
in the England & Wales, Christening Index, 1530-1980
England & Wales, Christening Index, 1530-1980 No Image
Text-only collection

View Map
Add alternate information
Report issue
Name: Richard Balye
Christening Date: 13 Jun 1613
Christening Place: Osbaldwick, Yorkshire, England
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Map:
View this parish
Father: John Balye

Richard Bailey, of the "Bevis"

If it's the wrong Isabel I'd look earlier, she married in 1619

You have the Isabel record, so I won't argue. We have seen before that various services do not have rights to all of the records. In any case, the only other possibilities were two Elizabeths in 1591 and 1592 in Royston and Hatfield.

I don't like that father for her though. Too young!

Here's a little about the Northend family:

http://archive.org/stream/essexinstitutehi44esseuoft#page/306/mode/1up
TRANSCRIPTS OF PARISH REGISTERS OF
ROWLEY, CO. YORK, BEFORE 1653.
1622. Baptisms.
Sarah, daughter of Robert Northend1 of Weeton2 , 7 April, 1622. ....
1. — See Hist. Colls. Essex Inst., vols, xii, xvii and xxii, also Water's Gleanings in N. E. Register (Reprint, vol. i, pp. 427-8.) This most interesting family were seated at Weighton Parva (Weeton) and Hunsley in Rowley parish before 1604-5, in which years were proved the wills of John Northend Sr. and Jr. (probably father and son), in the Exchequer Court at York. They were probably cadets of a numerous family of the name seated at Northowram in the parish of Halifax, whose wills appear in the Calendars from the beginning of the 16th century.

-----

This record

Elizabeth, 1599 Nov 04, Johnis, Cawood (near Tong)

Seems awfully close to my Isabel record

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tong_village

Tong Village is a village in the City of Bradford metropolitan district, West Yorkshire, England. It is a historic village, and is sometimes thought to be a smaller version of the larger area of Tong, which is a local election ward.

The village was an integral part of the Tempest estate, comprising workers' cottages, farmsteads and ancillary buildings. By 1725 a linear settlement extended eastwards from the chapel, towards Keepers Lane and Hill Green

St James Church is the only identifiable pre-Conquest church in West Yorkshire and is therefore of considerable historic interest.

So on this image

https://media.geni.com/p13/15/6d/c0/b8/534448451a54f550/img_0777_or...

There is also an Isabel Denton buried 1599, and a Thomas son of Thomas baptized 1600.

This family is of Bradford, and the Isabel who married Nathaniel Halstead did so in Bradford in 1619. So that makes me think the Isabel Denton buried 1599 was her mother.

That appears right to me too.

Another Virginia connection

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~halstead/d1.html

Henry Halstead had come to America as a child in 1635. His family arrived in Concord, Massachusetts as members of the Bay Colony Company. Henry Returned to England after his brothers death in 1645. Henry Halstead visited his uncle James at Sowerbyridge, Halifax Parish, near Lancashire while back in England after his father's death in the Colonies and before he returned to the Colonies. Henry came to Elizabeth City County, Virginia with six others with Captain Christopher Burroughs on November 7, 1651.

Hmmmm..... Choices......

On the other hand, another reason.

I have to figure out who uncle James of Sowerby Bridge was.

Another random thought.

Rev. Denton's name may not have been on the 24 Aug 1662 list of priests ejected from the Church of England because he may no longer have been on the Church's list of priests. He had emigrated to New England and may have resigned in 1638 as did Rev. Ezikiel Rogers on 14 May 1638. If he resumed preaching on his return in 1658-59, during the Interregnum (1649-1660), it is unclear what licences may have been required or what records kept.

Most Church of England records seemed to stop during the Interregnum but resume in 1662. See the CCEd for examples.

I've run across an interesting quote about university students in Tudor England

Source: Linehan, Peter, Ed. “St John’s College Cambridge A History” Boydell Press (Woodbridge, 2011) p 68

"As has often been remarked before, in order to understand the nature of collegiate life in Tudor England it is vital to understand how young they all were. When William Cecil lectured the Heads of House on the importance of keeping control of ‘inordinante youth’ he was not just thinking of the students, he was thinking of the Fellows as well. When Cecil had come to St John’s aged fourteen In 1535, his tutor, John Cheke, was just seven years his senior. The Senior Fellow in 1565, Richard Curteys, was barely thirty, having matriculated in 1550 at the typical age of about fifteen and become a Fellow at the age of eighteen. Over forty of his forty-eight colleagues had only joined the Fellowship in the reign of Elizabeth. Their average age was not much above twenty. The Master, Richard Longworth, was only thirty-three ..."

Yes, I have noticed references to fairly young ages, as well. I wonder if those young ages related to the lack of a local grammar school or richer parents kicking the child out of the nest early.

Different education system from what we're used to today and somewhat persistent into education until the American public school system and the creation of "normal" colleges for teacher training. Example could be Ben Franklin's autobiography; his parents offering choice of apprenticeship or minister track. He chose the former.

I would expect
1) Dames school before age 7
2) grammar school education overseen by the local parish priest (Shakespeare's education) ended about age 13-14,
3) then for more upper classes a finishing public school (Eton?) for a couple years,
4) then university matriculation around age 16, which is still not unusual. The Heath Grammar school and its ilk were Elizabethan innovations.

Of course a large landed gentry family engaged live in tutors, and perhaps even the London courtiers had tutors to visit the home and teach there. I don't know when the practice of fostering as a kind of squire in another's home died out.

I'm glad you mentioned the priest's role in education. I had not been thinking about that but it would certainly explain what the priest's were doing after they finished writing the Sunday sermon. And, the priest's were probably among the most educated people in less urban areas.

I think I remember accounts of less studious Cambridge students who would begin their educations early (eg. at 15 or 16) but who would take 7 or 8 years to complete their studies.

But normally a BA was taken about 3 years after matriculating.

Showing 1051-1080 of 1225 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion