Constance de Bretagne - Husband of Constance de Mayenne (de Bretagne), Viscountess of Rohan

Started by Bridgette Stewart on Thursday, February 9, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
2/9/2017 at 12:15 AM

The husband of Constance de Mayenne (de Bretagne), Viscountess of Rohan was actually Alan de La Zouche, Lord of Rohan. That is where she obtained the title "Viscountess of Rohan."

Here is the link to Alan. I am new to this and am not sure how to link it. I am a descendant of King Henry I, Maud, Princess of England, and Constance, Princess of Brittany.

Alain la Zouche, Lord of Ashby la Zouche

@Bridgette Stewart

Private User
2/12/2017 at 7:24 PM

I hope you didn't get that information from Wikipedia - it's not authoritative, because anybody can post anything with or without documentation.

Looks like the Zouche tree is corrupted by bad information, too. There was a Geoffrey de Porhoet who married somebody named Hawise, but it was early in the 12th century, she was *not* the daughter of Alan "Fergant", and one of his *sons* became the first documented Zouche. Geoffrey's father was Eudes, first documented Vicomte de Porhoet.

Geoffrey's *brother* Alain (the family was far too fond of that name!) became Vicomte de Castelnoec (and possibly Rohan), probably by marrying the heiress (her first name, Villana, is on record, her ancestry is not). Alain's son Alain (see what I mean?) was the first explicitly recorded Vicomte de Rohan.

Cawley's Medieval Lands is in general a better guide to who was whom in the Middle Ages,because he accepts nothing without documentation and clearly labels speculation as speculation. http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/BRITTANY.htm

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion