Andrew Ward, of Fairfield - Parents of Andrew Ward Sr., Colonial Commissioner (Governor) of Connecticut

Started by Marilyn Ann Ward on Thursday, February 23, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 18 posts
2/23/2017 at 5:16 AM

In my research of our family tree I have found the following information regarding my 10th great grandfather. Included is his findagrave information with identifies his parents as well.

Andrew Ward Sr., Colonial Commissioner (Governor) of Connecticut
(B-1597-Homersfield, Suffolk, County, England/D-2/28/1660-Fairfield, CT) came to the United States in 1633, married 2/1/1618 in Woodbury, CT to Hester Sherman (B-4/1/1606-Dedham, Essex County, England/D-2/28/1665-Fairfield, CT)
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=WAR&...
http://person.ancestry.com/tree/62374932/person/34087510938/facts

From Findagrave.com bio
He was made a freeman at Watertown, Mass. on March 3, 1633-4, was appointed by the General Court in Mass. to govern Connecticut on March, 1626, served as assistant, deputy, judge, deputy judge and was on the war committee for Fairfield. He was one of three men appointed to go to Agawam (Springield) "to treat with the Indians of Waronocke". He is found among the free planters in New Haven in June of 1639. Andrew Ward & ROBERT COE of Weathersfield were appointed to treat with Wethersfield regardng the plantation of Stamford. Around 1651, he purchased a homelot in Fairfield and was an influential man there.
Tombstone inscription:
IN MEMORY OF
ANDREW WARD
BORN IN ENGLAND 1597
ONE OF THE FOUNDERS OF
WETHERSFIELD & STAMFORD
______
AN HONORED CITIZEN OF
FAIRFIELD, CONNECTICUT
WHERE HE DIED IN 1659
_____
MEMBER OF A COMISSION GRAUNTED TO
SEVAL P'SONS TO GOVERNE THE PEOPLE ATT
CONNECTICUT BY THE GENERAL COURT
OF MASSACHUSETTES BAY UNDER
JOHN WINTHROP JLGOVERNOR 1635-1636
_____
ERECTED BY
THE ASSOCIATION OF DESCENDANTS
OF ANDREW WARD 1907

From Genealogy.com Melisa Perschon’ Family--
EDUCATION: He signed his will and his wife made her mark to hers. His inventory included "books and honey" valued at £1. The inventory of his widow included "books" valued at 15s.and "a Great Bible" valued at 15s.
OFFICES: Commissioner for Massachusetts Bay to govern new settlements on the Connecticut, 3 March 1635/6 [MBCR 1:171]. Connecticut Assistant, April 1636, September 1636, March 1637, May 1637 [CT Civil List 58]. Deputy for Wethersfield to Connecticut Court, November 1637, March 1638, April 1638, August 1639, September 1639, January 1640 [CT Civil List 58]. Deputy for Stamford to New Haven Court, April 1644 [CT Civil List 58]. New Haven Assistant, October 1646 [CT Civil List 58]. Deputy for Fairfield to Connecticut Court, May 1648, May 1649, September 1649, May 1650, September 1650, May 1651, May 1652, May 1653, September 1653, May 1654, September 1654, May 1655, May 1656, October 1658 [CT Civil List 58].
ESTATE: Andrew Ward was granted a ten-acre homestall in Watertown, probably in 1633 [WaBOP 99]. In the Inventory of Grants and the Composite Inventory, this homestall belonged to Nicholas Busby, who also held many parcels granted to Edmond Sherman, father-in-law or brother-in-law of Andrew Ward [WaBOP 50, 99, 135]. Apparently Edmond Sherman acquired the homestall from Ward upon his removal to Wethersfield, and based on the proprietary rights accompanying the homestall received further grants in Watertown, which he then sold to Busby.
In the Wethersfield land inventory on 24 March 1640/1 Andrew Ward held eight parcels of land: homelot of four acres; fourteen acres and two roods in the great meadow; four acres and three roods of great meadow and swamp; two acres and three roods in the back lots; eight acres of dry swamp; six acres of wet swamp; fifty-four acres in the West Field; and two hundred sixty-four acres on the east side of Connecticut River [WetLR 1:250].
In his will, dated 8 June 1659 and proved 2 November 1659, Andrew Ward of Fairfield bequeathed to "Ester my beloved wife" £40 and one third part of all my lands & housing in Fairfeild during her widowhood"; to "my son John" £50 at age twenty-one; to "my daughter Sarah" £40 "within one year after her marriage"; to "my daughter Abigall" £40 at age eighteen; (the next clause is partly lost to fire, but apparently gives land jointly to sons Andrew and Samuel at age twenty-one); residue of moveables to be divided equally between sons Andrew and Samuel; "and for the rest of my children they have received their full portions already except my son Edmond who if he come to this place my will is that out of my two younger sons Andrew and Samuell's portions there may be paid twenty pounds" [Fairfield PR 1:58-59].
The inventory of the estate of Andrew Ward was taken 18 October 1659 and totalled £242 10s., including £80 in "house and lands" [Fairfield PR 1:59-60].
In her will, dated 27 December 1665 and proved 28 February 1665/6, Hester Ward bequeathed to "my son William Ward" £5; to "my daughter Mary Burr" 40s.; to "my sons Andrew and Samuell" £8 apiece; to "my daughter Abigaill" £10; to "the children of my daughter Anna Nicholls nine pounds to be equally divided among them"; to "my grandchild Hester Ward" £9; to "my son John's children in being" £9; to "my grandchildren Sarah Burr and Nathaniell Burr the children of my daughter Sarah nine pounds to be equally divided among them"; wearing apparel divided among daughters Ann, Mary, Sarah and Abigail; sons William Ward and Andrew Ward to be executors and residuary legatees; to "Daniell Bur and Hester Burr ten shillings apiece"; to "my son William ... my great Bible and if Andrew outlive him then Andrew shall have it" [Fairfield PR 2:11].
The inventory of the estate of "Mrs. Hester Ward deceased," was taken 30 January 1665/6 and totalled £139, with no real estate included [Fairfield PR 2:12].
BIRTH: By about 1603 based on estimated date of marriage.
DEATH: After 8 June 1659 (date of will) and before 18 October 1659 (date of inventory).
MARRIAGE: By about 1628 Hester Sherman, daughter of Edmund Sherman; she died between 27 December 1665 (date of will) and 30 January 1665/6 (date of inventory).
CHILDREN:
i EDMUND, b. say 1628; named in father's will of 8 June 1659 (apparently not residing in New England), but not named in mother's will of 27 December 1665.
ii ANN, b. about 1630; m. by 1650 Caleb Nichols (eldest child b. Stratford 1 December 1650 [FOOF 1:435-36]).
iii WILLIAM, born say 1632; m. by about 1664 Deborah Lockwood, daughter of Robert Lockwood (Jeffrey Ferris, who married the widow of Robert Lockwood, made payments to the children of Robert Lockwood, deceased, and one of the payments was to William Ward [Fairfield PR 1:42, 66, 67; FOOF 1:380-81].
iv HESTER, born say 1634; probably m. (1) Joseph Boosey, and if so m. (2) Jehu Burr, son of JEHU BURR [FOOF 1:118-20].
v MARY, born say 1636; m. (poss.) John Burr, son of JEHU BURR [FOOF 1:119-21].
vi JOHN, born say 1638; m. Middletown 18 April 1664 Mary Harris, daughter of William Harris [MidVR Barbour 468, citing Middletown LR 1:12].
vii SARAH, born say 1640; m. by about 1662 Nathaniel Burr, son of JEHU BURR [NYGBR 51:164].
viii ABIGAIL, born say 1642; m. (1) by 1672 Moses Dimon [FOOF 1:184-85]; m. (2) by contract dated 2 June 1685 Edward Howard [FOOF 1:293].
ix ANDREW, born say 1644; m. by about 1669 Trial Meigs, daughter of John Meigs (in his will of 28 August 1671 John Meigs made bequests of land to "my daughter Tryall Ward," which were to go at her death to "her son Andrew, or if he die and have no children then to return to his next brother John and his seed" [Henry B. Meigs, Record of the Descendants of Vincent Meigs ... (np 1901), p. 176, citing Killingworth LR 2:62]).
x SAMUEL, born say 1646; m. (1) by about 1671 _____ Ogden, daughter of Richard Ogden [FOOF 1:448]; m. (2) Hannah (Howkins) Nichols, daughter of Anthony Howkins and widow of Jonathan Nichols [FOOF 1:438-39].
ASSOCIATIONS: Early accounts of the origin of Andrew Ward claimed that the family was from Homersfield, Suffolk, but no evidence of the family has been found there. Jacobus suggested searching in the area of Dedham, Essex, since that was the home of Ward's wife [FOOF 1:643-44]. Jacobus also noted a clue pointing to a Ward family of Faxton, Northamptonshire [NYGBR 44:119-21].
COMMENTS: On 2 July 1640, Samuel Smith sued "Andrew Waird," but we do not learn the cause or outcome [RPCC 12].
"History of Fairfield" He settled at Fairfield purchasing the Perry house on Newton Square next to that of Rev. Samuel Wakeman. A physician, he was appointed by the General Court in Hartford to be the surgeon for Company F in the war against the Narragansett Indians. He was killed during the War.

2/23/2017 at 8:17 AM

Thank you for posting this.

There is a pedigree suggesting that the parents of Andrew Ward were Richard Ward, of Homersfield and Gorleston, Suffolk & "Anne" Ward, {fictional profile}

Is there any evidence to support it?

My understanding comes from Families of Old Fairfleid:

Families of Old Fairfield makes the following statement on p.643:

"....family of Richard Ward of Gorleston or Homersfield have been investigated. No such person as Sir Richard Ward, Kt. was found; no Anne (Guiville) Ward. No Gunville family existed in that vicinity as lords of the manor; and every reference given has proved to be fictitous. It is likely that these statements were the invention of a fraudulent genealogist, innocently accepted by members of the Ward family, through whom they found their way into the book."

2/23/2017 at 9:04 AM

I downloaded and added to profile the article Donald Lines Jacobus wrote on Andrew Ward, which includes some research conclusions on his origins. Read here:

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000054920681821&
https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000054920681823&
https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000054920681825&

2/24/2017 at 8:29 AM

Marilyn and Erica - You guys are on top of this! Sorry I was gone to SF yesterday and just got back. Marilyn that research you cited above is a direct quote of this source:

Robert Charles Anderson, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-1633 , 3 volumes (Boston 1995) 1918-21

If you have a subscription you can access this article at either Ancestry.com or AmericanAncestors.com (or you can buy the books):

https://www.americanancestors.org/databases/great-migration-begins-...

If you are eager to research Great Migration immigrants that is the best place to start and well worth the subscription. In 2015 the author Robert Charles Anderson published a new book:

Robert Charles Anderson. The Great Migration Directory: Immigrants to New England, 1620–1640 (Boston, Massachusetts. New England Historic and Genealogical Society. 2015)

Which cited newer research if it is available and on page 357 we can see that there is none:

Ward, Andrew: Unknown; 1633; Watertown, Wethersfield, Stamford,
Fairfield [GMB 1918-21].

What's interesting is Anderson cites FOOF (Families of Old Fairfleid) which Erica uploaded above. And Jacobus calls this a probably fraud. Jacobus never would use those words to refer to research of another genealogist unless he actually believe this.

Jacobus goes on:

"It is certain that he m. in England, Hester Sherman, who was bapt. 1 Apr. 1606 at Dedham, co. Essex, and we should look for his antecedents in that quarter. The will of Robert Lockwood(3) of Eye, -near-Yaxley, co. Essex (who m. Margery Sherman), in 1558 named his daus. Mary wife of John Ward and Ann wife of Anthony Barker. David Rawson of St. Gregory's, London, father of Edward (Sec. of Mass. Col.), and son of Edward and Bridget (Ward) Rawson, in his will 1616 named his uncle John Ward, and Andrew Ward (a minor), son of his uncle Ralph. Now Dr. John Ward of Ipswich, Mass., besides mentioning various
2 The Lockwoods of Fairfield were prob. of this tribe.
3 By Col. Charles E. Banks for Mrs. Finley J. Shepard.
Sherman cousins in his will 1652, gave £20 each to the two youngest sons of his ''Cousin Ward of Wetnersfield.'' Dr. John Ward was son of John Ward (will 1631) of Stratford St. Mary, co. Suffolk, just across the River Stour from Dedham, co. Essex. The mother of Dr. John Ward was Anne, whose will 1635 made Dr. John Clarke of Colchester Executor. This was the Dr. John Clarke who settled later in Newbury, Mass., the same town to which the younger Edward Rawson had come in 1637.
Andrew may have been the son of Ralph, nephew of John of Stratford, and cousin of Dr. John Ward and of Sec. Ra,vson; but positive proof has not been found.*
*Stephen and Joyce (Traford) Ward had a son Richard of Faxton, co. Northampton, whose will in 1640 named various relatives, including a brother Andrew; but as this Andrew was in England in 1640, be was not the emigrant. However, Richard gave a legacy to Gov. Thomas Dudley in New England, and a clue may be found here."

So we can discount the original genealogy. However, Anderson also cites NYGBR 44:119-21 which is:

J. Henry Lea and J. R. Hutchinson, CLUES PROM ENGLISH ARCHIVES: CONTRIBUTORY TO AMERICAN GENEALOGY in The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Volume 1 through present (New York, NY: NYGBS, 1913) 44:119-21

And I'm in the process of uploading this article in PDF to the profile. The upload is going slowly. And I've got to run soon so check the media section in about an hour and it'll probably be done by then. The author makes a very good case as to the identity of the parents of the immigrant. I haven't studied this family in depth but it seems to me this article is due some serious contemplation and may even include strong enough evidence for the parents of the immigrant. I don't want to jump to conclusions though as I'm in the middle of a Clapp update and Downing update as well as some Marblehead work right now so my attention isn't all it should be. But if either of you have the time today maybe you could read it and share your opinions. The article posits that he was brother of testator Richard Ward and son of Stephen Ward of Northampton and Joyce (Trafford) Ward.

If the PDF doesn't upload you can view the article here:

I'm going to be gone for a couple of hours but will be back later.

2/24/2017 at 8:30 AM

It just uploaded.

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000054964606043&

Click on the Original PDF link to download it - I OCR'd it too.

2/24/2017 at 10:09 AM

Didn't read the NYGBR yet, but just from the notes it seems quite congruent with the research direction D.L. Jacobus suggested.

And I like that we're not looking for manors in England that never existed.

2/24/2017 at 10:23 AM

Here are the Geni profiles for Joyce (Trafford) Ward & Stephen Ward

Joyce Ward

Stephen Ward, of Northampton

Private User this is getting into work you've done ....

2/24/2017 at 10:27 AM

Another nail in the coffin for the spurious pedigree, from an NYGR article (I will add to the profile for Richard Ward):

https://books.google.com/books?pg=PA120&lpg=PA120&dq=richar...

It is also noteworthy, in further contravertion of that erronious derivation, that we find in the Parish Registers of St. Mildred's Cornhill, London, the burial of a Mr. Andrew Warde, gent., 23 January, 1615,f who was probably the son of that Richard Ward of Homersfield and Gorleston, Suffolk, who was so lightly accepted as the American Emigrant without a scintilla of evidence beyond the Christian name.

2/24/2017 at 10:58 AM

I've updated this family group which has been disproved as the ancestors of Andrew Ward of Watertown and Fairfield:

Richard Ward, of Homersfield and Gorleston, Suffolk

(stripped of his imaginary knighthood)

"Anne" Ward, {fictional profile}

Andrew Warde, Gent.

and the fictional "Anne" Ward, {fictional profile}

Not sure if Richard Ward of Homersfield should be restored as son of Thomas Ward, of Homersfield my earlier notes in that profile have him as "chronologically improbable."

2/24/2017 at 3:53 PM

Yup that's the same NYGR article I uploaded earlier in PDF. Nice work on the updates!

"burial of a Mr. Andrew Warde, gent., 23 January, 1615" = Nail meet coffin.

"If further confirmatory evidence were needed of the derivation of the Wethersfield people from the Braffield stock, we find it in the constant recurrence, among the American descendants, of the Christian names of the last mentioned English family, as shown in the will, every one of which is repeated and notably the very unusual ones of Ambrose, Andrew, Richard, Alice, Grace and Margery, while those of Stephen, Robert, Daniel and Isabell of the recorded pedigree also appear. All of them but Richard and Andrew being conspicuous by their absence from the Homersfield pedigree."

If it walks like a duck...

Private User
2/25/2017 at 7:52 AM

This exchange is why Geni is so great. Thank you for all your hard work Erica Howton and Roland Henry Baker, III to straighten out these similar named lines.

2/25/2017 at 9:22 AM

We still need to build affilliations from Joyce Ward to Andrew Ward of Fairfield

I don't think geni reflects this yet?

2/28/2017 at 1:39 PM

Also, here is the burial info for Anne, so I don't believe her to be fictional as originally thought.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=126319504

2/28/2017 at 5:13 PM

You could request a photograph be taken of the tombstone, or at the very least, a reference that a person by this name is in fact buried in this cemetery.

2/28/2017 at 7:48 PM

Did you follow the link? It has 4 family members as being buried there. Richard, Anne, Thomas and his wife Margaret Hare

4/26/2018 at 4:13 PM

so all this info, as enlightening as it is, still leaves me to question is Andrew Ward(1597-1659) the son of Richard or Stephen, both claims seem to attempt debunking the other, and leaves me just as confused as i first started

4/27/2018 at 1:41 AM

charles ward Andrew Ward is not the son of either. His parents have not been found.

Private User
5/1/2018 at 6:09 PM

From (page 174) of Fifty Puritan ancestors, 1628-1660 : genealogical notes, 1560-1900, by Nash, Elizabeth Todd. Publication date 1902. Topics Nash family, Puritans, genealogy. Publisher New Haven : The Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor Co. Collection allen_county; americana. Does not gives many usable dates (which is problematic), except for further back... But, here is the page entry(from book mentioned. Viewable online here: https://archive.org/details/fiftypuritanance00nash):

"The Ward Family

The following authorities are given for the Ward Chart, which goes back to Osbert de Varde, 1130: Burton's “Monasticon,” pp. 139-166; Whittaker's “Leeds”; Dugdale's “Monasticon,” Vol. V, p. 139; Tanner's “Notitia.”

In 1130 there were three brothers de Varde: Simon, Godewin and Osbert of Givendale, Yorkshire. Osbert had two sons, Richard and William de Varde of Givendale Living, 1150.
William de Varde had a son, Simon de Varde, who married Maude___. Simon de Varde founded Escholst Priory the end of the Twelfth Century; he had two sons, John de Varde of Scotton and William de Varde of Givendale.
William de Varde had sons: William of Capes and Simon (made Sir Simon 1260, by Henry III).
Sir Simon had son, Sir Simon, knight and baronet, “A great Braon against the Scots;” and Sir Simon the second had two sons, Sir John, 1350, and Simon, “the Simon de Varde who married Margaret, a daughter of the House of Mortimer, Lords of Attilbury, County Norfolk, and ancestors of the Lords of Norfolk.”
Simon and Margaret de Varde's son John married Elena de Boost or de Bois; their son, John, 2nd, married Katherine Applegard.
Robert de Varde, son of John and Katherine Applegard de Varde, married Alice Kemp, had a son, Robert, 2nd, who married a Copperdick; and their son, Robert, 3rd, married a daughter of Sir Giles Capel of London, ancestor of the Earls of Essex, and had three sons, Henry Warde of Homersfield, who married ____ Hare, daughter of John Hare, D.C.L., of Homersfield, Norfolk.
Richard, son of Thomas Warde and ___ Hare, married Anne, daughter of Sir Richard Gunville; Munsell's “American Ancestry” for 1894 calls him “Sir Richard Ward, Knt. Of Homersfield and Gorleston, Suffolk County, England,” and says it was his son, Andrew Ward, who came to New England in 1634, and married Esther Sherman, daughter of Edmund and Joan Sherman, in which case Andrew Ward is the fifteenth in descent from Osbert de Varde." -END (is Richard Gunville (aka: Sir Richard Grenville? Names, often, had various spellings in historical documents- for various reasons- perhaps checking the Grenville line could suss out some information).

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion