Jean le Roux, SV/PROG 3 - From Normandie? Sources?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Monday, March 27, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
3/27/2017 at 10:32 AM

The background of one Norman settler at the Cape remains a mystery: that of Jean le Roux (Roex). The name is frequently encountered both in French Calvinist records and among refugees in the United Provinces.186 It would seem probable that the Jean le Roux who became a member of the Walloon congregation at Amsterdam in May 1687 was the future Cape refugee, although another of that name from Normandy was accepted as a citizen of Groningen in 1682. A Pierre le Roux from the Pays de Caux was in Amsterdam in 1686.187 Also from Normandy were the ancestors of Francois le Sueur of Ooij in Gelderland, who came out to the Cape on the Midloo in 1729 as a Dutch Reformed church minister. His father Jacques fled from France with his parents Jean le Sueur and Marie Haulen in the last decade of the seventeenth century.18
* Boucher.M (1981). French speakers at the Cape: The European Background. Pretoria, UNISA: Ch 5: Cape settlers I: from the Loire to the Channel

3/27/2017 at 10:43 AM

Scratch that, I've found it: Baptism Register, Helena; Dogter van Giliam du Toij de moeder Zara Coesette is gedoop den 6en Augt 1690, als getuijge Jan Roe de Normandij, en SuSanna Sonsiet..

in Lorna Newcomb and Ockert Malan, compilers, Annale van Nederduits Gereformeerde Moedergemeente Stellenbosch No 1.., CD-ROM (Stellenbosch) Die Genootskap vir die Kerkversameling, 2004 0-9584832-1-3),http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/g7/p7221.htm

Private
10/20/2017 at 12:36 AM

He is suddenly the son of his brother?

Private
10/20/2017 at 12:38 AM

Sharon Doubell please have a look here. An Esme le Roux asked how can he be that son of Jean SV1 if Jean SV1 was still very young (6). You are the curator and have done a lot of work here.

I have been doing "undo" merges on both profiles but it is still wrong.☺

10/20/2017 at 2:10 PM

Must be a mis merge - but I also can't figure out which one
I've simply removed his relationship to those parents - thanks for noticing, Esme
Please check now, Judi & tell me what you think.

cf Jean le Roux, SV/PROG 1

Private
10/22/2017 at 3:26 AM

Sharon it looks fine to me now. ☺

10/22/2017 at 3:47 AM

:-)

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion