God Almighty . - God Almighty is NOT your 85th Great Grandfather

Started by Private User on Sunday, December 25, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 181-210 of 273 posts

Steven, Odin is actually a much more interesting problem than Adam. I think so, anyway. There are no proofs to connect anyone now living to anyone in the Bible, so it's very easy. It's all fake.

But, with Odin, there is no real, reasonable, academic place to cut the lines. You just go back and back. This guy is real. His father is real. There's no reason to think his grandfather isn't real. But wait. Suddenly you're in the midst of a bunch of gods who you (the generic you) don't think can possibly be real. And there are giants and elves everywhere you look. Something has gone wrong somewhere and there's no way to know where that happened.

Justin Durand I was quibbling at Ben's rant, not yours!

I think that Odin was from the Greutungi, that he was alive in ca. 200's, and that he gave rise to the word goth, derived from his name, and gave rise to the later west (visi'gothi) and the east goths, (ostrogothi). They had approximately the same living area that consist on later with the Rus people of with some become vikings, also, the later named areas of Denmark, Jylland (Jutland), and Götaland, should steam from Odin, originally, Jutland and Jötaland, one man, not a god, but probably very effective when it came to gather Germanic tribes to defend theirs realm against the Roman empires expansion.

Justin, I understand (and agree with) what you are saying in response to what I have said.

Harald -- Ah! Sorry. The world doesn't revolve around me after all ;)

Justin wrote, "And there are giants and elves everywhere you look."

If I try to interpret Odin, I end up with the word "leudan", with the meaning grow, sprout up, also with a second meaning, figure, as in a person's bodily shape, = gestalt, thirdly, so big, in the same word, exist also a fourth meaning, hairy. The most likely interpretation combined is therefore a man of great stature, making the talk about giants a little more understandable, they were just taller, bigger, than ordinary people. The Germanic word for people, Leute, and the Russian ditto, люди, is likely to have the same etymological root as Odin's name.

So...Odin is/was a real person and not a Mythical God...and is my possible 42nd Great Grandfather?

And so then what about Thor?

I know "we" had discussed men becoming gods and gods becoming men, but I forget...is the expert opinion that Odin is not mythical?

Ulf,

The Big Bang is our Billionth Great Grandfather. ;)

Ben, no, The Big bang did not arise out of nothing, it's just another son of something else.

How many billions and billions of ancestors do we have, if we include every life that has and must have lived before us in order for us to become us? How do we count life that didn't used sex in its propagation, but only divided itself, should we count in atoms and particles in the very beginning and cataclysmic events? I don't think there's any meaning to do so, but we could have had an atheistic solution, beside the religious one.

Anyway, by cutting of lines to God etc, I believe that it happens on the expense of tens of thousands of Geni users defection, people that make complaints if the lines are presented here usually don't act on it, but the other side being content with it, just drops out.

Justin, I meant it the way it sounded. Christian's consider the old and the new parts of the Bible as equally important. You need both. After all Jesus was a Jew , preaching what we now call the old testament. I said nothing about Jews. Of course they only use the old Testament. I was talking about Christians., only., using both section of the Bible. At least when I attended Sunday school .we studied both.

Ben ,who knows , all myths are based on some facts. I wouldn't be surprised it the Gods as they were called actually did exits I IMAGINE THIS IS SOMETHING WE WILL NEVER KNOW.

The overwhelming majority opinion of scholars is that Odin is mythical. It's modern pseudo-science to say he's not. I think it's worth saying this in strong language, even though personally I think the case is over-stated.

Beyond that, there isn't a lot of agreement. He might have been a late addition to the pantheon. It's possible the name Odin was originally the name given by a local cult to a god with a different name.

Judging from place names and genealogies, he was the favored god of the Danes (and probably also of the Germans), while Frey was the favorite of the Swedes and Thor was the favorite of the Norwegians. His cult center was probably at Odense in Denmark.

There is internal evidence in the surviving literature that by historical times he was assimilating other gods into himself. For example, he seems to have almost completely assimilated Gaut, the mythical ancestor and probably chief god of the Goths. And, he was well on his way to assimilating Tyr, whose name suggests he was the original king of the Norse gods.

Ulf, I thought it was clear by the smiley-face that I was trying to make a joke about the big bang being our Nth Great Grandfather...

As usual Justin you are doing what Mr Trump does. Twisting everything around. I state I personally think there is usually some truth as a bsic od Myth. Didn't say not to read as myth. Most people do consider the God's as myth . I simply stated that in reality we will never know for sure. I really don't give a diddlely do what the scholars have to say. They can be right and they can be wrong. I don't care one way or the other. Just making a simple statement and that was it.I personally don't care if the so called Gods were real or not and I certainly don't expect to be related to any of them, if they were real.

Judy, I think for whatever reason you are hellbent on finding a reason to take offense.

The only comment I addressed to you was that I didn't think you meant to say it's not possible to have one without the other. That is, the "Old Testament" and the "New Testament". You clarified, saying you didn't mean anything about the Jews, which was the way it sounded. And, we're done.

My comments about Odin were intended to answer Ben's direct question on that subject.

And now suddenly you're off with personal mudslinging, comparing me to Trump. Amazing.

WELL, IT'S BEING TWISTED AGAIN. I SIMPLELY MADE MY COMMENT. aS FAR AS oDIN GOES, THAT WAS A BOARD STATEMNT AND HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH YOOU.

WELL, you do tend to twist words around. I never said anything about Jews. Just stated most Christians use both the old and new books in the Bible. At least my Sunday school did.
As far as Odin goes, I was referring to Ben too.
The Trump comment sort fits people like you who tend to twist and double talk and give long winded remarks.The man and his followers and suporters do also do that. They never never acturally answer a question. Just talk around it .If by any chance they acturally do answer, it's a;; double talk. I am sorry but often find your remarks and other people here too, not all, very much like this. It's like just get to the point. Makes me think of my late uncle George. Ask him a question and maybe a half hour later, if you are lucky, you get an answer. We use to all laugh about that, including uncle George.

Any genealogical tree is bound to have false ancestors, true ancestors, and dubious ancestors. If you look at the genealogy ascribed to Anglo-Saxon Kings, they often have heroic continental ancestors, who may (or more probably may not) have been their real ancestors, and may (or may not) have existed outside poetry, and Norse/Germanic gods, who I assume did not exist outside imagination. The simple problem (if you are dealing with "facts") is that you cannot decide where "fact" stops and "imagination" takes over. The fact that the Wessex tree starts with Cerdic and Cynric, both British rather than Germanic names, may or may not be "fact" in genealogical terms, But it does chime with archaeological evidence of continuity in the Wessex heartland, No-one on Geni (I think) claims descent from Ambrosius Aurelianus, the most likely historical figure connected with the supposed "King Arthur". No-one (I think) claims descent from Merlin, who Geoffrey of Monmouth said moved the stones to Stonehenge (a couple of thousand years out of date). But the nearest town to Stonehenge is Amesbury, which is a place named after Ambrosius, almost certainly Ambrosius Aurelianus and one of the very few Anglo-Saxon place-names named after an identifiable (or even unidentifiable) Celtic leader.

Mark

Mark,

There are users who claim descent from Ambrosius Aurelianus. And from Merlin. And from just about anyone you can think of. I get hate mail from them regularly. Probably all the curators do. I suppose no matter who we cut, we're going to offend someone.

Cutting Cerdic's ancestry has been at the top of my list for years. It should be a slam-dunk because scholarly opinion is so overwhelmingly against it. But, we have the same problem as with cutting Adam loose from G-d. Someone would have to maintain it. Without relationship locking, people will try to force it.

(Myrddin Emrys Merlin "The Magician" ap Morfryn is my second cousin 45 times removed)

Maybe Uther Pendragon, King Arthur's Father, Geoffrey of Monmouth Text is a candidate for a merge with Ambrosius Aurelianus ?

No, they aren't; the name of the Uther profile means that it is the son of Ambrosius, not Ambrosius.

But that entire line is made up, by a user with a fake name. It has been around a while, but if it is now getting noticed, I will go take care of it.

Yes, I realized that after posting but then saw you taking care of it so disregarded. Mistakenly assumed the wording was "one or the other name but two of the same" instead of "son of this guy who is also known as that guy". ; )

Yes. You get fake names involved in real Welsh, and things get mighty confusing.

I have been spending some time lately untangling the Arthurian lines. The early Welsh texts attached him into the real Welsh genealogies, which he shows up as attached to the world tree at all. He is another fictional ancestor.

But the later texts all have different genealogies. And they get smashed together. The method of having different Arthurs clearly marked as to what text they are from makes it easier to keep users from smashing everybody together.

The line you found was something else altogether and belongs to no existing text.

(Search King Arthur and you will see examples of the differing lines.)

Adam of Eden - currently has 2 wives on Geni

Eve of Eden
Private User

This profile is managed by a user called "Planet Earth" which looks suspect

Suris .
Son of Adam and Eve

Disconnected the second Eve, it's a claimed profile and would in worse case lock down the line if merged in-

I have seen added by "Adam AS" before, also on Strange Additions...

Seth
Has a descendancy of 24 generations that were created by Adam of Eden

Showing 181-210 of 273 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion