Started by Private User on Sunday, December 11, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 31 posts
Private User
12/11/2016 at 4:13 PM

Yeshuah Ben (ELOHIM) Ben Joseph is the correct name.

12/11/2016 at 5:59 PM

Ok... Proof please?
I am not a Biblical Scholar, I only know what my Records tell me.
I would like to know where to find this, to add to correct Records.

12/11/2016 at 6:11 PM

No proof necessary, this is a strictly academic issue:

- "Yeshuah" (or "Yeshua") is Hebrew for "Jesus" (and maybe also "Joshua")

- "ben" is Hebrew for "son of"

- "Elohim" is one of several Hebrew names for God

If this is to be put in His profile, I recommend that Hebrew language be added to the profile, then add it to the Hebrew name fields as appropriate.

12/11/2016 at 6:40 PM

I just peeked at His profile. It appears that someone already did as I suggested.

12/11/2016 at 7:35 PM

Yeshua ben Yosef is correct

12/11/2016 at 7:35 PM

That's how he would have been known

12/11/2016 at 8:59 PM

I agree His correct name is Yeshua ben Yosef and Miriam
However the name Yeshua In Hebrew is Salvation,and it was translated into the Greek language as Jesus meaning annointed. They teach that he is born into every generation waiting tobe redemmed!

12/11/2016 at 9:01 PM

I agree His correct name is Yeshua ben Yosef and Miriam
However the name Yeshua In Hebrew is Salvation,and it was translated into the Greek language as Jesus meaning annointed. They teach that he is born into every generation waiting tobe redemmed!

12/11/2016 at 11:16 PM

I'm happy to change it to Yeshu ben Yosef, if people feel this is closer to the original.

12/11/2016 at 11:18 PM

Yeshua

Private User
12/13/2016 at 8:38 AM

I like the Hebrew name. However, Jesus is the name used by Latinos and Anglo-Saxons. Thus, the name Jesus has to be considered in the searches.

There is NO RECORD of his name in Hebrew.

Change it to whatever you like, just be aware that this is a MODERN made up name.

1/10/2017 at 8:35 AM

Oh Shmuel, what are you talking about this "made up name"? Don't be bringing Atheism into this discussion, this Jesus we're talking about. I for one shall always call him Jesus, I'm from America.

1/10/2017 at 9:48 AM

This isn't atheism. Jesus' name is not recorded anywhere in original sources in a Hebrew form. The name Jesus is derived from the Latin Iesus, which is a transliteration of the Greek form Ἰησοῦς (Iesous). It's not clear whether Iesous was intended to be a translation of Yeshu, Yeshua, Yehoshua, or something similar.

I don't see any problem with using a made up name if that's what people want, but I agree with Shmuel -- just be aware it's a "best guess" not a fact.

1/10/2017 at 10:09 AM

Can't resist a quick anecdote. I first heard about the academic question of Jesus' name from my childhood minister. He was a very scholarly man, who spoke Latin, Greek, and Hebrew. The old style minister.

His advice to us was, "You won't get closer to him by lying about his name, and pretending you know the original form."

1/10/2017 at 11:01 AM

So the Greek version is the oldest written form that we have?

1/10/2017 at 1:58 PM

Pretty much.

It's a complicated topic, though.

The Aramaic form is Yeshuuʕ or Ishoʕ, which might be even older, except that most scholars think this form is also a translation from the Greek. But Syrian Christians disagree. Plus, experts think Jesus' main language was Aramaic not Hebrew, so perhaps this could be the earliest attested form.

1/10/2017 at 3:49 PM

It's worth noticing another problem. The original suggestion was that Jesus' real name was "Yeshuah Ben (ELOHIM) Ben Joseph".

There is no authority in the earliest texts for ben Elohim. That's a very modern idea.

The earliest texts we have are Greek. The idioms in the text show the Greek is a translation from an Aramaic original. Then we also have later Aramaic texts that might be translations from the Greek, or might be original. So, that's a problem right there.

In the Greek text, son of G-d is "Huios tou Theou" (Matthew 26:63; Luke 22:70). In the Aramaic text, son of G-d is "bar-Dalaha". Neither one of those is anywhere close to "ben Elohim", so that's just a wild guess.

1/11/2017 at 4:12 AM

Thankyou. That's fascinating.

I'm really happy to use Yeshuuʕ as the closest approximation of the Aramaic.

Any version of the 'son of God' is unlikely to have been his birth name.

3/2/2017 at 7:29 AM

Perhaps the name Jesus carries the meaning for the world. It is generally the name most know him by.

Yehuda Rubin,
the Talmudic "Yeshu" is NOT a "name", it's a play on his name, it's an acronym of יימח שמו וזכרו. As such, it worked, because his Jewish name is truly erased.

3/8/2017 at 2:42 PM

Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן Justin Durand Thank you for pointing those out to me. I have deleted my previous post.

3/8/2017 at 3:52 PM

Deleted mine as well. Shmuel's note is worth preserving, though.

Private User
4/3/2017 at 8:44 PM

Luke 23:38 (KJV)
And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, This Is The King Of The Jews.

John 19:19-22
And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was Jesus Of Nazareth The King Of The Jews.
This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin.
Then said the chief priests of the Jews to Pilate, Write not, The King of the Jews; but that he said, I am King of the Jews. Pilate answered, What I have written I have written.

Private User
4/3/2017 at 8:49 PM

English~~~Jesus
Latin~~~lesvs
Greek~~~lesous
Ancient Aramaic~~~Eashoa'
Hebrew~~~Yahshua(one of many differant spellings)
Hosea the prophets name even comes from the root meaning of salvation>>>>The names Hosea, Joshua, and Jesus are all from the same Hebrew root word. Hosea translates as salvation but Joshua and Jesus carry an additional idea:"Yahweh Is Salvation."

Private User
4/3/2017 at 8:54 PM

Hosea 2:16 And it shall be at that day, saith the Lord, that thou shalt call me Ishi; and shalt call me no more Baali.
(Meaning of the word Ishi~my husband, my salvation,to deliver)
The two roots (yasha'>The derivatives of this verb:(yeshua) meaning salvation) and (shawa'>The derivatives of this verb:(shua')means to cry for help )
Hosea 2:23 And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God.
Romans 9:24-26
even us whom He hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
As He saith also in Hosea: “I will call them ‘My people,’ who were not My people, and ‘her beloved’ who was not beloved.”
And, “It shall come to pass that in the place where it was said unto them, ‘Ye are not My people,’ there shall they be called the children of the living God.”

Private User
4/3/2017 at 9:01 PM

John 1:3
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Revelation 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
Revelation 19:13
And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

4/4/2017 at 12:07 AM

Probably a useful 'solution' will come out of discussing article such as these: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeshua and https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_(name) and https://askdrbrown.org/library/what-original-hebrew-name-jesus-and-... - just to pick three that Google throws out.

Private User
4/4/2017 at 4:38 AM

So from reading the links you posted it's definitely not the Aramaic.
It's either Yehoshua, Yeshua, Jesus.

I think it doesn't matter what Language you use His name in He knows our heart and wants all to come to the knowledge of Him. We are to spread the gospel to reach everyone even in their own language.

I prefer to use Jesus because that's what I was raised with and know He hears me when I call on Him using the name Jesus.

4/4/2017 at 4:46 AM

Thanks Elizabeth. His display name is Jesus. Can I ask you to keep the discussion to the genealogical and historical issues? This isn't the appropriate place for proselytizing.

Showing 1-30 of 31 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion