Annetje Jellise Oosterhout (Fonda) - Not a Fonda?

Started by Alex Moes on Tuesday, December 6, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 15 posts
12/6/2016 at 4:55 PM

A Dutch researcher has advised me that there is a conflict regarding Annetje Oosterhout (Fonda)

She cannot be of the Fonda family born 1641 in Eagum.

Jelle Douwes (progenitor of Fonda family but not to my knowledge ever using the name) married Hester Douwes (same patronym as husband) April 1641 in Amsterdam and their eldest son is baptised November 1641 in Amsterdam.

So either Annetje's birth date is wrong, or her parents are.

12/6/2016 at 6:04 PM

The 1641 marriage record of her “parents” apparently states that Jellis Douwesz was from Eagum, I say apparently because if I squint I can imagine that it says “Agum” but I have to squint really hard, so I am assuming that the current birth location on her profile of “circa 1641 Eagum, Friesland, Netherlands” comes from a conflation of the two events, her alleged birth in 1641 and her alleged parent’s marriage in 1641. As per above her parents were married in Amsterdam so they weren’t anywhere near Eagum, if that even is where Jellis really was from.

12/6/2016 at 6:05 PM

Bommel can be found on Wikipedia/Google Maps under it’s modern name Zaltbommel.

Tagging old mate Hendrick Hendrickse van den Oever, who is also allegedly from Zaltbommel so may provide a clue.

12/6/2016 at 6:19 PM

Speaking of CLUES Annetje Hendricks is showing as a daughter of Hendrick Hendrickse van den Oever BUT … get ready, her husband is none other than Jan Jansen Oosterhout…. Follow the dots… he is the husband of Annetje Osteerhout

Remember this? :

1663 18 Feb; Jan Jansen, of Oosterhout, Brabant, wid Annetje Hendricks; Annetjen Jelles, jd, of Bommel, Gelderland, both liv Kingston

As well as telling us about the bride and groom it tells us that the groom was a widower previously married to “Annetje Hendricks”. So far so good.

It looks to me like bad genealogy has linked the birth place of Wife #2 (ie AJ van Bommel) with the father of Wife #1 (ie Hendrick van Laackervelt) probably via someone at some point not realising that Jan had two wives both named Annetje. So I think this solves the mystery of how Hendrick van Laackervelt could be shown as coming from Zaltbommel but does not help with mystery of whether Annetje was the daughter of Jellis Douwes or another Jellis.

12/6/2016 at 10:22 PM

Re: So either Annetje's birth date is wrong, or her parents are.

"Deaf" Hester Douwes & Jellis Douwesz were not the parents of Annetje Osteerhout

"Deaf Hester" had her own article in the NYGBR, summarized here

http://www.rockcreekexperiment.com/b656.htm#P1880

The Fonda's have no Annetje
http://www.fonda.org/
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=amfon...

I'll leave it to you to sort Hester's surnames! She had all of the above in records ....

"Hester's maiden name was VanArentsvelt; the Dutch family tree lists her as Hester Douwedr, using her father's first name in Dutch tradition; another source lists her father as "Douwe Janzoon deVries VanArentsvelt". Another lists Jans as Hester's maiden name, which is from her mother, Maria Jans ...."

12/6/2016 at 11:35 PM

LOL, midnight last night I signed up for a wikitree account so that i could explain to them why Hester Jans is without a shadow of a doubt not an accurate name, now 15 hours later you are unlocking my fields? :) Erica, Erica, Erica *sigh*

Douwess is the offically recorded name on her marriage cert, her terrible hand-writing when she signs seems to say Douwessen.

One theory is that a novice genealogist gave her the surname Jans once because both her parents have the patronym Jans. Once it was posted somewhere on the net ...

12/6/2016 at 11:37 PM

Possible parents for Annetje Hendricks !

She's not listed here but her siblings are

http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/m/y/e/Ron-C-Myers/GENE31-0129.html

2467.Lijsbeth~ Voet, born Abt. 1602 in possibly Zaltbommel, Netherlands.

Children of Hendrik~ Hendrickse and Lijsbeth~ Voet are:
  i.   Roelof Hendricksen, born Abt. 1622 in possibly Zaltbommel, Netherlands, or Mappelen, Drenth, Holland.
  1233 ii.   Maycke* Hendrickse, born 12 Dec 1624 in possibly Zaltbommel, Netherlands, or Mappelen, Drenth, Holland; died Aft. 1704 in New York; married (1) Willem Crom 07 Apr 1645 in Waardenburg, Gelderland; married (2) Jan Joosten Van Meteren 12 Dec 1646 in Mappelen, Dreuth, Hollan.
  iii.   Femmetje Hendrickse, born Abt. 1626 in possibly Zaltbommel, Netherlands; died Bef. 28 Oct 1668 in Netherlands; married Joost Adriansen Mollenauer Mar 1662/63 in Esopus or Kingston, Ulster County, NY; born Abt. 1642 in Pijnacker, Netherlands; died Jul 1683 in Bushwyck, Long Island, NY.

taken captive by Native Americans, later ransomed
Femmetje Hendricksen moved back to the old country after being captur ed by Indians.

[I thought she died in Bushwick?]

12/6/2016 at 11:39 PM

Back to Annetje:

She arrived 1662 on the Hoop - "Annetje Gillis van Beest; servant girl"

http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/nnship08.shtml

Ten years after the Fonda family so no way is she a daughter of Jellis & Hester

12/7/2016 at 10:16 PM

There might be siblings, there were other Gellies / Jellies shaking along in the Kingston register spelled every which way. I extracted Annetje's children's baptisms & added to the profile overview, I didnt go through the witness register yet.

12/7/2016 at 11:26 PM
12/7/2016 at 11:29 PM

1656 Feb 09; Jan Janszen Van Oosterhout, Anna Hendricks; Hendrick; Lysbeth Dircks [12]
1666 Nov 05; Jan Jansen van Oosterhout, Annetjen Jellis; Jan; Cornelis Cornelisse Vernoey, Annetjen Cornelis [8]
1668 Oct 15; Jan Jansen Van Oosterhout, Annetie Gielis; Teunes; [8]
1679 Aug 31; Jan Jansse Van Oosterhout, Annetie Gilles; Kryn; Jan Mattysse, Maddeleen Blanjan [8]

12/7/2016 at 11:30 PM

1681 Aug 28; Jan Jansen van Osterhout, Annetyen Jellis; Gisbert; Elsyen Breeste

12/7/2016 at 11:32 PM

Elsyen Breeste the witness for Gisbert jumps out at me because of her surname(?) being similar to the name on the ships manifest "Annetje Gillis van Beest", maybe a sister?

1/9/2018 at 2:52 PM

despite this rather clear statement https://www.geni.com/discussions/163052?msg=1121105

>"Deaf" Hester Douwes & Jellis Douwesz were not the parents of Annetje Jillis

Annetje Osteerhout has somehow ended up connected again to her not parents :(

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion