Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
4/9/2017 at 11:17 AM

Why does geni show hes my 12th cousin?

Private User
4/9/2017 at 1:40 PM

Melissa King Could be several reasons. One could be that Geni just calculated the relationship differently and showed a different path way. If you were in a different area on your tree and then went to see what relationship you were to Johnny, it could show a different pathway. Or someone could have disrupted the links between you and Johnny.

It's probably the first one reason. In 2 weeks you should get a little icon that looks like a "re-cycle" icon that you can push to recalculate and it will go to the closest relationship between you and Johnny.

What I like to do on certain profiles that I like, is to just capture a screenshot of the links to that person. That way if I ever go to it again and it's showing some kind of odd connection I can go step by step, link to link to the profile in question. And usually that resets the cache (a hardware or software component that stores data so future requests for that data can be served faster) and that solves the problem :)

BTW, you're my 11th cousin, nice to meet you!

Private User
4/9/2017 at 2:13 PM

Johnny Depp is my 19th cousin five times removed, and that has never changed, but Arthur is right, sometimes paths will change depending on from which profile we open them from, we can easily turn our nearest cousins into being red instead of blue and sometimes get very shifting paths... : )

4/9/2017 at 4:01 PM

I agree with Arthur and Ulf. I noticed that too Melissa, that it changes. I have the "We're Related" app on my phone and it uses a lot of info from ancestry.com, so I often have two different paths. Plus my wife is on it too, and we often get the same connections, so then I get a third pathway.

On Geni.com Johnny Depp shows up as 7th cousin twice removed and on the phone app he shows up as 7th cousin 1x removed. A difference of going through a brother or the father in mine.

Lots of branches on these here trees. I love all of this! Enjoy! :)

5/22/2018 at 8:07 AM

11th cousin thrice removed.

10/30/2018 at 8:47 PM

He's my 6th cousin

5/20/2022 at 4:14 PM

Johnny Depp is my 11th cousin.
You
→ David Ronald Davis
your father → Elizabeth Jane Davis
his mother → Elsie Vernor Horn
her mother → William Ambrose Redding
her father → William Alfred Redding