Ragnvald Eysteinsson, Mørejarl - Descendants of Ragnvald Mørejarl

Started by Harald Tveit Alvestrand on Monday, November 14, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 22 posts
11/14/2016 at 2:30 PM

Since I couldn't get back to sleep this morning, I decided to do a bout of wild speculation instead.

There's ongoing work to check the DNA of Ganger-Rolf's heirs in Rouen to ascertain their ancestry. I started wondering about the other side of the question: Do we have someone to compare them against?

The result is an analysis of whether we have male-line descendants of Ragnvald Mørejarl in the Geni database that could be tested. It turns out that there are - but they're all descended from a single ancestor around 1500, and this ancestor does not have documentation on Geni.

Analysis here: https://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Descent_from_Ragnvald_M%C3%B8rejarl

Take it as entertainment! (unless you have a friend in this family group that could be convinced to test!)

11/15/2016 at 1:17 AM

Love it :-)

Private User
11/15/2016 at 4:46 AM

Personally I suspect that this historical DNA test ends up as another - they will sit on the results as long as it is possible to make money (writing books etc) and academic career on it. I doubt that the results will show up on sites where we freely can compare our own DNA with it.

11/15/2016 at 5:03 AM

:-(
But if enough Y line descendants on geni were to test we'd be able to compare them for ourselves.

Private
11/15/2016 at 8:15 AM

Fun trace, with good old 29th ggf Ragnvald Eysteinsson...and Uncle Nils Havardsson...again all my lines go back through multiple layers of daughters as there are 7 consecutive generations of daughters between Hakun Jallur and Sigurd Gautesson Gaite..so my Y is out of the game LOL....and even though Eiliv Torsteinsson is listed in Geni as 26th GGF, it is a vastly different route that goes through that problematic Klevar/Lindhein corridor (for me due to Tone Torbjornsdatter Sodheim & Reine).

11/15/2016 at 1:36 PM

Managed to sort out a parent conflict (I think) on the path, so the group I found now has two more levels of ancestors, and there are more branches to pursue - the new ones all go through Gaute på Ornes, Ænes, who is someone most genealogists have encountered before.

The nice thing about Geni "facts" is that they change all the time :-)

11/16/2016 at 12:51 AM

There are several of us who have been genetically tested and who are directly descended from the Somerled line. Once we know the DNA of Rollo's descendants in France currently being analysed it will be easy to see if Ragnvald Morejarl is or is not of that line as is speculated by some researchers.

11/16/2016 at 1:16 AM

Sandy Burnfield Somerled, “King of the Isles” is currently listed with an Irish-looking father-line ancestry. Is there an alternative theory that has him as a son of Ragnvald, and where does it diverge from the listed line and connect to Ragnvald's line?

11/16/2016 at 1:26 AM

That has been proved wrong - Somerled is genetically of Norse origin and not Irish, with connections to Kings of Mann etc. The Somerled llne can't be best seen in the Clan Donald DNA project which is very extensive and well documented.

11/16/2016 at 1:37 AM

Sandy Burnfield as in y-dna haplogroup? The profile mentions R1a1 (=R-M459), but that is a group that is old enough to have had individuals travelling around a *lot* (14.000 years according to https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-M459/).

So there's no *specific* story of Somerled's ancestors that connects him to Ragnvald?

11/16/2016 at 5:14 AM

Well done! It maby ends all speculations
M.V.H
Svante.

11/16/2016 at 5:17 PM

There's no way to end all speculation :-) But hopefully we can speculate on a more informed basis.

11/17/2016 at 12:57 AM

The Y DNA hapkogroup linked to Somerled's line is quite specific and is shared by all the Clan Donald Chiefs now living and many others in Clans Finald, Dougal, McAllister, McInnis and others. These Chiefs and there families are related to other Norse in Scotland and Ureland and Scandavia. Somerled is a Norse name and is of Norse "aristocratuc" origin and is likely to have had ancestire especially in Orkney and Shetland eg Ragnvald's relative the Jarl of Orkney. Direct genetic links not yet oroved that far back

11/17/2016 at 12:58 AM

That should have said Ckan Donald - MacDonalds and others related to them

11/17/2016 at 2:44 AM

This may be of interest as well as the historical and other stuff on this site http://www.clan-donald-usa.org/index.php/dna-layout/13-dna-project/...

11/17/2016 at 2:50 AM

And this as well as other historical stuff http://www.clan-donald-usa.org/index.php/dna-before-somerled

11/17/2016 at 4:09 AM

Thanks - this page indicates that his likely haplogroup was FGC11892 YP326 / 6777158 - I've noted that in the profile page of Somerled, “King of the Isles” .

11/17/2016 at 5:33 AM

Thanks

11/17/2016 at 5:39 AM

Thanks for putting the DNA in - but it still has R1b under Ethnicity which should also be changed

11/17/2016 at 7:06 AM

I'm not sure what it should say, actually. "Ethnicity" is a slippery concept at the best of times. I'd be more comfortable with blanking the field.

11/17/2016 at 7:07 AM

but R1b is clearly wrong. I blanked it.

11/17/2016 at 9:13 AM

Yes, best solution!

Showing all 22 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion