Melanija Trump (Knavs) - First Name

Started by Private on Thursday, November 17, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Cropped from Photo by Regine Mahaux. Licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States license. Via Wikimedia Commons at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Melania_Trump_official_portrait.jpg

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
Private
11/17/2016 at 4:03 PM

Why is her first name in English Slovenian? Her English proper name is Melania.

11/17/2016 at 4:06 PM

Have you added the name in Slovenian?

Private User
11/17/2016 at 4:23 PM

Melania Knauss is a stage name. There's no record that she formally changed her legal name when she came to the United States. Unless you have one?

Private
11/17/2016 at 4:29 PM

I changed her English name to Melania Knauss and her curator and made Melanija Knavs her Slovenian name but her curator reverted her English name back to Melanija Knavs so now it's wrong in my opinion as well as redundant.

Private User
11/17/2016 at 7:45 PM

So you found a good source saying that her *legal name* in the U.S. is/was Melania Knauss? Because I have looked this year and not found one.

Until we find such a source, I don't see how we can operate under anything other than the assumption that "Melania Knauss" is a stage name, as reported by The Washington Post and others, and that her legal name is still Melanija (Knavs) Trump.

Private User
11/17/2016 at 7:50 PM

Her English display name should, of course, be Melania Trump. I'm sure that Oton Zagorc would agree to that.

11/18/2016 at 12:28 AM

Her birth surname is Knavs and will remain so even if she changes her surname. But a changed surname IMO doesn't belong into the "Birth Surname" field.

Likewise her first name at birth was Melanija. As she prefers to call herself Melania Knavs I put this name in the "Also Knows As" field. If you need to translate it in English then it should probably be Melanie because Melania is actually latin.

I don't really see the need to translate Melanija into Melania. It's not as if the first form is unrecognisable to an english speaker. We in Slovenia don't generally translate foreign names (Uošington, Njujork, Džon, Klinton) except if a name is entrenched in the language. For example, the capital of Austria Wien has been known as Dunaj for centuries (and in Croatian it is Beč)

Whatever, she now has both English and Slovenian names.

11/18/2016 at 12:31 AM

Thank you, Oton. "Melania" is how she's known in US, we'll get blowback if that's not the English first name.

5/3/2023 at 10:16 AM
Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion