Richard Denton, lll, Reverend - The Origins of Reverend Richard Denton

Started by R Riegel on Saturday, April 29, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 331-360 of 1225 posts

I am currently stuck on the Sarah Denton family BTW. So anyone from that line is more than welcome to jump in.

Hoping this is what you are after. I included sources in brackets after each child.

Tymothie Denton, baptised 23 July 1627 at St Peter, Bolton le Moors, Lancashire as son of Richard Denton, Minister of Turton. Died: Unknown. Married: Unknown.
[Source: Lancashire Online Parish Clerks Project]
Nathaniell Denton, baptised 9 Mar 1629 at St Peter, Bolton le Moors, Lancashire as son of Richard Denton, Minister of Turton. Died 18 Oct 1690 at Long Island, Queens, New York. Married about 1653 to Sarah Smith, daughter of William and Magdalen Smith.
[Sources: Lancashire Online Parish Clerks Project; FindMyPast.com: Third Supplement To Torrey's New England Marriages Prior To 1700, Sanborn]
Samuel Denton, baptised 29 May, 1631 at Halifax, Yorkshire as son of Richard Denton, Minister of Coley. Died 1713/14 at Long Island, Queens, New York. Married about 1664 to Mary Smith at Hempstead, New York.
[Source: FindMyPast.com: Third Supplement To Torrey's New England Marriages Prior To 1700, Sanborn]
Daniel Denton, baptised 10 Jul 1632 at Halifax, Yorkshire as son of Richard Denton, Minister of Coley. Died: Unknown. Married 24 Apr 1676 at Springfield, Massachusetts to Hannah Leonard.
[Source: FindMyPast.com: FamilySearch film number: 000185414]
Phoebe Denton, baptised 30 Nov. 1634 at Halifax, Yorkshire as daughter of Richard Denton, Minister of Coley. Died: Unknown.
[Source: "Descendants of the Rev. Richard Denton," NYGBR, 1989, Walter C. Krumm]

That's gorgeous! Corrections I see (without citations)

- apparently Daniel was first married to Abigail Stevenson and they divorced. (Unusual for that time & place).

- Samuel's wife Mary Smith was the daughter of John "Rock" Smith, I believe that one is in good shape (somewhere, if not on Geni)

- by contrast I'm not yet comfortable about Nathaniel's wife, Sarah Smith. I've been working on the William Smith tree and not seeing signs of her yet, and Combes was clear in stating lack of certainty. Does Crumm have anything on her?

Just realized a possible/likely error in the listings above. That 24 Apr 1676 marriage of Daniel Denton (b.1632) to Hannah Leonard may be the marriage of a grandchild of Rev. Denton named Daniel rather than his son. The actual record does not indicate this Daniel's birth date. This could be a late marriage, a second marriage or the marriage of a different Daniel.

I had not seen your post when I posted. I do not have anything else about Nathaniel's wife Sarah Smith. I did not see anything in Krumm about her.

In case this may be of use to anyone, I found this record on FindMyPast indicating that a Daniel Denton traveled from Bristol to New York in June 1710. (I suspect this is a second or third generation descendant of Rev. Denton, since his son Daniel was born in 1632.)

20 June-l July. Shippers by the York galley, Mr. Robert Quead, bound
from Bristol for New York: John Bacheler Sr. & Co., John Bacheler
Jr., Morgan Cornock, Margaret Tovey, Robert Edwards, Stephen Pelo-
quin, Daniel Denton. (PRO: E190/1166/3).

From p. 117,
Record set: United States, Transatlantic Migration
Title: The Complete Book Of Emigrants, 1700-1750
Year: 1700-50
Author: Coldham
There is another record on FindMyPast indicating that a Daniel Denton traveled from Bristol bound for Pennsylvania but the year is not clear. The latest date on the page references a deed dated in April 1712.

l9 May-1 July. Shippers by the Friends Endeavour. Mr. Hopkin
Richardson, bound from Bristol for Pennsylvania: Charles Home & Co..
Thomas Melton, Daniel Denton, William May, Thomas Cannon, John
Hart & Co... Edward Woodley, John Painter, James Hard, John Lucas,
Thomas Holmes, Thomas Maddocks. (PRO: E190/1171/1).

From p. 136
And, there is yet another record on FindMyPast indicating that a Daniel Denton traveled from Bristol to New York in June 1713.

12 June—17 July. Shippers by the Wiltshire, Mr. Jacob Hollister, bound
from Bristol for New York: John James, Walter Grimer, Robert Axe,
John Stanton, Robert Smith, Thomas Caille, William Reeve, Peter
Perpoint, Daniel Denton, Richard Wilcox. (PRO: E190/1173/l).

From p. 145

Daniel Denton & Hannah Denton is correct, I'm pretty sure. I want to work on her parents because they had done got 'et up into a Taunton Leonard family, oops. This line in fact is covered into some detail in the Denton Newsletter from the early 1990s, and this Daniel is quite interesting.

http://newsfeed.rootsweb.com/th/read/DENTON/1998-04/0893734762

I've updated the profile "about," the section at the bottom is still an unformatted data dump. Perhaps later.

An interesting read from https://www.ancestry.com/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=243&p...

According to the Genealogical Record, Saint Nicholas Society of the city of New York, organized February 28, 1835, incorporated April 17, 1841: Volume

… Some believe that Everitts may have been among the group that came to the Massachusetts Bay Colony with a Rev. Mr. Richard Denton (b. ca. 1586) a defrocked priest of the Church of England from Halifax, England. (Mr. Denton’s father was a Sir Richard Denton also from Halifax.) They arrived in Massachusetts sometime between 1634 and 1635.

On the other hand, a man named Richard Everitt may just have been coincidentally in the same place with Denton and his followers.
The Denton group left the Massachusetts Bay Colony because of a disagreement over “observance of the Sabbath”. A logical path for them to have followed to get out of the Massachusetts Bay colony and get to Connecticut would have been to go directly west to Springfield where there were already trails and settlers. Then they would go south along the Connecticut River.

A Richard Everit (Yes, only one “t”!) of Springfield could have met them as they passed through Springfield.

By 1636, Denton’s group were first in Wethersfield, CT. In fact, Denton’s name is on a map of that time on a centrally placed house lot.

In 1638, Denton and a few of his followers were invited to settle in what is now Stamford, CT. where a dispute occurred within the church over a proposal by some church members to limit baptism to full church members. Denton opposed this. He and more than one-quarter of the inhabitants of Stamford including most of those who had accompanied him from Wethersfield decided to leave. They purchased a 16 mile plain on Long Island from the Rockaway Indians. This is what is now called Hempstead, Long Island. The deed was signed on Dec. 13, 1643.

In 1644 we find the Denton Group of 28 families in Hempstead on Long Island. They secured a patent from the Dutch administration in New Amsterdam.

In 1657 they accepted the invitation of Gov. Peter Stuyvesant to settle in the newly created area of Jamaica, Long Island. Gov. Stuyvesant was trying to get more Calvinists in his colony.
In 1659 Richard Denton returned to England where he died in Essex in 1662. His group appears to have blended into New Amsterdam and later into New York.

Great job updating the About profile. It is now much easier to understand.

It would not surprise me if Benjamin F. Thomson was the source of that information included in the Everitt story. His "History of Long Island from the Discovery to the Present Time" was published in 1843. https://archive.org/stream/historylongisla01thomgoog#page/n33/mode/2up Perhaps Thompson was a member of the Saint Nicholas Society.

Thank you, I was planning to look for "The History of Long Island." I believe this 1843 work may be the origin of the circa 1586 birth date for the Rev. Does he cite his source data?

----

On another note, when tree cleaning "down" tree I've been trying to be aware of the naming pattern rhythm, see if it holds true at all, and if names repeat. The name Phebe repeats.

Yes, I do believe Thomson's History of Long Island is the source of the 1586 date (page 19). But he does not give a source.

I too noticed Phebe (b.1662) as a daughter of Nathaniel (1629-1690). My thought was that it was to honor a lost sister -- but that is speculation.

When I was revising my memo to include the CCEd information about “Roger” Denton (the mis-named Rev. Richard), I noticed errors in the other CCEd dates. I hate it when automation doesn't understand the rules. Effectively, the computer interpreted, for example, the date “8/6/1623” as August 6, 1623. The computer failed to understand this was an English formatted date and it should have been 8 June 1623.

Below are groups of dates with interpretations as needed:

US notation: month/day/year
UK notation: day/month/year

CCED Richard Denton (CCEd Person ID: 33942)
http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/persons/DisplayPerson.jsp?Pe...:
Ordained deacon: 9/3/1622 (9 Mar 1622)
Ordained priest: 8/6/1623 (8 Jun 1623)
Curate at Turton: 7/3/1628 (7 Mar 1628)

CCEd Roger Denton (CCEd Person ID 134825)
http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/persons/DisplayPerson.jsp?Pe...:
Ordained deacon: 9/3/1623 (9 Mar 1623)
Ordained priest: 8/6/1623 (8 Jun 1623)
Curate at Coley: 5/2/1633 (5 Feb 1633)

Venn online
http://venn.lib.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/search-2016B.pl?sur=Denton&su...:
Ord. deacon (Peterb.) 1622/3:03:09 (9 Mar 1622/3)
priest 1623:06:08 (8 Jun 1623)

Venn Alumni Cantabrigienses
https://archive.org/details/alumnicantabrigipt1vol1univiala:
Matric. sizar from St Catharine's, Easter, 1621.
B. 1603, in Yorkshire.
B.A. 1623-4.
Ord. deacon (Peterb.) Mar. 9, 1622-3;
priest, June 8, 1623

Because I posted the above note about dates, I thought I might as well include below a little more about dates which will be included in a revision to my memo.

Dates in England prior to 1752 can be confusing and ambiguous. See the Lancashire Online Parish Clerks Project:

"Prior to 1752, the Julian calendar was in use in England. In this calendar, the new year began on 25 March each year, so 31 Dec would be followed by 1 Jan of the same year, and 24 Mar would be followed by 25 Mar the following year. This applied up to 31 Dec 1751, after which the Gregorian calendar was adopted. 31 Dec 1751 was followed by 1 Jan 1752."

To solve this problem, the Lancashire Online Parish Clerks Project uses a dual date for the period from 1 January to 24 March of each year:

"To avoid any ambiguity, we record dates between 1 Jan and 24 Mar of each year prior to 1752 as dual dates. So for example, 31 Dec 1746 is followed by 1 Jan 1746/7, 2 Jan 1746/7 and so on until 24 Mar 1746/7, then 25 Mar 1747."

The Alumni Cantabrigienses used a similar system but said:

"Sometimes, however, this is not possible, and then we have to leave the exact date ambiguous. Thus, when any one is said, in these volumes, to have died 'Feb. 15, 1615,' it is meant that we simply do not know whether this should stand 1614-5, or 1615-6. A number of these puzzles have been left us, the Dictionary of National Biography itself being a not-infrequent offender."

In addition, determining what year written in a church record was actually intended can also pose issues. The Lancashire Online Parish Clerks Project describes the problem as follows:

"Sometimes the minister would not record the change of year correctly, forgetting to do it until a few days later. The information presented on our website will normally reflect the change of year at the point where it should have occurred, not necessarily where the minister wrote it."

And, the Alumni Cantabrigienses said:

"The principal difficulty one has to face is this. In taking a date, from an ordinary history of the popular kind, we often do not know what the author means. Has he simply copied some contemporary record — parish register, tombstone, etc. — or has he tacitly substituted the modem reckoning? Wherever we can determine which he has done we have substituted the double date in order to avoid confusion."

Finally, the CCEd Clergy of the Church of England Database displays only a single year in its dates and does not explain whether that is the actual date shown in the historical record or whether it has been adjusted from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar.

The foregoing issues suggest viewing all dates from this period with extra caution.

Ordination as a Deacon and Priest. The Church of England's records for Rev. Richard Denton appear under his given name Richard (CCEd Person ID: 33942), but also under the given name “Roger” (CCEd Person ID 134825), and both entries must be viewed to see all of his records. The reason for this error in names is not clear. While Rev. Denton's record under the name Richard indicates that he was ordained as a deacon at Peterborough Cathederal on 9 March 1622, his record under the name Roger indicates he was ordained a deacon on 9 March 1623.

The Church of England's records also indicate that Rev. Richard Denton was ordained as a Priest on 8 June 1623. But Rev. Denton's record in Venn's Alumni Cantabrigienses indicates that he received his B.A. degree from Cambridge in “1623/4”. Venn's notation of the year as “1623/4” suggests that the degree was awarded in 1624 under the Gregorian calendar. Typically, a university degree was required for ordination as a priest and one year would pass between ordination as a deacon and ordination as a priest.

Is there anything about de frocking? It woulda have been before 1638 & prompted emigration.

I have seen nothing to support that allegation. In fact, the CCEd web site describes the types of events that are reported if information is available. And, disciplinary action is included. But, again, nothing on Rev. Denton.

I have revised my memo "The Origins of Richard Denton." It is on the Geni Sources tab or you can download it from the following link:

http://www.analent.com/Denton/OriginsOfRichardDenton.pdf

The changes are:

p. 3 Added a section explaining Julian versus Gregorian calendars, etc.

p. 4 Revised section re ordination timing and events

p. 5 Revised section re marriage to reflect various possibilities, e.g. Maria Duerden

p. 7 Revised summary re marriage and identity beginning with "In light of the foregoing evidence..."

p. 13 Added CCEd "Roger Denton" records

p. 31 Added records for Tymothie, Nathaniell, Samuel and Daniel Denton

I have been trying to understand how long it usually took to get a B.A. degree from Cambridge in the 1620's. Have you seen anything that might answer the question?

At British History Online there is a good article titled "The University of Cambridge: The Middle Ages." http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol3/pp150-166 While it concentrates on the period before the 16th century, it does give a pretty good view of a Cambridge education. Because students would sometimes start their education as early as 14 or 15 and because the course of study could last for 7 years or more, it sounds like it would have been similar to a high school plus college education today.

My sense is that it would have taken at least 3 or 4 years or perhaps longer to get a B.A. degree.

Below are some illustrative quotes from the BHO article:

"In 1358 the University of Oxford passed a statute forbidding the admission into religious orders of boys under eighteen, and, although there is no record of such a statute at Cambridge, later events make it clear that such a statute was passed. (fn. 49)"

"The Ancient Statutes of the University probably assumed their present form about the beginning of the 16th century, but they incorporate much older material, (fn. 73) and they give a clear picture enough of the constitution of the University in the later Middle Ages. (fn. 74)"

"The normal undergraduate came to Cambridge when he was 14 or 15, or even younger, and the general course of study in arts lasted for seven years, (fn. 96) though only a minority of those who entered completed it."

"The most important study of the period was the course in arts. This began with grammar, followed by logic and rhetoric, though it was logic which gave the whole course its character, the whole of medieval university education centring upon the disputations in the schools. In his second year the student was created sophister, and was allowed to take part in disputations, instead of merely listening to them. He was not allowed to 'respond to the question' until he had been two years a sophister, had maintained two general sophisms, and had twice responded in the schools, (fn. 106) and he had also to promise to 'determine' within two years of responding to the question. (fn. 107)"

"The ambitious student had before him the choice either of theology or of law, civil or canon, all of them roads towards professional success. During the period covered by Grace Book A (1454–88) it appears that canon law was the most popular of these three possibilities, with the other two about equally balanced... In civil law the student could not be admitted bachelor unless he had studied for five years, if he had previously been regent in arts, for seven years if not; (fn. 118) after three years of further study he might incept as a doctor if he had heard the Digestum Vetus twice, the Digestum Novum and the Infortiatum once, had lectured cursorily himself, and had opposed and responded in his faculty. (fn. 119) The bachelor in canon law had to hear lectures on civil law for three years, on the Decretals for three years, and on the Decrees for two years more; (fn. 120) to incept in canon law, it was necessary to study civil law for five years, the Decrees for three years, and to hear cursory lectures on the Bible for two years, as well as giving cursory lectures and taking part in disputations. (fn. 121) The theological student was not allowed to oppose until his fifth year if he had been regent in arts, his seventh year if he had not. (fn. 122) In the seventh year from his regency he was allowed to read cursorily Peter Lombard's Book of Sentences. (fn. 123) Once an opponent had begun to read the Sentences, he had, by a statute of 1466, the title of bachelor. (fn. 124) To incept as a doctor of divinity, the candidate had to have been regent in arts, to have attended lectures in divinity for ten years, including two years' lectures on the Bible."

Just FYI: One more reason to question the dates appearing in the CCEd database: Venn says in the Preface to Vol 1 of Alumni Cantabrigienses, p. xvi, that most graduations took place in January. Venn used the 1623-4 notation for Rev. Denton's graduation indicating he had little doubt that the graduation was in January, 1624 (1623 under the Julian calendar). If a B.A. degree was required for ordination as a priest, then Rev. Denton's ordination is more likely to have taken place on 8 June 1624 rather than 8 June 1623. Below is the relevant language from Venn:

It is especially necessary to call attention to this question of ambiguity of date owing to the fact that the B.A. degree was almost always taken in January. For instance, Richard Bentley graduated B.A. in Jan. 1679-80, and M.A. in 1683. The printed Graduati simply gives these dates as 1679 and 1683; incidentally making it appear that four years intervened between B.A. and M.A. instead of three and four or five months... Not all the B.A. degrees were taken in January, but only about nine-tenths of them. The remaining tenth, technically called Ad Baptistam degrees, were taken after March 25, when there is no difference between the old and the new style.

https://archive.org/details/alumnicantabrigipt1vol1univiala

You might enjoy looking at this article

"The education and training of gentry sons in early modern England" by Patrick Wallis & Cliff Webb. Published in Journal: Social History Volume 36, 2011 - Issue 1

http://www.lse.ac.uk/economicHistory/pdf/WP128.pdf

Part of the reason i thought the article perhaps applicable to the Rev were the comments from Oliver Heywood about his predecessor at Coley Chapel - - "of good family" and "of some means."

The "of some means" conflicts with the Rev as sizar, but does not conflict with an idea that he was a younger son of a (perhaps) "gentle" family.

The date of matriculation in 1620 suggests the Rev received a grammar school education, so his BA degree course would have been a usual three and change years in duration. Always suppose the usual. :). The average age of entry in BA programs tabulated for those born about 1600 was 17.8 years old. This fits fine with a birth date reported by Venn of 1603.

Now by contrast for a birth date, we have from "the Early History of Hempstead" (1879), number 11 on the list of proprietors in 1649:

http://www.archive.org/stream/earlyhistoryofhe00moor/earlyhistoryof...

11. Denton, Rev. Richard, b. in Yorkshire, Eng., in 1586; 1623, grad. 
at Camb. Univ. ; d. in Eng., 1662. He became Minister of Hali- 
fax, Yorkshire ; 4 sons : Daniel, and prob. Richard, Jun., Natha- 
niel, and Samuel. Deprived of one eye ; and " though he were a 
little man, yet he had a great soul" (says Cotton Mather). 
In 1635, at Wethersfield ; 1641-3, at Stamford ; 1647, 61 years of 
age, at Hempstead ; 1650, the 1 orders to attend church could not be 
enforced; 1656-9, at Hempstead. His wages not paid; 1659, 
returned to England (2 Thomp. L. I., 20). He did not please a 
large proportion of the settlers. Many of them had been accus- 
tomed to forms, language, and style very different from his, and they 
were so widely scattered that they could not readily attend at one 
place. 

-----

Also of interest at the end of the pamphlet

A few other names have been mentioned, such as John Cornis, (Cornell 
or Cornells), Robert Dean, John Roads, William Thorn, and Richard W'il- 
lets ; but we are not sure of the dates. 

At least ten of these men can be traced from Yorkshire, England. A 
much larger number doubtless came from that large county. So many 
were from Yorkshire, that the settlement was characterized as a Yorkshire one. One of their difficulties we cannot readily appreciate, nor could the Dutch. At that date the provincial dialect of Yorkshire was so strange, that other Englishmen could not understand their common language ; nor could they make themselves understood by strangers without great difficulty. By report they were loyal to the English King and sharp at a bargain, but ready to oppose and resent unjust treatment ...

-----

I partly bring up the confirmation of Yorkshire origins is that the 1586 birth date is associated with a Richard Denton of St. Albans, Hertfordshire.

Where apparently they spoke a different language than those from Yorkshire.

-----

History of Hempstead is also confident that Richard, Jr. (who died in Dorchester in 1658) was a son of Rev. Richard, and with him at Hempstead in 1647 (he's #12 on the list). The "probably" is reserved for Nathaniel (# 10).

Richard Jun. seems to have had two daughters born at Hempstead, about 1658 & 1659. Yet his death is found in Dorchester MA vital records. One daughter married a Dutchman, Cornelius Lossee, and has numerous descendants. The other married English - first a Thorne, then a Richard Tupper.

Apocryphal first daughter Sarah Denton married a Thorne, supposedly who died in Dorset - yet THORNE is a name on this list of Yorkshiremen in Hempstead, and here again marrying a Denton.

Ruth Foster

There is no indication that this family was ever in Long Island.

I am thinking that there could have been two Richard Dentons - one on Long Island, one in Dorchester.

I doubt records can be found for the births of the daughters of Long Island Denton, but perhaps there is property, wills, etc.

I agree with your interpretation of Heywood's comments about Rev. Denton in light of the article about education of the gentry. It made me think again about Fishlake Richard (b.1599) who, it appears, had one older brother, Edward (b.1596), an older sister (b.1597) and perhaps a younger brother, Arthur (b.1608).

1603 plus 18 works for matriculation in 1621 (Venn's date) but not for ordination as a priest in 1623-4 which takes us back to 1600-01. 1621 matriculation plus 3 years study gives a graduation in 1624 (Venn's Gregorian calendar date) which was required for ordination as a priest. If only it were so simple that identification could be reduced to easy arithmetic.

Thanks for the cite to the article. It was interesting and educational. But it did surprise me that they could mine enough data from that era to create a statistical model.

As I have said, I have not found any records for a Richard Denton born in all of England in 1586. The closest was a Richard born to a Richard in St. Albans (near London) 5 Apr 1583 and a Richard born to an unknown father in Norfolk 2 Feb 1588. And that is by using FindMyPast, FreeReg.org and Crossley's Halifax Registers as sources.

The original source for this 1586 date appears to be "The History of Long Island from the Discovery to the Present Time" by Benjamin F. Thomson (1843), p. 19. https://archive.org/details/historylongisla01thomgoog But Thomson gives no source. Another subsequent 19th century work, "The Early History of Hempstead (Long Island), Moore (1879), p. 8 also cites a 1586 birth date and states that Rev. Denton was 61 years of age in 1647 at Hempstead. https://archive.org/details/earlyhistoryofhe00moor But again there is no citation and the 61 years of age statement appears to simply be the arithmetic. I suspect that Moore in 1879 used Thomson from 1843 as a source.

A search for Richard Denton born in 1586 on the LDS FamilySearch site returns only three possible entries that have sources. (The rest cite no sources and appear to be of the typical internet variety.)

(1) A Richard Denton born 1590 in Worley [sic], Halifax but christened 5 April 1586 in Yorkshire. (Yes, those dates and locations are in that record.) Death is shown as 1662 in Southwark, Essex. This is asserted to be the Rev. Denton. The source is noted as a book called "The Wiltse Saga" by Don Norman Wiltse (1980), p. 23. The book is not available on the internet except by purchase.

(2) Under Film Number: 498811 a Richard Denton christened 27 May 1686 (yes, it is 1686) to a John Denton at St Martin Coney Street, York, England. Citing this record "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NG66-GQX : 6 December 2014), Richard Denton, Richard Denton; citing ST MARTIN CONEY STREET,YORK,YORK,ENGLAND, reference ; FHL microfilm 498,811.

This Richard Denton has a corresponding record at FindMyPast from the Borthwick Institute for Archives, so the 1686 date is probably not a typo.

(3) Also under Film Number: 498811 a Richard Dent (yes, Dent, not Denton) christened 19 Aug 1586 to a Richard Dent again at St Martin Coney Street, York, England. Citing this record "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JM8K-KL2 : 6 December 2014), Richerd Dent, Richerd Dent; citing ST MARTIN CONEY STREET,YORK,YORK,ENGLAND, reference ; FHL microfilm 498,811.

This Richard Dent also has a corresponding record at FindMyPast from the Borthwick Institute for Archives, so it is Dent and not Denton.

It is interesting that both the Richard Dent (1586) and Richard Denton (1686) are shown as being baptised in the same place in York. York is about 35 miles northeast of Halifax.

One additional source I am not sure how to find or access is noted in the About section of this Geni entry for the Rev. Richard Denton. The quote from the DentonGenealogy.org web site says "According to information on film #057, Latter Day Saints Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, Rev. Richard was born 1586 at Yorkshire, England..."

Any idea what "film #057" is and where it can be accessed? I tried the LDS FamilySearch site but the number 057 yields no results. It seems the reference is to their IGI database where they entered information into computers in the 1960's and then created microfilm indexes of the entries. Maybe film #057 refers to the entries I found above. The LDS apparently did incorporate the IGI database in 2014 which may have changed the numbering system.

The thought of two Richard Dentons has crossed my mind as well. After all, I found 30 Richard Dentons born in all of England between 1583 and 1620. It does seem possible that more than one of them made it to America.

Correct, the film number is an IGI entry. The IGi is a mish mosh of submitted pedigrees, family history books, and perhaps birth records that are good. I trust your FindMyPast entries far more.

The 1586 [sic] birth date in St Albans is associated with the marriage record of 1611 in I think Wiltshire to a Helen Windlbank, these are early 1970s? pedigrees - or perhaps earlier. Savage (updating Farmer), Thomson (1846) & Moore (1879) venture no wife name.

Now we have those 5 Dentons listed as original proprietor's of Hempstead in 1647, it does not seem likely to me that they would list a Richard Junior in error. I believe he would have needed to have been at least 18 years of age, so we're looking at a birthdate of before 1629. If the name pattern holds true, he was 3rd son.

Just did a double check on the Richard Denton from St. Albans, Hertfordshire because I recalled his birth as being in 1583. My memory was correct. Here is the record from FindMyPast:

First name(s) Richard
Last name Denton
Gender Male
Birth year -
Birth place -
Baptism year 1583
Baptism date 05 Apr 1583
Place St Albans
County Hertfordshire
Country England
Father's first name(s) Richard
Father's last name Denton
Mother's first name(s) -
Mother's last name -
Record set England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975
Category Birth, Marriage & Death (Parish Registers)
Subcategory Births & baptisms
Collections from England, United Kingdom

Showing 331-360 of 1225 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion